IGNORED

Aim Bias and Putting Geometry

Note: This thread is 3441 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

Well, we don't really measure it in degrees.

We also (at Golf Evolution) take care to line people up on breaking putts.

Inside a golf ball's width on ALL putts from 20 feet, that's our goal. We've never failed to meet it yet. I don't know how many degrees that is, but it's less than one... especially since it's +/- 0.83 inches (half the golf ball) at 20 feet.

Good stuff. Thanks Erik.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by cliffj

I have an edel and at times convince myself that I miss putts by having the round grip. I then start worrying about being square and am not sure what to do to ensure that I am. I just received a Star putter tool and will take it out at first light and see if that does the trick. Any thoughts (about the round grip)?

Why would a round grip cause any problems? Square grips actually cause more problems because they're almost never square, so your brain gets mixed signals.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

At times the flat sided grip gives comfort that you are aligned correctly and validates your eyes. Not having that sometimes leads me to questioning my setup. Mind you, it is me, not the putter...but in the end it affects the the end result at times. It is the thinking too much effect...:-P

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

Originally Posted by iacas

Did you miss that this is a putting discussion? :)

That is indeed an aim bias but not really the same thing as what we're talking about here... :D

I know, but this also effects my putting as well. I know this thread is more of the putter face aligning offline due to what our eye's think is right, but i tend to aim putts to the right no matter what my clubface is aimed at.

I personally like a round grip, since i re-grip my own clubs, i don't worry about making putter grip perfect. Also, there is more of a selection of round grips, I personally like the Excel Winn grip, and i use a larger grip than i would for a normal club. I like this grip because its soft in the hands, and its the least tapered round grip. I also think the round grip helps people form there own gripping style on the club. I found the square grip a hinderence if i wanted to tweek my putting grip, i like the uniformity of a round grip.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by iacas

We've found that except for extreme setups (with really tilted eyelines, the eyes way inside or way outside the ball, etc.) this type of stuff is irrelevant. Our eyes perceive certain putters as open or closed when they're not, and though you can likely "train your eyes" and "learn to aim" that's always struck me as silly - why add a skill you need to keep refining in order to putt well when you can just get a putter that you aim well and be done with it? And no, your aim doesn't change over time, or at least, we've never seen it... unless you somehow get into a bizarre extreme setup position. :D

Excellent point. I golfed with a lefty yesterday who had a real nice putter he let me try. Major difference in feel, weight, feedback etc. I will probably make it a point to get fitted sometime next year. You're still located in Erie, PA? I grew up in Chautauqau County, NY not too far from there and usually bring the family up every summer. I may have to pay you a visit for a fitting.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

• Administrator
Originally Posted by divot dave

Excellent point. I golfed with a lefty yesterday who had a real nice putter he let me try. Major difference in feel, weight, feedback etc. I will probably make it a point to get fitted sometime next year. You're still located in Erie, PA? I grew up in Chautauqau County, NY not too far from there and usually bring the family up every summer. I may have to pay you a visit for a fitting.

Yes, we are.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 years later...
Very good thread. I been practicing my putting and notice I very much like to aim left and make compensation to square my putter I always have confidence when I try to aim left edge or just left of the cup on a breaking putt On the opposite breaker I tend to circle the cup and close my eyes cause when I try to aim right I always miss.

Note: This thread is 3441 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!