IGNORED

Athletically Fit Golf Shirts

Note: This thread is 3929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I think you'll find varying definitions of athletic fit.  I was thinking you were targeting those with broader shoulders and chest, slimmer waist, but kind of lost me with the sleeves.  Most sleeves on "athletic fit" golf shirts I've tried tend to be too tight and short on my arms which is annoying because they pull during my swing.   Would be interested in seeing what you develop.  Good Luck.

I found the exact opposite.  Most "athletic fit" golf shirts i've tried on tend to be to long and wide in the sleeve. This is from most popular brands like Nike, Addidas, etc.  The closest thing I've found to fit me correctly is the Puma shirts which retail for around 60 dollars.  I think difference in opinion on correct fit correlates to age.  An athletic fit to a 45 year old is absolutely not the fit for a 20 something year old.

• Upvote 2

So this is a brilliant idea.  I actually stumbled on on this thread trying to research slim fit golf clothing on google.  I'm a 5'10 138lbs amature road bike racer.  It is simply impossible to find golf apparel that fits me.  What most companies call a small is just a joke.  Shirts fit me like a potato sack.  Huge sleeves and tons of fabric to tuck in.  Pants are tough too.  It's OK to find sizes here in NYC but when I go home to Tennessee, stores don't even stock 28 inch waists.  I've found some american apparel stuff that fits like I want, but they don't have the performance moisture wicking fabrics I'd like for those hot summer days.  A website that specialized in golf clothes for guys my size would be awesome.  I say go for it!  There are websites that rate and review the fit of cycling clothes with an emphasis on slimer guys.  Of course, I know your average bike racer is definately more cut than your average golfer. There is certainly a void for trim guys like me who want nice looking clothes that fit on the course.

I think this is a good idea.  the people here responding negatively obviously dont get what you are trying to do.  these are people that are probably ashamed to look at themselves in the mirror.  if you made golf shirts cut for athletic fit reasonably priced and looked stylish and not like cheap crap i would be all over it.   I am 45 inches in the chest and 34 inches in the waist and its impossible to find golf shirts wide enough for my shoulders that arent like a dress in the waist.  I assume others with shared Adonis DNA have similar difficulty.  I get it...theres plenty of golf shirts out there for all the moo cows.  But there are hardly any options for us who take pride in our physical fitness.  Just make them stylish.

Originally Posted by Golfisfun

Unfortunately John, my aim is to not target the "average" golfer, as that would doom my product from the start.  The competition in that market is far too fierce for my little self to ever create profit.  As I have defined my goals, I want an automated, supplemental source of income (yes, this process can be automated).  Plus, it is something I would love to do.  So this requires me to target a niche market.  Since I am a young, athlete/golfer, I am looking to target this market, which I realize is a small fraction compared to the whole population of golfers.  But that is the point.  It is not so important that my market HAS money (such as your average country club golfer), but SPENDS money, which I believe describes young people (we love to buy stuff!).

I hope though, that maybe you could fit into my shirts if I make them!  May I ask what specific parts do not fit you right (ie. shoulders, too short, sleeves, etc.)?

Best,

Adam

I think you are missing my point here, or maybe you guys dont get the same problem in the USA !!!

I strongly believe that the current sizing from the likes of Puma, Nike, well all the big names is NOT in line with the current average body shape.  I'm 28 years old, 6ft2, 19 stone and i can JUST squeeze into a Nike dry fit XXL.  Now if i try a XXL from the same maufactuer but a different shirt it might not fit.  One wash and the dry fit is pulling on my shoulders during a swing.

The other think that gets me is why make a shirt for in XXL but not the same size in pants !!!! It does not make sense !!!

I find ALL shirts to short, i am one of the people you see on a course with shirt hanging out, simply because i CANT tuck it in.

If you see my vid with my swing you will see my body shape, in in a ASHWORTH shirt there which is big enough but its like a tent !!!

Originally Posted by Shorty

What an aggressive response!  You'll make a lot of friends in business with that attitude.

Perhaps you missed the bit in my initial response where I wrote:

If you want to set up business and produce and sell shirts that you think people will buy, that's fantastic.

Good luck. You have to find a niche where people will think that your shirts are worth the money they pay, be it $25 or $125.

As for the price of the JL shirts, my point is that if they can charge that much, and people want to buy them, why shouldn't they?

I would personally never pay that much for even an "athletically fit" shirt, but I have no issue with those who do.

As for your pretentiuous and verbose tirade regarding demand and supply and the "real world", leprechauns and unicorns do not inhabit a world were manufatcturers merely set a price at the point where people will pay it.

And I hardly think that profit maximisation for the firm equaling welfare maximisation for the consumer (your terms, not mine) is someting that overly concerns companies that sell for relatively high prices, because a person paying $125 for a shirt may well think his welfare is being well catered for.  In fact, their sales would most likely go down if the prices fell too much. Companies like JL are selling exclusivity, more than anything else. But.... the girlfriend of a Sandtrapper who "works in the clothing industry" will be able to tell you that.

If you are able to manufacture, promote and distribute good quality shirts at a price that consumers like - that would be great.

Couldn't you argue that the reason for spending $125 for a shirt is a lack of available substitutes?  I think there is absolutely a market for athletic-cut golf shirts.  The companies that sell them are typically designer-type providers that charge obscene prices for the general masses.  For those of us living in the real world, I would absolutely consider purchasing reasonably priced shirts that fit well.

Driver: Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5° | Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15° | Irons: Mizuno MP-57 3-PW | Wedges: Cleveland CG11 52° 56° 60° | Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie

Golfisfun

I would like to chime in on your entrepreneurial idea.  I think you have a great idea, athletic fitting golf shirts! It is a niche market but that's what makes it a good opportunity.  Although, after reading all the other posts to your tread...I like some of the others ideas of fitting a average, yet taller or broader build of individual, especially in a style of shirt that fits and is produced with 100% polyester or other microfibers! Please don't get me wrong, by all means run with your idea I think it's great.

For the last year or so, I've been reading treads and doing my own research on most of these topics discussed here.  The market has plenty of room for more apparel, especially if priced in the $20-$40 range and good quality.  I'm in the final stages of finishing my website that will accommodate a wide variety of golfers, male, female and children, as well as varying styles of golf clothes...Shirts, windbreakers, fleeces, mock T's etc...All the while keeping body symmetry as the number one priority.

I have located and contracted a very reputable apparel wholesaler that has agreed to drop ship the merchandise for me once I place an order.  I have tested the market with some of the shirts and the response has been overwhelming.  The apparel is 100% polyester or spandex 70/30 split.  I started doing this on the side to make a couple extra dollars to help with my golf rounds and the idea has grown and spawned different avenues!

I think your idea is great and apparel is easily marked up 300%, but at a 50% mark up the sky is the limit! If you already have a supplier than kudos for you...If not, we can chat and maybe we can put something together.

9iron29

The issue here is that we all have different definitions of athletic fit, and are looking for options.  A cyclist that is 5' 10" and weight 138 is certainly athletic as is a person that is 6' 1" 215 lbs with a 48" chest and 34" waist.  In the first case the shoulders, and arm sleeves are too big, in the second case there isn't enough shoulder and arm space.

Two totally different sets of issues with how the current offering of golf shirts fit, and two very different patterns to create a design for.  You need to better define your target market if you want better feedback.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...

Originally Posted by aton63

So this is a brilliant idea.  I actually stumbled on on this thread trying to research slim fit golf clothing on google.  I'm a 5'10 138lbs amature road bike racer.  It is simply impossible to find golf apparel that fits me.  What most companies call a small is just a joke.  Shirts fit me like a potato sack.  Huge sleeves and tons of fabric to tuck in.  Pants are tough too.  It's OK to find sizes here in NYC but when I go home to Tennessee, stores don't even stock 28 inch waists.  I've found some american apparel stuff that fits like I want, but they don't have the performance moisture wicking fabrics I'd like for those hot summer days.  A website that specialized in golf clothes for guys my size would be awesome.  I say go for it!  There are websites that rate and review the fit of cycling clothes with an emphasis on slimer guys.  Of course, I know your average bike racer is definately more cut than your average golfer. There is certainly a void for trim guys like me who want nice looking clothes that fit on the course.

Couldn't agree more. I am 15 years old. 5'6 and not much over 100 lbs. All the golf shirts I can find today are way to baggy, long in the sleeve and short in the body. I am to big for youth shirts and to small for regular adult sizing. Nike and adidas are getting lazy. the only difference between a small and an xxl are the length of the shirt. the width and the sleeve are all the same no matter what shirt you get. All the nike sponsored pros have nice narrow tight fitting shirts, but when you go to the store, all you can get is a big baggy fitting one. I don't know if they realize they would sell so much more if they paid attention to the fitting!

I think several companies have already beat you to this niche.

St. John's Bay and Croft & Barrow (traditional cotton knit), and Walter Hagen (quick-dry). These companies all put out a golf shirt that's size M (medium), the new slim cut.

Until last year, I wore size L golf shirts. But suddenly, possibly due to the obesity craze, L shirts are noticeably baggy at the shoulders. So, I switched to size M.

My doctor correctly says I'm about 15 lbs. overweight (5-foot-9, 185 lbs.), and I haven't lost as much weight as I should. But, a lot of people evidently are worse off, and my shift to size M backs this up.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I think you should just get bigger like we club golfers do eating that KFC and then you wouldn't have to pay so much for shirts.

Originally Posted by Golfisfun

Hi all-

I'm entertaining the idea of starting a line of athletically fit golf shirts for a very reasonable price.  I'm talking shirts for people who are in average to excellent physical shape, basically not large like your average club golfer ;)  I'm just trying to see if there is interest for a product such as this.  I have found brands that do have a slimmer fit such as J Lindberg, but they run $125 which I think is ridiculous.  Any feedback would help!

Adam

Butch

• 1 year later...
I Am 5 10 , 160 lbs. And very fit, I like golf shirts that are Fitted, not the baggy sleeves, for the topical out of shape hacker with big guts and flabby arms. Any suggestions where I can find shirts that don't have sleeves that look like flags flapping int he wind? No offense to the average overweight, out of shape golfer, just need need some advise from those of you who have I the same problem. Thanks. Jack M. Greensboro NC

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by Rip24

I think this is a good idea.  the people here responding negatively obviously dont get what you are trying to do.  these are people that are probably ashamed to look at themselves in the mirror.  if you made golf shirts cut for athletic fit reasonably priced and looked stylish and not like cheap crap i would be all over it.

funny - seems there's a much larger market available for pear shaped golfers.  Perhaps adding a small cleaning rag for expensive watches and designer sunglasses would sell more product.

We have a store with a dress shirt brand here that has regular, and both a "trim" cut, and a different "athletic" cut and another 'fitted' cut - and it's not the expensive suit store either (I think it's a Kohls or something).  It pretty much comes down to the degree of tapering one needs.  It's nice to have a options.  I'm certain that 'normal' shirts don't even go straight down, I'm convinced they all 'pear' out in shape as standard now.  They have so much excess waist material that it's pretty impossible to keep it tucked in.

The PGA should have a 'fitness' requirement so the kids have better role models in terms of nutrition and fitness.

I have a more athletic cut, and I have no issue finding golf shirts that fit well.  It's regular clothes (dress shirts) where I have issues.  Key point there is wider shoulders than waist, and enough length in the torso (still trim) that it stays tucked in.  AND, one that's my waist and shoulder fit, but still has an option for a collar size that doesn't choke.

Bill - 

Originally Posted by Shorty

??????

I didn't say that I would pay that much. I thought it was pretty clear that I am saying that JL wouldn't be in business if others didn't want to pay their prices.

Who are we to criticise others for paying what they want to pay?

As for the "economics lesson", it's pretty obvious that it is needed if someone who wants to go into business sees a successful company and calls their prices "ridiculous".

That price IS ridiculous.  To myself and the OP.  A six figure salary still won't justify paying $125 for a golf shirt in my opinion.  Of course there are people who live paycheck to paycheck and enjoy their J Fer or whatever it is called.  To each their own.

OP- I get Snake eyes polos at Golfsmith.  Always on sale at $25 and VERY thin, like, you can see chest hair thin.  Tight on arms and shoulders a little baggy at the waist but ok.  Love them.  You'll have a tough bunch to compete with but good luck if you're wanting to go out on your own.

I would never pay $125 for a golf shirt. Not sure that I would even pay $50 for one. I bought my puma shirts for $20. But someone must be paying $125 or they wouldnt still be in business. Either rich people or those who live beyond means.

Originally Posted by edindallas

I would never pay $125 for a golf shirt. Not sure that I would even pay $50 for one. I bought my puma shirts for $20.

But someone must be paying $125 or they wouldnt still be in business. Either rich people or those who live beyond means.

Nailed it.

I would not be interested, sorry. There are already far too many options in the industry and quite frankly, there are selections in every fit and price range imaginable if you look in the right places and explore all outlets (even literally Outlet stores.. where Under Armour, Adidas, Nike, etc. are sold at 20-50% off and sometimes 70% off based on clearance/discontinuance).

Good luck in your endeavor though. Just remember that cost should not justify your business idea. Your business should be something that you thoroughly enjoy doing. Very few businesses that try to undercut the big dogs end up being successful. After all, you truly do get what you pay for.. even if misinformed people tell you that you're a brand ***** and paying for the name.

Originally Posted by Spyder

I would not be interested, sorry. There are already far too many options in the industry and quite frankly, there are selections in every fit and price range imaginable if you look in the right places and explore all outlets (even literally Outlet stores.. where Under Armour, Adidas, Nike, etc. are sold at 20-50% off and sometimes 70% off based on clearance/discontinuance).

Good luck in your endeavor though. Just remember that cost should not justify your business idea. Your business should be something that you thoroughly enjoy doing. Very few businesses that try to undercut the big dogs end up being successful. After all, you truly do get what you pay for.. even if misinformed people tell you that you're a brand ***** and paying for the name.

Spyder makes an excellent point that adds to what I said about Snake Eyes.  They're already making the shirt OP is describing.  It's already $25.  They're already an established name.  They're already in every big golf outlet.

But if the price point was the same, best believe I'd buy from a smaller company (I can appreciate the small business aspect).  But I wouldn't count on "word of mouth" keeping food on your table.  And I wouldn't count on me never buying again if the quality wasn't there.

Regarding "you get what you pay for": This is correct from my personal experiences, I have come across a couple $9 shirts that were great the first round I wore them.  Not so much when the fabric began pulling and the button fell off.

Note: This thread is 3929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!