IGNORED

Honestly, I hit it long

gjsuicide
Note: This thread is 4665 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Woot, i crush that,

Driver: 285 carry, 295 total (i hit high drives that land softly, they look like they just hover in the air for a long time, its fun to watch)

3-wood: 260 carry, 275 total (new 3-wood is a beast, a bit longer than my older 3-wood, and a much more borring trajectory, i recommend the Titleist 910fd)

3i: 228

4i: 214

5i: 200

6i: 186

7i: 171

8i: 157

9i: 143

PW: 129

SW: 115

LW: 100

I always been long with my irons, just have, and i hit high towering shots, which is great. Thats why i don't carry a hybrid or a 5-wood, i don't need the help. I can hit my 3-iron as high as some people hit there 7-irons, and it lands softly.

My issue is i have left and right issues, not really big slices or hooks, but slight push fades and pull draws from time to time. But its close to being good.

Don't believe me, oh well, if anyone happens to play a round with me they can contest.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by sean_miller

First off, let's take the controversial number "300" and shred it to bits.

I'm talking about guys who don't believe any amateur can hit over 280 - ever - let alone have a driving average greater than the shortest PGA professional.

Second, people who earn a living playing golf can lose money, and a lot of it, when they hit the ball OB or behind a shrub. Joe Average Hacker doesn't suffer much of a penalty other than slowing down his group or losing his ball. A lot of long hitting amateurs swing for the fence on every drive regardless of the consequence. Basically, a pro tries to hit his tee shot to a specific distance. Often an amateur just tries to hit his driver "as far as humanly possible". The professionals always have more distance in reserve (little guys like Faxon, Crenshaw, Kite, Pavin and Gay probably not - but I'm just saying).

Thirdly, if people think the only advantage the pros have is distance then those people probably don't know very much about golf.

You win.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by saevel25

280 in the rough, or 250 in the fairway. What rough are you talking about and how far off the fairway. If its 280 just in the rough, not behind trees, ect.. Then i would take 280, just because 30 yards is nearly 3 clubs in distance. For a hole, that could be a wedge or 9-iron compared to a 7-iron. Which from the rough, still able to get it close.

Goodness gracious I'm off of this website for a few months and get back on, and now everything has to be analyzed to the dot on the i's. Haha it was a universal statement. Take it as you will.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Originally Posted by newtogolf

It's all pretty relative since I can't hit my 3i as far as the pro's can either.  Here are some overall average carry distances I found for PGA players.

Listed below are the PGA Tour average "carry" distances in from over the last 4 seasons:

Driver 260 yards / 238 meters (Total Driving Distance - about 287.3 yards)

3-Wood 238 yards / 218 meters

5-Wood 223 yards / 204 meters

15-18* Rescue 218 yards / 199 meters

3-Iron 203 yards / 186 meters

4-Iron 189 yards / 173 meters

5-Iron 181 yards / 166 meters

6-Iron 169 yards / 155 meters

7-Iron 160 yards / 146 meters

8-Iron 149 yards / 136 meters

9-Iron 136 yards / 124 meters

PW 122 yards / 112 meters

This is an eye opener for me. I've always thought I could get "more" from my swing (feel like I'm hitting at about 70% effort) and that I lack distance with my shots but based on the above I'm capable of hitting it about 10 yards behind tour pros? That can't be right surely? I hit my 7i 150 and everything else is pretty much 10 yards gap between clubs.

Last Thursday I got fitted for my first ever driver and having never hit the driver before (not used to swinging in an ascending fashion) my stats for the Mizuno JPX 800 regular flex 10.5 were:

Carry: Highest = 250 | Lowest = 223 | Avg = 236
Total Distance: Highest = 258 | Lowest = 228 | Avg = 244
Club Speed: Highest = 95.6 MPH | Lowest = 83.5 MPH | Avg = 87.8 MPH
Smash Factor Highest = 1.5 | Lowest = 1.31 | Avg = 1.46

If the stats quoted are true then I'm happy with my current distance and I think I need to stop trying to hit further and try to work on my shot dispersion instead.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

The term "7-iron" needs further clarification in this context.  Not all 7-iron lofts are created equal, and the data used for PGA tour averages should show the defined loft for those yardages.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

The term "7-iron" needs further clarification in this context.  Not all 7-iron lofts are created equal, and the data used for PGA tour averages should show the defined loft for those yardages.

Brandon

Yup true. e.g my 7i has a loft of 31.5° whereas my old Nike irons had a loft of 34°. HUGE difference!

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

It's all pretty relative since I can't hit my 3i as far as the pro's can either.  Here are some overall average carry distances I found for PGA players.

Listed below are the PGA Tour average "carry" distances in from over the last 4 seasons:

Driver 260 yards / 238 meters (Total Driving Distance - about 287.3 yards)

3-Wood 238 yards / 218 meters

5-Wood 223 yards / 204 meters

15-18* Rescue 218 yards / 199 meters

3-Iron 203 yards / 186 meters

4-Iron 189 yards / 173 meters

5-Iron 181 yards / 166 meters

6-Iron 169 yards / 155 meters

7-Iron 160 yards / 146 meters

8-Iron 149 yards / 136 meters

9-Iron 136 yards / 124 meters

PW 122 yards / 112 meters

150 yard 8 iron?

122 yard PW?

That seems very short

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

One thing to make sure is are you comparing carry to total distance. And are you comparing average to best.

That being said distance is one of the least impressive parts of a pros game. Consistency and accuracy are not as in your face but are probably more important.

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

This is an eye opener for me. I've always thought I could get "more" from my swing (feel like I'm hitting at about 70% effort) and that I lack distance with my shots but based on the above I'm capable of hitting it about 10 yards behind tour pros? That can't be right surely? I hit my 7i 150 and everything else is pretty much 10 yards gap between clubs.

Last Thursday I got fitted for my first ever driver and having never hit the driver before (not used to swinging in an ascending fashion) my stats for the Mizuno JPX 800 regular flex 10.5 were:

Carry: Highest = 250 | Lowest = 223 | Avg = 236

Total Distance: Highest = 258 | Lowest = 228 | Avg = 244

Club Speed: Highest = 95.6 MPH | Lowest = 83.5 MPH | Avg = 87.8 MPH

Smash Factor Highest = 1.5 | Lowest = 1.31 | Avg = 1.46

If the stats quoted are true then I'm happy with my current distance and I think I need to stop trying to hit further and try to work on my shot dispersion instead.

Maybe they're not using amped up SGI irons?!?

Originally Posted by Kieran123

150 yard 8 iron?

122 yard PW?

That seems very short

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Maybe they're not using amped up SGI irons?!?

That's true.

My Ci9 PW is 44*

That's true.

My Ci9 PW is 44*

It's more than just the lofts I suspect. My Cleveland TA1s (ca. 2002) are only two degrees weaker than my TA3s, but they're more than a full club shorter. I like them that way.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

It's "average carry" during tournament play, so you need to factor in the various types of shots pro's are required to hit.  For example, situation where a guy is hitting his 8i into a heavy wind, and the pin is only 150 yards away.  Or he's choking down on the club to hit a specific type of shot.

I'm sure the distances would be greater if they lined up the pro's and told them to hit each club as far as they could.

150 yard 8 iron?

122 yard PW?

That seems very short

Joe Paradiso

It's "average carry" during tournament play, so you need to factor in the various types of shots pro's are required to hit.  For example, situation where a guy is hitting his 8i into a heavy wind, and the pin is only 150 yards away.  Or he's choking down on the club to hit a specific type of shot.

I'm sure the distances would be greater if they lined up the pro's and told them to hit each club as far as they could.

True. Punches from under trees etc

What about when they use a 4 hybrid to chip? Would that go into the stats?

Here's another chart I found that gives even more detail about the averages and includes the LPGA as well;

Picture1.png

Joe Paradiso

One thing to make sure is are you comparing carry to total distance. And are you comparing average to best.

That being said distance is one of the least impressive parts of a pros game. Consistency and accuracy are not as in your face but are probably more important.

Yeah I know it's their average versus my best. What I was getting at is that I've never hit a driver before the fitting, yet over relatively few shots I still hit one that came within 10 yards of the average pro distance, therefore as you said a pro's distance is not as awe-inspiring as their ability to play consistently well. :) My handicap is a clear indicator that I'm not comparing myself to a professional athlete ;)

SWING DNA

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Yeah I know it's their average versus my best. What I was getting at is that I've never hit a driver before the fitting, yet over relatively few shots I still hit one that came within 10 yards of the average pro distance, therefore as you said a pro's distance is not as awe-inspiring as their ability to play consistently well. :)

My handicap is a clear indicator that I'm not comparing myself to a professional athlete ;)

The real difference in a tour pro and normal good players is putting, chipping, wedge shots and sand play, not the long game.  Flying the ball is relatively easy and statistically speaking rather a lot of people can hit fairways and greens, whether they hit it long or not.  When I played well, I probably made less than 3/4 of my putts between 5 and 10 feet. It isn't uncommon for a tour pro on a good week to make 19 out of 20 or something equally silly.  The worst putter out there would have done better than me, even when I was a scratch player.  Add up all your missed 5-10 footers and practically anybody on tour would have made all the ones you did make and 3/4 of the ones you missed.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

The real difference is Iron Play, ball striking, and putting. But when Pro's are hitting middle irons to 10-15 feet, when we are just praying for a GIR, thats the difference.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

The real difference is Iron Play, ball striking, and putting. But when Pro's are hitting middle irons to 10-15 feet, when we are just praying for a GIR, thats the difference.

I've seen the stats on putting, but I don't remember exactly, but it doesn't seem to matter much whether the ball is 15 or 30 feet away.  Ten feet and closer does matter a lot, and it's the wedges that do that, not 7 irons.  Saw Dave Pelz on the tube talking about wedge play awhile back.  One year, Tom Kite got it up and down 82% of the time inside 100 yards.   I doubt if I get it up and down 82% of the time from 20 yards!

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

Note: This thread is 4665 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!