• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
easydraw

Ping Balls?

20 posts in this topic

It seems as though every major golf company has a line of balls. Ping seems like the only one without. any reason why?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Been there and done that. They made balls in the 1980s which were truly awful. Not very good balls which were two tone (each 1/2 was a different colour) causing them to become invisible in the air while spinning. Nobody ever bought them twice.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Been there and done that. They made balls in the 1980s which were truly awful. Not very good balls which were two tone (each 1/2 was a different colour) causing them to become invisible in the air while spinning. Nobody ever bought them twice.

Ha, ha, I remember those. Guy on our golf team bought those and the captain threw the entire box into a lake. Not to worry, he was from a wealthy family and gave the guy a box of Titleist 100s.

thanks for the info, it just seems like with all the ball technology out there, Ping would want a piece of the pie. Since all the Ping club lines are so successful I'm curious if anyone thinks that they would throw some money into making another run at balls. might be worth it in the long run

Originally Posted by easydraw

thanks for the info, it just seems like with all the ball technology out there, Ping would want a piece of the pie. Since all the Ping club lines are so successful I'm curious if anyone thinks that they would throw some money into making another run at balls. might be worth it in the long run

I'll buy PING balls right after I use up all my Tommy Armours, Ram Tours, MacGregor Tourneys, Ben Hogans, Slazengers, Dunlops DDHs, Wilson Ultras, Spaldings, etc. . .

I remember the ping balls... I used to think they would be a great putting practice ball

I would say WAY TO MUCH COMPETITION to even consider trying.  The marketing efforts required to pummel through all the top dogs right now (Titlest, Bridgestone, Callaway, etc etc) would cost millions...with no guarantee that they would sell them.  Those kind of business decisions or "chances" could severely hurt a company like Ping.

Mizuno hasn't done much either with golf balls over here in North America.  I did see somewhere though that they released a ball in Japan?

I just found a PING ball playing a local course, and like sean_miller says, they are two-tone, and terrible... The one I found was pink and white, I just tossed it to my Grandma(who hits anything), and said "it's yours".

to all who have the ping 2 tone balls

ill take them off you hands

Agree with the above post. I'd like to have a couple of those two tone balls for putting/chipping practice. Those things go for a pretty penny on eBay...

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Haha, I have one and use it as my ball in teetimer ..... never played it !

Originally Posted by SouthernILGolfer

I guess Cleveland doesnt make balls either.

True but they do own Srixon.

I have an original red/blue one in near perfect condition.  Terrible play, but great for putting practice.  I also looked them up on ebay recentlly and to my suprise, some were going for 50 bucks!

I remember the ping balls... I used to think they would be a great putting practice ball

That was the intention when PING brought the 2 tone balls to market. I never remember seeing them sold in sleeves, always singles. PING did market a few "standard" golf balls over the years as well. There was a "Karsten Signature" ball as well as a "ZING" ball for sure. There may have been others as well.

I remember the PING zing ball playing pretty well, but that was a long time ago.