IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wish I could be this positive if I were in this position. I'm a cynic and I'm... not so proud of it... :-) He's a better man than me. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/104712/] [/URL]

More self-confident than you, maybe. More deluded, certainly. But better? Don't sell yourself short! :-)

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm throughly convinced that if I spend 10,000 hours on it, I can achieve my dream of being the Center for the Warriors.

How tall are you? Gonna need to calibrate for the correct HGH dosages.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

How tall are you? Gonna need to calibrate for the correct HGH dosages.

I'm currently 5'9 and 15. I still believe I have a shot of reaching 8 feet tall. As long as I practice. What do you think?

Riley

I'm currently 5'9 and 15. I still believe I have a shot of reaching 8 feet tall. As long as I practice. What do you think?

If you can dream it you can be it.

How much do you want it?

I realised months ago that the only difference between me and Rory is that he's hungrier than I am.

If he has a need to dominate, great. I'm comfortable with who I am. I feel sorry for him.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

He's finished round 2.

25 over par for two rounds would just sneak in under the cutline on regular PGA Tour events and maybe have him in contention on Web.com events and probably top 5 in Euro Tour events.

In fairness, 80 in Round 2 is an improvement.

An 80 is something to celebrate given his past results. It's probably going to merit much positive feelings and social media buzz. The Lowest Score Wins angle I see is he tweeted no birdies yet in between rounds. If you're struggling to break 80 shouldn't you be working on eliminating those doubles? And minimizing the bogeys? If I were scoring the way he was I'm NOT tweeting I'm looking for birdies, I'm trying to get rid of those double Bs and Bs. A birdie is a nice to have. I dunno, just thinking out loud. I could be wrong. I would think deliberate practice includes deliberate course management. He'll eventually break 80. Then for two rounds. The next step will be harder though. Trying to place high. Then he's still gotta move on to tougher tournaments. Hill's gonna get steeper. Dig in Mr. Dan Plan. It's gonna be a bumpy ride. New YT vid. His 65-60 yard pitch. Don't you grip down, not up for less yardage? Sorry to get semantic. Instructors, what do you think of his pitching? [video]http://youtu.be/_p2lPZh2DQI[/video] [quote name="RJH999" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer/1620#post_1045400"]I'm throughly convinced that if I spend 10,000 hours on it, I can achieve my dream of being the Center for the Warriors.[/quote] What about karate or judo pro? Don't have to be a certain size. Or a motorcross pro? I'm pretty sure if I put in 10K hours and I'm in decent shape I will still get my a$$ kicked by the pros in these endeavors if I even get to that level.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

In fairness, 80 in Round 2 is an improvement.

[quote name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer/1620#post_1045425"]An 80 is something to celebrate given his past results. It's probably going to merit much positive feelings and social media buzz. ... He'll eventually break 80. Then for two rounds. The next step will be harder though. Trying to place high. Then he's still gotta move on to tougher tournaments. Hill's gonna get steeper. Dig in Mr. Dan Plan. It's gonna be a bumpy ride. [/quote] Yah I think he's finally getting to a level in tournament play where he can start to get some bit of confidence. A sliver of it anyway. Problem is he needs to improve radically more, and drastically fast. He will need every bit of his optimism to move forward from here. I've recently seen a cascade of articles now mocking the popular oversimplification of the 10,000 hours idea, so he will have to ward off those criticisms too, while he improves his golf. It's not exactly conducive to focused training on your life's mission to have to justify the point of your experiment on Twitter constantly.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Yah I think he's finally getting to a level in tournament play where he can start to get some bit of confidence. A sliver of it anyway. Problem is he needs to improve radically more, and drastically fast. He will need every bit of his optimism to move forward from here. I've recently seen a cascade of articles now mocking the popular oversimplification of the 10,000 hours idea, so he will have to ward off those criticisms too, while he improves his golf. It's not exactly conducive to focused training on your life's mission to have to justify the point of your experiment on Twitter constantly.

The 10k hypothesis has been misinterpreted, oversimplified and hijacked but at least at gets people talking about practice sometimes. Twitter can also be self reinforcing as well. You can see the pro 10K hypothesis guys backing Dan Plan up as well. It's basically people talking over one another. Cable talking heads transferred to texting.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The 10k hypothesis has been misinterpreted, oversimplified and hijacked but at least at gets people talking about practice sometimes. Twitter can also be self reinforcing as well. You can see the pro 10K hypothesis guys backing Dan Plan up as well. It's basically people talking over one another. Cable talking heads transferred to texting.

Personally(!) I think that the whole thing is ridiculous and he's going to crash and burn. But I'm not hating. The dude gets to play golf and have fun while getting paid. Good for him. It doesn't really concern me so I don't really care how he does.

Riley

Personally(!) I think that the whole thing is ridiculous and he's going to crash and burn. But I'm not hating. The dude gets to play golf and have fun while getting paid. Good for him. It doesn't really concern me so I don't really care how he does.

No comment on the above - I have a negative opinion on it, not your opinion, but the way Dan Plan is going about it and don't want to pile one. But what bothers me is some of the info he could be perpetuating. His [URL=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MTC0NJA] ebook [/URL] of his blog is out on Amazon and it seems that some of the people who follow him don't know much about golf, the learning/instructional side and are just going to mimic his... not so optimal way of learning to play golf.

Steve

No comment on the above - I have a negative opinion on it, not your opinion, but the way Dan Plan is going about it and don't want to pile one.

But what bothers me is some of the info he could be perpetuating. His ebook of his blog is out on Amazon and it seems that some of the people who follow him don't know much about golf, the learning/instructional side and are just going to mimic his... not so optimal way of learning to play golf.

What's really funny, is that even I might be tempted to purchase his ebook. If anything to read more about the potential to break his hand on a 1/2" tree root. :-$

He has the potential to sell enough of these books to keep him golfing. Wow, he must be doing something right. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

He has the potential to sell enough of these books to keep him golfing. Wow, he must be doing something right. . .

The ebook is just an edit job on his blog, it's nothing new, just basically a cut and paste job. It's all already out there on his blog.

He's living on savings from his old job. Something like 100K plus. He's grossing like 4K / year I read somewhere but that's sketchy info on my part. And he's getting a lot of equipment free. I don't think he's raking in the big bucks, but that's just my guess.

Judging from the responses on his Tweets and FB, the crowd that follows him is not as geeky/obsessive as this some of the people on this board is. More casual golfers.

Steve

Judging from the responses on his Tweets and FB, the crowd that follows him is not as geeky/obsessive as this some of the people on this board is. More casual golfers.

Have you seen some of the grief that "Brown Pup" ( @1229H) is givin g to Dan? I just noticed that the guy is basically taunting Dan to give up hope of making the PGA. He's getting no reaction from Dan from what I can tell. Now he's trying to chat up some of the people Dan is tweeting with- trying to get them to tell Dan he needs to face reality when he's shooting 80s in tournaments. The whole twitterverse seems like it could get quite nasty- I'm surprised more folks aren't being a nuisance to him. With so many people in the world who have heard of his quest, it only takes a few to make his life miserable on twitter.

Overall, it's still pretty civil, with some pointing out some studies to him that are questioning the simplified 10,000 hours deliberate practice theory, perhaps hinting to him to reevaluate his mission. My sense is that the field of study has moved well beyond where it was when Dan started his journey, but Dan's mission hasn't quite adapted to the new information that has been made public. There is certainly more to success in a field than deliberate practice, and he is thus far not displaying many of the other attributes necessary to succeed at the highest level in his chosen field.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

But what bothers me is some of the info he could be perpetuating. His ebook of his blog is out on Amazon and it seems that some of the people who follow him don't know much about golf, the learning/instructional side and are just going to mimic his... not so optimal way of learning to play golf.

That's right - There'll be conversations like:

"Hey - wasn't there some guy a few years back called Don or Dan or something who'd never played golf but made it onto the PGA Tour, or came pretty close? Close enough to prove the theory?"

"Yes"

I'm just wondering how he's going to get onto the PGA Tour before the 50 players who beat him in these low level amateur "tournaments", let alone the hundreds of guys in the Asian and European tours who are actually pros making money.

Have you seen some of the grief that "Brown Pup" (@1229H) is giving to Dan? I just noticed that the guy is basically taunting Dan to give up hope of making the PGA. He's getting no reaction from Dan from what I can tell. Now he's trying to chat up some of the people Dan is tweeting with- trying to get them to tell Dan he needs to face reality when he's shooting 80s in tournaments. The whole twitterverse seems like it could get quite nasty- I'm surprised more folks aren't being a nuisance to him. With so many people in the world who have heard of his quest, it only takes a few to make his life miserable on twitter.

Overall, it's still pretty civil, with some pointing out some studies to him that are questioning the simplified 10,000 hours deliberate practice theory, perhaps hinting to him to reevaluate his mission. My sense is that the field of study has moved well beyond where it was when Dan started his journey, but Dan's mission hasn't quite adapted to the new information that has been made public. There is certainly more to success in a field than deliberate practice, and he is thus far not displaying many of the other attributes necessary to succeed at the highest level in his chosen field.

I wonder if that's GHIN? :-$

@GHIN0011458

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I wonder if that's GHIN?

@GHIN0011458

It's not me! I actually  hope he does well, but I honestly don't think he puts in as much time as he says he does. I also think the way he is going about the whole thing is flawed. If I can average 75 in tournaments after 6 years of golf then him putting in as much time as he has said would put him at least in the 70's. Maybe Talent and hand eye coordination are more important than 10,000 hours though. If he can make it, I sure as hell I know I can lol. He needs to play in tournament after tournament after tournament and grind out rounds from here until the 10,000 hour mark. He has everything at his disposable such as a coach, technology, time that I really don't have. There is no reason in this world that he shouldn't be shooting in the 70's unless. If you can shoot 85 in a tournament, I truly believe you can practice hard enough and shoot 78 in a tournament every once in awhile. Maybe I am wrong and there are some people who just will never be able to break a certain number.

Have you seen some of the grief that "Brown Pup" (@1229H) is giving to Dan? I just noticed that the guy is basically taunting Dan to give up hope of making the PGA. He's getting no reaction from Dan from what I can tell. Now he's trying to chat up some of the people Dan is tweeting with- trying to get them to tell Dan he needs to face reality when he's shooting 80s in tournaments. The whole twitterverse seems like it could get quite nasty- I'm surprised more folks aren't being a nuisance to him. With so many people in the world who have heard of his quest, it only takes a few to make his life miserable on twitter.

Yeah, I'm surprised I haven't seen anything worse, but maybe he blocked or reported them. I've seen worse on FB.

I bought up his driver swing on Analyzr. Camera angle isn't great, but really moves his head off the ball. And my back hurts just seeing that follow through.

Steve

Note: This thread is 2557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!