IGNORED

What is the best way to teach beginner golfers the golf swing?

Note: This thread is 3372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been appointed by our golf club board to help teach a community group how to play golf;

I would assume they have not played any golf before and so they will be starting from scratch.

Developing a beginners guide to playing golf where should I start?

What stages should I take them through?

Considering they will have 1 session a week for 12 weeks!

Cheers Mikeyg

The course should include an intro to golf, basic rules overview, etiquette, equipment, different clubs and purpose.  For the actual swing mechanics I'd suggest using the structure found in Ben Hogans Five Lessons : The Modern Fundamentals of Golf  as a start.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would consult with someone who has experience running golf clinics. That's what you have been asked to do.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

With respect to you MikeyG, this is a job for a professional, not for an amateur.

You are not qualified to do it and you should not be taking it on.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Thanks all

No worries shorty, as with many country golf clubs down here in New Zealand we are asset rich and cash poor. Our problem down here is that many of our club members have left Christchurch due to earthquakes and loss of jobs and we have to make do with what we have got.

It would be great to include a pro, however they are few and far between and whether or not a group of community members would be willing to pay for a would be another story.

But there is nothing wrong with gathering quotes to find out what it may cost.

Cheers MikeyG

If you're on your own because a lack of instructor resources, do this:

1. Teach them how to putt. As we all know, it's not as easy as it looks.

2. Teach them how to hit a greenside chip - straight back, straight through, no wrist break. Then take that same stroke and lengthen it. You can take your hands back as far as hip height without having to bend your arms. If they come back into the ball smoothly, they'll make good contact (a real problem for beginners), and the ball will take off straight, going maybe 80 yards with a 7-iron. A person can play with that stroke. Trying to teach them anything beyond that, if you don't know how to teach a golf swing, is asking for trouble.

3. Teach them golf etiquette, and how to play along so the flow of the game keeps up like it is supposed to.

Good luck!

You may not have experience with clinics but I'm not going so far as to say that you could not do it or otherwise have the qualifications.  I don't know your background or teaching ability.   And quite frankly as a newcomer to the game myself and a regular "lesson-taker", I doubt you could do worse than a couple of PGA instructors I've had.  This game is made so complex and is filled with so much dogma it's almost mind-boggling.....and it will be mind-boggling for new golfers if you let it.

It's probably not a coincidence that I like NewtoGolf's suggestions given that we both are relatively new to the game.  Maybe we have a perspective that's different than those of you who have been golfing for most of your life.

-  Golf courses can be intimidating and it's important to make newbies feel comfortable on how things work.

-  Golf course etiquette and playing ready golf.  Actually show people how to properly repair a ball mark, replace divots, etc.

-  Golf equipment - Keep it simple.  Hybrid/Mid iron - Short iron/Wedge - Putting - Driver (save for last)

-  Don't spend too much time on the driving range and practice greens before mixing in a little course play.  Although I was OK with a lot of range work, my wife quickly got board with it so you should incorporate course play into the program to break-up drills on the range, chipping areas, and putting greens.

-  Swing Mechanics - Keep this simple and recognize that not everyone will naturally have the same type of swing.  This is one of my biggest issues with PGA (or other) instructors is that they try to put "square pegs into round holes" and have everyone swing THE "correct" way.  This is just doesn't make sense given the variety of body shapes and natural abilities (flexibility, strength, etc.) associated with each individual.  There are certainly fundamentals inherent to any good swing but beyond that there are a lot of ways to get the club face to the ball consistently.  Focus on stance, grip, alignment to target, how to turn in a relaxed manner, and follow through.  Help them avoid excessive tension in their swing by avoiding too much grip pressure, over turning, and trying to crush the ball.  The goal should be consistent contact and not maximum power.

-  And it wouldn't hurt to get help from a PGA instructor  if possible.  If you do, then take the time to find a good one.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

• 3 years later...

IMHO

Golf is a game that requires flexibility, may I suggest that they all do stretching exercises before they come for lessons. You don't want someone to bend over and pick up a ball and throw their back out.  If they don't learn the game, at minimum they'll feel better after twelve weeks of minimum exercise.

Prior to each lesson teach them how to warm up with a club. Behind the back and across folded shoulders. This will also teach the most important part of the game...the turn. You must make a turn... to be in a position to swing the club efficiently.

Yes, putting is important

Yes, chipping is important

Yes, the grip is very important

But...swinging the club and hitting a ball up in the air is the fun part...and they're all here for fun. Make the lessons fun. Golf is a tough game, so please be flexible and enjoy yourself.

PS

Hogan's book is a classic and there are many helpful videos on you tube, but golf is such a complex anti-intuitive game that too much info can be overwhelming. Keep it simple

Give them encouragement and share your love of the game.

Good luck and best wishes

atom

After an orientation involving rules, etiquette, and equipment, take them to the green, and have them learn the game backwards. Teach them to adequately putt, chip, pitch, and on to the longer swings in that order. It's my belief they will play better, sooner learning the game this way.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 3372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!