IGNORED

Driving Range - Extra Charge to Hit off Grass

Note: This thread is 4706 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Ringworld

Turf requires maintenance.  Mats not so much.  You pay for the privilege of hitting off grass.  That is standard here in CA.

If we spend half our time hacking away on the grass range it takes time to grow back the grass.  Use mats well you can hack away.  Personally it doesn't matter grass or mats.  If you hit the ball poorly it won't make a bit of difference grass or mats LOL.

I figured that Southern Cali would be like So Fla, but I guess I was wrong. I have never heard of a turf fee and it is rare to see mats. I figured it's just real easy to grow grass here year round.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I'm in Northern Cali and I've never been to a place with a turf fee.  I honestly would have only expected it in places where it's harder to maintain, not in Cali.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

yep, my local range in cali has both mats and grass.  the buckets for grass cost about $1-2 more, depending on the size.  also, their early-bird and happy hour specials are only for the mats, no specials for the grass except if you buy a range card which is again, either mat or grass.

it makes sense to me.. at least until i read here about how many people have ranges that are only grass.  the only time i see that is at the clubs in palm springs.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

3 ranges in NYC charge $10-$13 for using their grass range. And they are mostly in poor, really awful shape. One offers a membership.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've used a grass driving range once in my life.  I play at municipal courses, which don't have them.  I know of one driving range that has one, but its literally twice the price.  Hitting a big bucket off the grass costs about as much as an afternoon 18.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Business owners are free to make their driving range rules as penny-pinching crappy as they want.  As long as the market's free, I'm not going to complain.  I will go elsewhere in a heartbeat though.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Same for me.  I live within a 10 mile radius of three courses.  1 course is far worse than the other two, but it has a grass range with $5 for 82 balls, and I go to that one every day.  The nice course makes you pay $10 for 90 balls to hit off mats exclusively.  No thanks.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 4706 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!