IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

People that know him and are at his club must read the blog now and then. If they were reading that he couldn't play then seeing him out each day on the course eventually someone would call him out for it.

Except all comments on his blog are censored by Dan himself. I have tried to post on his blog precisely twice to give advice on how to prepare for tournaments after he played miserably in his first one. Both times my comments never made it onto his blog. Nobody in the media will take the story because it's not big enough to even run as a side article in a newspaper. The only people who would know are the ones who actually see him playing rather than recovering.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

I have no idea what he's doing and won't speculate, but leaving your blog followers w/no updates, in a lurch, what do you call this, socially disappearing? It's not nice to your followers.

Particularly those who donated to the cause.  FYI, I did not.

Neither did I. If there were pay X for detailed videos on how I achieved this, maybe .

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

I have no idea what he's doing and won't speculate, but leaving your blog followers w/no updates, in a lurch, what do you call this, socially disappearing? It's not nice to your followers.

Some have said as much on his blog.

I think he hurt his back pretty badly and can't play. I think that because that's what he says happened and unless I have reason not to believe someone I generally give them the benefit of the doubt. The reason why could be to do with his swing and/or lack of conditioning or could just be bad luck. Injuries happen in sport all the time. I played Rugby for 30 years, not sure I recall a season without some form of injury. In fact I'm not sure I recall a match without some form of injury, you just get used to ignoring them and getting on with it. Obviously Rugby's a different sport and adrenalin can mask the odd 'niggle' but in golf your performance will be effected far more easily.

I think the likelihood is he's hurt his back. People that know him and are at his club must read the blog now and then. If they were reading that he couldn't play then seeing him out each day on the course eventually someone would call him out for it.

If you're healthy enough to give an interview, considering interview was not delay published, you're healthy enough to type a couple of sentences.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

[QUOTE name="tdiii" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3610_10#post_1205667"]   [QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3600#post_1205661"] I have no idea what he's doing and won't speculate, but leaving your blog followers w/no updates, in a lurch, what do you call this, socially disappearing? It's not nice to your followers.[/QUOTE] Particularly those who donated to the cause.  FYI, I did not.  [/QUOTE] Neither did I. I didn't like the donate button. If there were pay X amount for detailed videos on how I achieved this, maybe. [QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3610_10#post_1205668"]   [QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3600#post_1205661"] I have no idea what he's doing and won't speculate, but leaving your blog followers w/no updates, in a lurch, what do you call this, socially disappearing? It's not nice to your followers.[/QUOTE] Some have said as much on his blog. I think he hurt his back pretty badly and can't play. I think that because that's what he says happened and unless I have reason not to believe someone I generally give them the benefit of the doubt. The reason why could be to do with his swing and/or lack of conditioning or could just be bad luck. Injuries happen in sport all the time. I played Rugby for 30 years, not sure I recall a season without some form of injury. In fact I'm not sure I recall a match without some form of injury, you just get used to ignoring them and getting on with it. Obviously Rugby's a different sport and adrenalin can mask the odd 'niggle' but in golf your performance will be effected far more easily. I think the likelihood is he's hurt his back. People that know him and are at his club must read the blog now and then. If they were reading that he couldn't play then seeing him out each day on the course eventually someone would call him out for it.[/QUOTE] If you're healthy enough to give an interview, considering interview was not delay published, you're healthy enough to type a couple of sentences.

Not arguing with you there :-)

Pete Iveson

[QUOTE name="tdiii" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3610_10#post_1205667"]   [QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3600#post_1205661"] I have no idea what he's doing and won't speculate, but leaving your blog followers w/no updates, in a lurch, what do you call this, socially disappearing? It's not nice to your followers.[/QUOTE] Particularly those who donated to the cause.  FYI, I did not.  [/QUOTE] Neither did I. If there were pay X for detailed videos on how I achieved this, maybe . [QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3610_10#post_1205668"]   [QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3600#post_1205661"] I have no idea what he's doing and won't speculate, but leaving your blog followers w/no updates, in a lurch, what do you call this, socially disappearing? It's not nice to your followers.[/QUOTE] Some have said as much on his blog. I think he hurt his back pretty badly and can't play. I think that because that's what he says happened and unless I have reason not to believe someone I generally give them the benefit of the doubt. The reason why could be to do with his swing and/or lack of conditioning or could just be bad luck. Injuries happen in sport all the time. I played Rugby for 30 years, not sure I recall a season without some form of injury. In fact I'm not sure I recall a match without some form of injury, you just get used to ignoring them and getting on with it. Obviously Rugby's a different sport and adrenalin can mask the odd 'niggle' but in golf your performance will be effected far more easily. I think the likelihood is he's hurt his back. People that know him and are at his club must read the blog now and then. If they were reading that he couldn't play then seeing him out each day on the course eventually someone would call him out for it.[/QUOTE] If you're healthy enough to give an interview, considering interview was not delay published, you're healthy enough to type a couple of sentences.

What would he write? Seems pointless.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

What would he write? Seems pointless.

Well, he could tell people what's going on. If he's injured as bad as he claims to be I should hope he went to a medical professional to get it diagnosed and have a plan for recovery.

Even something as simple as an estimate of when he might start back up again.

[QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3600#post_1205668"] People that know him and are at his club must read the blog now and then. If they were reading that he couldn't play then seeing him out each day on the course eventually someone would call him out for it.[/QUOTE] Except all comments on his blog are censored by Dan himself. I have tried to post on his blog precisely twice to give advice on how to prepare for tournaments after he played miserably in his first one. Both times my comments never made it onto his blog. Nobody in the media will take the story because it's not big enough to even run as a side article in a newspaper. The only people who would know are the ones who actually see him playing rather than recovering.

True. I just think someone somewhere would say something if he was. Not necessarily on his blog but somewhere. I have no idea why he didn't seem to go see a doctor earlier though. Over here we all have free health care so I'd be in to see my doc within the week if it seemed serious, the next day if I wanted to. Not sure how it works for you guys? I don't really get the silence but then Dan's never really interacted with 'followers' on the blog and has always been more interested in chatting to the media. You probably know I'm doing something broadly similar to Dan but nowhere near as ambitious. I started life as a 5.5 handicap (that was my initial handicap) and am aiming a good 2 levels (maybe 3) down compared to Dan. It's self financed and a tad more structured than Dan's Plan. I've been asked if I'd like to give an interview about it but personally I'd prefer to chat to golfers on here than some reporter. Different priorities I guess. I'm not going to judge Dan for it as I think he believes that's the best way to get sponsorship. As I wouldn't back me I see no reason why anyone else should so I think chasing sponsorship is a bit of a waste of time (as well as violating my Amateur status - my Golf Union would be all over me if I did, particularly as I'm coached at their Headquatres, our National Academy). But anyway, no I don't get not responding to people on his blog. What's the point in a blog if it's just one sided? You may as well just keep a personal diary.

Pete Iveson

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3618#post_1205690"] What would he write? Seems pointless.[/QUOTE] Well, he could tell people what's going on. If he's injured as bad as he claims to be I should hope he went to a medical professional to get it diagnosed and have a plan for recovery. Even something as simple as an estimate of when he might start back up again.

I suppose so, but a back injury isn't like a sprained ankle. So, I can picture him making a statement in a couple months, if stopping the project becomes inevitable. He also uses Twitter and other such media for his hard core fans. Perhaps, that's how he is communicating? BTW, at least you have some chance of meeting your goal, @Nosevi .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

[quote name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3618#post_1205678"][QUOTE name="tdiii" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3610_10#post_1205667"]   [QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3600#post_1205661"] I have no idea what he's doing and won't speculate, but leaving your blog followers w/no updates, in a lurch, what do you call this, socially disappearing? It's not nice to your followers.[/QUOTE] Particularly those who donated to the cause.  FYI, I did not.  [/QUOTE] Neither did I. If there were pay X for detailed videos on how I achieved this, maybe . [QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3610_10#post_1205668"]   [QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3600#post_1205661"] I have no idea what he's doing and won't speculate, but leaving your blog followers w/no updates, in a lurch, what do you call this, socially disappearing? It's not nice to your followers.[/QUOTE] Some have said as much on his blog. I think he hurt his back pretty badly and can't play. I think that because that's what he says happened and unless I have reason not to believe someone I generally give them the benefit of the doubt. The reason why could be to do with his swing and/or lack of conditioning or could just be bad luck. Injuries happen in sport all the time. I played Rugby for 30 years, not sure I recall a season without some form of injury. In fact I'm not sure I recall a match without some form of injury, you just get used to ignoring them and getting on with it. Obviously Rugby's a different sport and adrenalin can mask the odd 'niggle' but in golf your performance will be effected far more easily. I think the likelihood is he's hurt his back. People that know him and are at his club must read the blog now and then. If they were reading that he couldn't play then seeing him out each day on the course eventually someone would call him out for it.[/QUOTE] If you're healthy enough to give an interview, considering interview was not delay published, you're healthy enough to type a couple of sentences.

What would he write? Seems pointless.[/quote] I think I'd acknowledge the question at the very least. Things like "Hi Dan, been following you from the start, you still alive?!?" Or words to that effect are ignored. I'd reply to them myself.

Pete Iveson

If you follow Twitter, people are tweeting at him. He's not answering back.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Thanks for the information, interesting. Maybe he's become bitter about golf with all the negative feedback from golfing sites?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

BTW, at least you have some chance of meeting your goal, @Nosevi .

Thanks. You never know but there are a lot of talented golfers out there. I may well come up short but it'll be fun giving it a go and if I do fail it won't be through lack of effort or lack of a halfway decent plan, it'll be because I lack the talent to get there. Not a lot I can do about that one :-)

Pete Iveson

;-)[quote name="Nosevi" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3618#post_1205720"][quote name="Lihu" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3600#post_1205698"] BTW, at least you have some chance of meeting your goal, @Nosevi .[/quote] Thanks. You never know but there are a lot of talented golfers out there. I may well come up short but it'll be fun giving it a go and if I do fail it won't be through lack of effort or lack of a halfway decent plan, it'll be because I lack the talent to get there. Not a lot I can do about that one :-)[/quote] Sure, there are lots of things out of your control, but at least you are harnessing those that you can. :-) Btw, watch the video on Jason Day. "Never say die." Totally inspiring! He's like Ben Hogan in the modern era.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

It became very obvious about two years ago that Dan is ONLY interested in getting publicity.

If some crappy airline magazine wants to do a story on him, or if he gets to go to Pebble Beach or be flown to Australia for an interview he'll go on for weeks about it.

He doesn't respond to anything else.

The whole thing is about him making money and forging an identity as an inspirational example. It has nothing to do with golf and really never was.

This is why I find him such a detestable jerk.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

;-)[quote name="Nosevi" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3618#post_1205720"][quote name="Lihu" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3600#post_1205698"] BTW, at least you have some chance of meeting your goal, @Nosevi .

Thanks. You never know but there are a lot of talented golfers out there. I may well come up short but it'll be fun giving it a go and if I do fail it won't be through lack of effort or lack of a halfway decent plan, it'll be because I lack the talent to get there. Not a lot I can do about that one :-)[/quote] Sure, there are lots of things out of your control, but at least you are harnessing those that you can. :-) Btw, watch the video on Jason Day. "Never say die." Totally inspiring! He's like Ben Hogan in the modern era.[/quote] Thanks, not seen that but will watch it.

Pete Iveson

[QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3618#post_1205701"] If you follow Twitter, people are tweeting at him. He's not answering back.[/QUOTE] It became very obvious about two years ago that Dan is ONLY interested in getting publicity. If some crappy airline magazine wants to do a story on him, or if he gets to go to Pebble Beach or be flown to Australia for an interview he'll go on for weeks about it. He doesn't respond to anything else.  The whole thing is about him making money and forging an identity as an inspirational example. It has nothing to do with golf and really never was. This is why I find him such a detestable jerk.

I do wish you'd quit sitting on the fence over this one and speak your mind @Shorty . :-)

Pete Iveson

[quote name="Shorty" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3630#post_1205734"][QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3618#post_1205701"] If you follow Twitter, people are tweeting at him. He's not answering back.[/QUOTE] It became very obvious about two years ago that Dan is ONLY interested in getting publicity. If some crappy airline magazine wants to do a story on him, or if he gets to go to Pebble Beach or be flown to Australia for an interview he'll go on for weeks about it. He doesn't respond to anything else.  The whole thing is about him making money and forging an identity as an inspirational example. It has nothing to do with golf and really never was. This is why I find him such a detestable jerk.

I do wish you'd quit sitting on the fence over this one and speak your mind @Shorty . :-)[/quote] Right, I don't think the message is quite clear enough. :-D To be fair, IIRC, Dan was pretty cocky in all his early interviews. . .didn't sit well with most if not all golfers on this site. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

To be fair, IIRC, Dan was pretty cocky in all his early interviews. . .didn't sit well with most if not all golfers on this site. . .

That's not the case w/me. Unsure perhaps.

Steve

He's lost interest or realizes the Dan Plan is dead.  Anyone who knows anything about blogging or web marketing knows that lack of updated content is death for the site.  Subscribers to the site expect regular updates, even if it's just Dan stating he's rehabbing his back would demonstrate he still intends to continue and encourage people to visit often for updates.  The lack of new updates and content would indicate he's done.

The only marketing play I can see him doing at this point is to reboot the plan / website post injury with a brand new look and content and try to get the hype machine going again.  It likely won't work but unless he's abandoning the plan completely it's his only option imo.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!