IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay, I get it. Then I'm completely perplexed why he thinks he's so good?

Someone from Portland should humble his delusions?

I've played about 20 rounds with Dan and it's never been close. He's played with better players then me as well. It's not like he doesn't know what good players look like. His old club CECC has some of the best amateurs in the state. About 20-30 + caps that are all contenders in everything Pacific Northwest Amateur and Oregon State golf. He's also played with some former top players at University of Oregon and local pros that have or currently play on the European and Asian Tours. I'm sure he's been humbled many times, but that doesn't stop him from being delusional.

• Upvote 1

I would take Portland's climate over what I have in a heartbeat. And I recall him saying he didn't practice because it's too cold (30s) and mats. That's not inspiring. Northeasterners have to clean the car, drive through crap traffic conditions and brave the cold to practice in the winter. And I'm not too good for mats. You take what you have.

And in general, anyone who plays golf for fun, he/she in general is probably living a pretty good life. I see the case for inspiration w/respect to the war vet and the African American woman trying to help other African American women in corporate America, but the demographic Dan Plan is catering to, imho needs more good information than inspiration.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/2790#post_1109696"] Okay, I get it. Then I'm completely perplexed why he thinks he's so good? Someone from Portland should humble his delusions? ;-) [/QUOTE] I've played about 20 rounds with Dan and it's never been close. He's played with better players then me as well. It's not like he doesn't know what good players look like. His old club CECC has some of the best amateurs in the state. About 20-30 + caps that are all contenders in everything Pacific Northwest Amateur and Oregon State golf. He's also played with some former top players at University of Oregon and local pros that have or currently play on the European and Asian Tours. I'm sure he's been humbled many times, but that doesn't stop him from being delusional.

Then I think i need to bump him from being delusional to hallucinogenic. What in the heck is he smoking? Pot and mushrooms are legal in Oregon, right? :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Then I think i need to bump him from being delusional to hallucinogenic. What in the heck is he smoking? Pot and mushrooms are legal in Oregon, right?

He has to believe in the plan, he's got nothing else, but deep down I don't think he believes in the plan anymore. How could he? He might of when he started, but not now. He knows he's never getting to the PGA tour but at this point he's like a politician with talking points. He's not going to admit to the public that his plan will never get him anywhere close to the PGA Tour because at that point, the plan is over. I'd ride the wave too. Look at his current blog post, pictures of him with Clint Eastwood, Bill Murray, Larry the Cable Guy, and David Duval. He's having a good time, screw it. I totally get that mentality.

Seriously. The location argument is starting to bother me. It's been sunny and 55 the entire month here. This isn't the Mid West or New England where you can't play 5 months out of the year. It's one of the most mild climates in the country and both Portland and Seattle are consistently voted some of the best golfing cities in America.

Settle down on the location. I know you have to represent and all but still.

Settle down on the location. I know you have to represent and all but still.

Having lived in southwest Michigan for a number of years I feel like I need to inform people that the Pacific Northwest isn't a frozen tundra like other parts of the country. I can't tell you how many times I've run into people from the Midwest and East Coast that think because OR or WA is relatively close to the same longitude as them that somehow we get the same weather.

Seriously. The location argument is starting to bother me. It's been sunny and 55 the entire month here. This isn't the Mid West or New England where you can't play 5 months out of the year. It's one of the most mild climates in the country and both Portland and Seattle are consistently voted some of the best golfing cities in America.

Damn, we let the cat out of the bag, didn't we.

No. The climate is terrible. It rains all the time. 360 days out of the year! It's cold and windy from November through the end of March! Welcome to Washington. Now go home!

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Damn, we let the cat out of the bag, didn't we.

No. The climate is terrible. It rains all the time. 360 days out of the year! It's cold and windy from November through the end of March! Welcome to Washington. Now go home!

Let's just keep reiterating that so they'll stop moving here!

http://thedanplan.com/the-most-amazing-week-part-3/

. . .

The most impressive part of each of their games, to me, was their long iron play.  They hit their long irons as accurate as I hit my wedges.  Their putting was good, chipping good, driving the ball they hit it far, but the huge difference between where they are and where I am is that fact that 190-230 yards out they are going to stick it to within 20 feet whereas I’m just happy if I hit the green.

Charlie didn’t even have a hybrid or wood.  His set goes from driver to 2-iron and he could really pound that 2-iron.   they both hit the driver within 5 yards of each other and on Pebble didn’t hit driver on that many holes as it’s not a very long course, playing around 6,900 yards.  Even on the par 5 6th hole neither pulled driver and both got on the green in two.  Jason Eagled it from 6′ after having birdied the 5th and then birdied the 7th to bring his score down to 17 under and within 2 of the lead.  Later on Jason had a couple bogeys when he was pushing contention and then ended up 4th overall.  Charlie had a late push and birdied the last 3 holes to end up 3rd overall.  It was great golf on a beautiful Sunday and fun to watch them try and make a charge.

A sign that he is beginning to understand just how good the pros actually play?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

http://thedanplan.com/the-most-amazing-week-part-3/

A sign that he is beginning to understand just how good the pros actually play?

Again, skipped through most of the post, not really much for the whole celeb thing. Didn't know Feherty said he had a snowball's chance in hell. Sounds like something he'd say. Pretty sure he knows what they were capable of before PB.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Again, skipped through most of the post, not really much for the whole celeb thing. Didn't know Feherty said he had a snowball's chance in hell. Sounds like something he'd say. Pretty sure he knows what they were capable of before PB.

Feherty is great at putting a humorous spin on what a lot of people are thinking, but wouldn't say themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrvFrShow View Post

Another thing he's also engaging his left side way too soon on his downswing, and his left elbow is getting trapped. At impact his left elbow is still stuck. His body won the race. He also looks very tight and not fluid. Of course the weather up here hasn't been conducive to loose and fluid TBH. He also rolls his left foot slightly outside at the top of his swing

He must have tendency to hit a lot of thins.

Another bit from that link. Maybe Dan will understand now that his long game isn't near good enough and he really needs to spend time on his swing.

Quote:
The most impressive part of each of their games, to me, was their long iron play.  They hit their long irons as accurate as I hit my wedges.  Their putting was good, chipping good, driving the ball they hit it far, but the huge difference between where they are and where I am is that fact that 190-230 yards out they are going to stick it to within 20 feet whereas I’m just happy if I hit the green.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

I wonder if Dan realizes that Feherty wasn't joking. Regardless, that was a pretty damn cool photo of Jason Day. PGA could change their logo to that silhouette.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Feherty is great at putting a humorous spin on what a lot of people are thinking, but wouldn't say themselves.

He can be pretty blunt on air, he might be more diplomatic to Dan's face. Maybe not?

Kevin

http://thedanplan.com/the-most-amazing-week-continued-and-finalized/

I know there is a long way to go from where I am to where I want to be, but after watching these guys and then playing the same course from the same boxes and tees I have a deeper understanding of what I need to do to get to where I need to be.  They definitely do everything better, as they should.  But, if I had the same skill-set test a year or two ago I don’t think that I could have sniffed the 80s. There is a lot of work to be done and that’s the whole point.  I, very hopefully, look forward to having similar opportunities in the future as this was a great way to see exactly where I stand compared to the greats.  In comparison, they are still great and exactly why it is so fun to watch professional golf.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Well, awry last now we officially know he's delusional since he still thinks his goal is reachable after playing directly with pros.

Well, at last now we officially know he's delusional since he still thinks his goal is reachable after playing directly with pros.

I still want to know what he's smoking, must be really good? :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

He mentions he knows what he needs to do. What is that? No details. And what has he been working on for the last couple of weeks?

Steve

Note: This thread is 2428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!