IGNORED

Adams CB2 vs Mizuno JPX 800 Pro

Note:Β This thread is 4602 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Does anyone that plays these clubs or went through the testing process with them have any advice or opinions on how they compare?

I've taken the JPX 800 Pro out to the course once and really liked the feel. Unfortunately, the golf store in town didn't have the CB2 available for demo'ing.

I've read great things about both (the quantity of reviews leans toward the CB2's) but nothing really that directly compares the two.

Thanks in advance for any input.

taylormade.gifΒ R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gifΒ Baffler 2h
Β JPX 800 Pro 4-PW Β *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gifΒ CG14 52* /Β Β MP T-10 56* /Β Β callaway.gifΒ Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gifΒ Spider Ghost /Β Β Z Star Yellow

My vote goes for the CB2.Β  Perhaps it is all in my head, but I really do not like the JPX models appearance...pulling an "ugly" club out of the bag compared to the CB2 makes all the difference.

Ogio Nexos Black on Black

Taylormade TP R9 Superdeep, 9.5, Aldila RIP A70X

Bridgestone J38 15, Motore F1 75S

Mizuno Masters Tournament Blades

Mizuno MP-T10 60.08

Ping Anser 2i

I have tried both irons and several other different brands and I just fell in love with the look and feel of the JPX-800pro irons. I really doubt you can find a forged iron that has the distance and feel that the JPX-800 pro irons have,....Β and still offer youΒ forgiveness. Now,.... they are not a club for the newbie looking for maximum forgiveness, but they do offer forgivenessΒ when you make a less than perfect swing and will not painfullyΒ punish you on thoseΒ miss hits.Β  There is a good review on this website under the equipment reviews on the JPX-800 pro. It is a pretty spot on review. But,.... bottom line is ya gotta find what looks and feels good to you.

Perhaps I don't get the importance of the look of an iron, but... I hit a few matt finished irons whilst being fitted for my Mizunos. Most of them far out ranked the Mizunos in the looks department, but most important to me was taking an iron out of my bag which when I hit it didn't make me look like a total fool approaching the 18th in front of the local club house.

On a technical note, I hit the JPX 800 Pros a similar distance, if not a little shorter, than similarly priced "real" game improvement irons, but instead of hitting the ball all over the place I hit the ball straight and enjoyed my swing with Mizuno's heavier, stiffer shafted irons.

Originally Posted by romphill

My vote goes for the CB2.Β  Perhaps it is all in my head, but I really do not like the JPX models appearance...pulling an "ugly" club out of the bag compared to the CB2 makes all the difference.

Speaking of ugly irons coughG15cough . . .

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I took some time with the CB2 at the golf store today but I just hate swinging on simulators... had some nice ones but had some horrible ones.

I'm thinking I need to just stick with what I have until I can take a repeatable swing to the store.

Oh.. and.. G15's were not pretty... thats all I'll say on that.

cobra.gifΒ Baffler 2h
cleveland.gifΒ CG14 52* /Β Β MP T-10 56* /Β Β callaway.gifΒ Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

I am in a similar situation.Β  I liked the 800's the 800 pros, the i15, CB2

I have been back 2x demoing clubs and I keep coming back to the CB2.Β  I am not feeling the Mizunos but I do like the I15.

I have recently made swing changes so I am looking for consistency also before I pull the trigger.Β  I am coming from X18's

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From hitting indoors at a shop:

CB2's look great. They were the clubs I planned to buy. Hit very nicely. Forgiving with lots of feedback on marginal swings. Looks like a much smaller head. Then my buddy showed up and insisted I hit the JPX-800 Pro's. WOW. Every swing felt like it was dead on the sweet spot. Put impact tape on face and confirmed that many were close to sweet spot but miss-hits felt awesome. Tried the MP-53's and had too many miss-hits. I'm a 10 HDCP and not player enough for the big-boy Mizunos.

I really like the looks of the CB2's and the felt as good as anything I've tried until I tried the Mizunos. I bought the JPX-800 Pros and I'm waiting for them to arrive. Everyone talks about Mizuno "feel." I got a little taste of it and I want more.

• Upvote 1

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at -Β http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/Β Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23*Β hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

MizunoΒ MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/MizunoΒ MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-EvolutionΒ grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs:Β Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GWΒ with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I went towards CB2 primarily on recommendations and reviews.. but the 800 Pros are just nice. Nothing I ever expected really.

If only they could get in on some of these sales.. If they were in on the past Memorial Day sale they would probably be on their way to my bag.. with the X-18's in the used clubs bin or in the garage for my brother.

Confidence outweighs everything and the confidence is with the JPX 800 Pros right now.

cobra.gifΒ Baffler 2h

Originally Posted by anotherday

I went towards CB2 primarily on recommendations and reviews.. but the 800 Pros are just nice. Nothing I ever expected really.

If only they could get in on some of these sales.. If they were in on the past Memorial Day sale they would probably be on their way to my bag.. with the X-18's in the used clubs bin or in the garage for my brother.

Confidence outweighs everything and the confidence is with the JPX 800 Pros right now.

I agree with you totally about going with a club that gives you confidence. When I ordered my JPX-800 pros I just ordered 4iron - PW, which knocked $100 of the price. I saw no need in getting either the 3 iron or the GWΒ since I carry a 3 hybrid and I prefer my GW to match my sand and lob wedge which are X-JAWS. Just something to keep in mind is that if you carry a hybrid and a GW you might want to exclude those from your order as well.

That is good information actually.. I do stick with hybrids and I have a 52* GW.. I might need to tinker a bit to see where it would fit into my bag. My current set has a 46* PW so without checking, I think I remember the Pros only being 1* off. I might be able to get away with it.. My PW is hardly in play in my normal game anyway.

That could bring down the cost of the clubs and make them much more feasible... tempting tempting...

cobra.gifΒ Baffler 2h

Was almost sure that Adams was the set up for me until I tried the Mizuno JPX pro.

It's a shorter hitting club and maybe a little less forgiving but it just feels right.

On the course it's deadly strait and accurate.

The JPX-800 Pro Pitching Wedge is 45* instead of the 46* on most sets. They offer a 50* Gap Wedge. I'm starting without the GW and will go from PW to 54* sand wedge. I'm hoping that the forged clubs will allow me enough feel in my PW to use it for a variety of distances. Never had forged clubs before but that is one reason I'm excited to get them.

On a monitor (not a real course), the Mizunos were longer than the CB2's mostly because of increased ball speed. Might have been that the shaft, shorter club, and flatter standard lie had me hitting the Mizunos better. In the 6-irons I hit of both clubs, the JPX-800 Pro's were significantly longer than the CB2's for me (the CB2's and the Adams A12's were about the same as each other). I am not looking for more length, but expect to find it when my Mizunos finally arrive.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at -Β http://moenormangolf.com

MizunoΒ MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/MizunoΒ MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-EvolutionΒ grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs:Β Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GWΒ with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Got a great quote on the clubs without the GW.. If I didn't just spend so much money on school, with more money going toward books.. these clubs would be in the bag.

cobra.gifΒ Baffler 2h

Got my Mizuno JPX-800 Pro's yesterday. Hit them this morning on the range and practice holes (that's right -- my course has two practice holes). Very nice indeed. Almost too pretty to hit. Found myself really cleaning them after every strike and feeling bad that I got dirt on them. Perhaps it has been too long since I got new irons.

I got 7-PW. PW has nice high flight about the same as my old 2005 Callaway Fusions. The 7-9 have a slightly lower flight that I was looking for. Solid shots are a rush like I imagine heroin -- you want another one right away. Head to head with my old Fusions, these are longer. Not sure how much longer as the winds were up.

Practiced laying up with a 9 iron and could really appreciate the feel of the forged heads. With the Fusions, partial shots seemed like a guess as to when they'd come off hot or not. And if they did come off hot, who knew how far they would go. With these JPX-800 Pro's, I felt like I was in control of the distance with a little knock-down shots. That was one of the main reasons I bought these clubs and I think I'm going to be very happy. I will fill in this set once I chart my yardages.

Jealous of the practice holes. That would be nice, but in L.A. it would be extremely crowded.

So your Fusion Irons match up pretty much identically with regards to lofts.. how much distance did you gain? My x18's are in the same boat so I'm trying to see where my current 52*, 56*, 60* setup will fit in with new distances. The PW difference is only one degree, so I will have to tinker with it to see if it is okay or not.

Side note: did you notice your PW and 9 iron in your Callaway set had very similar distances? I'm eeking a bit more out of my 9i these days but still.. not a heck of a lot of difference.

Enjoy your new irons and if you could... keep us updated on your thoughts about them and any tweaks you might have to make. Especially since I'm thinking about making a very similar change to yours going from Callaway to Mizuno.

cobra.gifΒ Baffler 2h

I ordered the Mizuno's 1* flat and .5" long. Because Mizuno standard lie is already flatter than Callaway standard lie, the my Mizuno's are more flat. I did not know this when I ordered but can not tell after only a few hours of practice. Divots seem correct. As for length, standard Mizuno's are .25" shorter than standard Callaways. I had standard length Callaways. So, my new Mizuno's are .25" longer. Again, I do no notice the .25" difference when the club is in my hands. Standard lofts are exactly the same in both Callaway and Mizuno until the PW which is 45* in Mizuno's and 46* in Callaway. I already know that I'm going to add a 5-iron. I'm going to get standard lie and length because the lie will match my current 5 iron and the a .25" shorter 5-iron seems like a good control idea. I'm going to leave a 6-iron out of the bag unless I find that I'd rather have a 6-iron than hit a choked up 5-iron. I'm trying to do more with less clubs. We'll see how that goes.

My Fusion 9-iron is longer than the Fusion PW. My full-swing PW is very high. It is high with the Mizuno's too. The Mizuno 7-9 have a really nice flight -- high compared to most guys but not sky-high. So far, I have found the easier to control the height (I'm a 10 hdc not a +1 so "control" is relative).

I do hit the ball on or near a really good place on the face much more often with the Mizuno's. Not exactly sure why.Β When I do strike them pure, the feeling is a super endorphinΒ rush. AND I FIND IT MUCH EASIER TO SQUARE THE CLUB-FACE AT ADDRESS WITH THE MIZUNO'S. Visually, these clubs look square when they are square. I've played the Fusions for years and never really felt square when I was square at set up (visually I always wanted the club-face closed and had to train myself that square looked open to me). Not sure why, but these line-up better for me (less offset? straighter bottom?). I set the club down and see exactly where square is pointing. The result is that a good swing goes where I intend to aim because where I intend to aim is where I do aim.

Because the winds continue to howl, I am not sure how much longer, or even if they are longer than the Fusions. Perhaps they will be about the same. I already swing them a bit easier because I want the rush that comes from hitting them flush. My guess is that the PW and 9-iron may be a few yards shorter than my old Fusions, the 8-iron about the same, and the 7-iron may be 5-10 yards longer on full swings. But, one of the reasons I'm so excited about these clubs is the feel I have on less-than-full swings. In practice on a windy day, I was hitting my PW from 70-125 yard and feeling good about controlling the flight and distance. I tried using irons off the tee on the practice par 4's to gauge yardages even though there was a lot of wind. I'm guessing my 200 yard 7-iron off the tee was wind aided. Just a guess. :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback, it helps so much to hear from someone that has made the same change. When I demo'ed the 6i I had a pure shot from the rough. The club got through the grass so nicely it felt like I was hitting out of the fairway. Plus the feel is amazing. In a different thread someone had mentioned that Mizuno irons would flatter and shorter because Japanese players are typically shorter. I don't know if there is any statistical validity to this statement, however it would make a bit of sense.. I'm 5'7 and these clubs have a nice flat lie for me and they feel like they give me more control. Maybe the shorter length and flat lie could have something to do with it?

Also, in a separate post I was contemplating not getting the 4i but I'm thinking that as my game improves, the longer irons might get some more love from me. And with regards to the PW being 1* off of our Callaways.. I'm going to have to do some testing to see if I can still get away with my 52* being the GW and then end up replacing the X18 SW with a 56* CG14.

200 yard 7i! Nice.. That is something you see with the strong lofted clubs... so with wind or not, you whacked the crap out of that sucker.

If the wind dies down and you're able to get any new information on these, please share. I'm about to pull the trigger on 4-PW.. just gotta come to terms with parting with the $$.

Thanks again.

cobra.gifΒ Baffler 2h

Note:Β This thread is 4602 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!