IGNORED

Broke 120 today

ManofManyStangs
Note: This thread is 4744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How can you be happy with a 5 handicap? After all scratch is so easy if you can hit the ball 200 yards straight. Just a couple of shots to the green and 2 put. And on the ones where it takes 3 shots, you will be chipping it so close the whole anything less than a 1 put is unthinkable.

The 110+ guy doesn't have any dependable clubs. They could play the whole round with a 9 iron and you would still see 10 yard hits, shots with 30 yards of slice, and so on. There will also be 1 or 2 water holes on most course that are really tricky when your best club only goes 120 yards. And the chips that go over the green or come up short. The sand traps that take 3 shots to ge out of. Not to mention 45 puts is probably a good round for most of them.

If your shooting 120+, focusing on the score isn't really important. Having fun (so you come back) and getting better is.

Originally Posted by Gerald

Uhhh 120 strokes and being happy with it ...... I cannot even imagine 100 if I would only bring a 7 iron and a putter ....... Let's face it if you have only one iron in the bag that you can hit any bit decent, let's say an 8 iron, you reach all par 3's in two, all par 4's in three and all par 5's in four strokes, that is 54 strokes, let's imagine you have 9 2-putts and 9 3-putts ......45 putts (about the worst thinkable) together that's 99 !!!

If you are only able to also hit a 6 iron or high lofted hybrid any bit decent, you will most likely shave a few shots of the 54 and if your putting improves only a bit ...... You'll be shooting 90 with only 3 clubs in the bag !!!

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by x129

They could play the whole round with a 9 iron and you would still see 10 yard hits, shots with 30 yards of slice, and so on.

Yup.  I'm a 13 and I shank my 9 iron every once in a while.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by ManofManyStangs

Yes I am playing the whites. I am not sure of the yardage from those tees. Lets say avg. of 30 yds shorter, would make the whites 6670 yds long.

That makes a bit more sense - you want to play from the most forward set of mens tee boxes (some guys will suggest that you play from the womens - i disagree on that since you are obviously not holding anyone up at the course). The only other suggestion that I can say helped me is to play more conservative - stay away from the bunkers, hazards, trees.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!