IGNORED

Hip Slide vs. Hip "Bump"?

Note: This thread is 4674 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Sai-Jin

This is ridiculous.. . . I feel like I don't know how to swing anymore.

Also, when I bump my hip and intentionally drop my arms vertically, it feels as if I'm going to hit a big fat ground several inches behind the ball...

which I did with my driver on numerous occassions ..

If I had to guess... You're not nearly as forward as you think you are. Your head is simply dropping back. So you think your hips are forward... and they are. But it's forward of your head, which is dropping backwards.

You don't thin, fat, and pull the ball easily if your hips are forward.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Unfortunately I don't have a vid camera to take my video... =(

I'm going for another session in a few days and go back to making a centered back swing and only slightly bump the hip.

Let's see how that'll go.

Today I'm all over the place.

Originally Posted by iacas

If I had to guess... You're not nearly as forward as you think you are. Your head is simply dropping back. So you think your hips are forward... and they are. But it's forward of your head, which is dropping backwards.

You don't thin, fat, and pull the ball easily if your hips are forward.

Hmmm.... so you want me to move my hips even more forward?

Perhaps you are right... I moved the hips, but I tried to make my head stay at the same spot.

Btw, with the driver... I hit the ball at too low of an angle when it does take off to around 175 - 200yds...

• Administrator

Look, without a video camera, you're searching in the darkness. Feel isn't real. It's unlikely that what you think you're doing is what you're actually doing.

Good luck.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I actually had a slight pain below my left hip after a couple range sessions when working on this. Not sure if that was to be expected or not!

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

I second the video rec. You can talk until you're blue in the face, video will reveal all.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The energy he's referring to is the stored energy that builds up from the backswing coil.  As you coil your building energy in shoulders, torso, hips and legs.  The hips moving forward is the trigger to start the uncoiling and release the energy in a whipping fashion.  Hips -> torso -> shoulders -> arms that powers the club head on the outside of the whip to strike the ball.  You shouldn't have to add any energy it should happen naturally.

Originally Posted by MPS67

Here's my question.

Once the golfer sets his hips into that forward position, at that point, should he then add energy to the chain by actively and consciously rotating the shoulders? Or should he instead, keep moving the hips forward as much as possible where the hips will start to turn, and at the same time, pull the shoulders around?

Thanks

Joe Paradiso

the power is built up in the core muscles. Basically your stretching and contracting your core muscles as you turn, then your hips slide forward, which allows you to attack from the correct plain, and you unwind. your hips turn which causes those stretched muscles to contract and those contracted muscles to unstretch. All that rotational force is drawn up into the arms, down the club, to the clubhead, and into the ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

The hips rarely have to feel like they turn because, in most players, they turn too much too soon already, and if you don't think about your hips turning, they'll still turn plenty.

I talked to a local pro and he said that the hip can't bump forward violently.

It has to be just enough to separate the legs he said.

If I bump my hips like the vids, he said that I'll just move laterally forward and will do a very low shot at best.

• Administrator

I talked to a local pro and he said that the hip can't bump forward violently.

It has to be just enough to separate the legs he said.

If I bump my hips like the vids, he said that I'll just move laterally forward and will do a very low shot at best.

Yeah, in other words, the local pro likely doesn't know what he's talking about... Or you're not demonstrating it properly. I'd be curious what he thinks impact looks like. Probably weight too far back, hips too far open.

I don't care what you call this: when people say "bump" they don't envision and they don't DO slides like the ones seen here:

tiger_woods_hip_movement.jpg

tiger_hogan_hip_slide.jpg

tiger_hip_slide.jpg

faldo_hip_slide.jpg

baddeley_hip_slide.jpg

scott_hip_slide.jpg

faxon_hip_slide.jpg

howell_hip_slide.jpg

montgomerie_hip_slide.jpg

duval_hip_slide.jpg

els_hip_slide.jpg

kuehne_hip_slide.jpg

perry_hip_slide.jpg

hogan_hip_slide_p1_p4_p7.5.jpg

charlie_wi_hip_slide.jpg

troy_charlie_hip_slide.png

ricky_barnes_hip_slide.png

ohair_hip_slide.png

• Upvote 1

Then I'm glad I never took lessons from him.

I showed him the videos from this thread, instead of me demonstrating it.

But anyways, I've been using my mat at home to practice without hitting a ball.

I noticed that if I "think" about bumping hip, it doesn't work for me.

But if I just think about keeping my head still or powering my left leg, my hips clear naturally and weight shifted on its own.

the swing comes almost square on impact. Slightly from inside before impact and slightly back to inside after impact.

This is when I look at the clubs blurry trail of shadow before and the "divot" on the mat after.

I also stopped my full swing right before impact and I noticed that almost all of my weight is on the left foot's outer instep.

Well, don't know if this makes sense to you or not.

Erik, so if I'm not mistaken you told me that the hip bump is about 5-8 inches forward?

It seems that when I have this kind of hip bump or maybe even more, my old push / push fade problem came back.

But when I feel that I just moved my hip laterally a tiny bit then rotate, I hit my straight or straight draw.

Care to educate me on this?

The way I was taught this is that the hip movement is used to trigger the downswing and clear the way for uncoiling.  Only the hips move forward causing a weight shift and to initiate the uncoiling of the hips, torso, and shoulders which brings the arms and hands around like a whip.  The key I was told is to not sway back on the backswing, but instead "wind" around the back leg which should be slightly flexed inward.  Swaying back puts you out of position on the downswing and makes it difficult to consistently strike the ball at the bottom of your swing arc.

This may be different than what Erik was referring to, so I apologize in advance if I'm speaking about the wrong thing.

Then I'm glad I never took lessons from him.

I showed him the videos from this thread, instead of me demonstrating it.

But anyways, I've been using my mat at home to practice without hitting a ball.

I noticed that if I "think" about bumping hip, it doesn't work for me.

But if I just think about keeping my head still or powering my left leg, my hips clear naturally and weight shifted on its own.

the swing comes almost square on impact. Slightly from inside before impact and slightly back to inside after impact.

This is when I look at the clubs blurry trail of shadow before and the "divot" on the mat after.

I also stopped my full swing right before impact and I noticed that almost all of my weight is on the left foot's outer instep.

Well, don't know if this makes sense to you or not.

Joe Paradiso

Erik, so if I'm not mistaken you told me that the hip bump is about 5-8 inches forward?

It seems that when I have this kind of hip bump or maybe even more, my old push / push fade problem came back.

But when I feel that I just moved my hip laterally a tiny bit then rotate, I hit my straight or straight draw.

Maybe you're sliding more than you think or if not just the right amount for you. You are finding your own swing. The one that gives you the best results.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

Yea, right now I'm not sliding well at all... when the tee box is on the right, I kept pulling my drives.

It's annoying

I think it's time you get a video camera and record your swing.....it'll save everyone from having to guess what's actually happening with your motion.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

• Administrator

5-8 inches may very well be excessive if we're talking about how far forward it goes from the face-on view only.

If your hips have remained centered, 5-8 inches is probably too much. When people say "bump" they think an inch or two. Not 5-8.

I'm tired of talking about this with you since you continually fail to produce any video. Feel isn't real. Who - including you - know what you're really doing when you say you're feeling things? Not you. Not me. Who knows what your head is doing. Is it going forward 6-12 inches? 5-8? 4-6 backwards?

Note: This thread is 4674 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!