IGNORED

Partner's ball hits mine.

jetsknicks1
Note: This thread is 4674 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm on the green, one of my playing partners chips up and his ball hits mine, knocking it further from the hole than it originally was. He says I have to play it from where it is, I say I get to move it back to the approximate spot on the green where it orginally was. Which one of us is correct?

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You are, he plays his ball from where is came to rest, you place your ball as close as possible to the original spot.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

as lumpuckeroo said...

Rule 18-5: Ball at rest moved By Another Ball

If a ball in play and at rest is moved by another ball in motion after a stroke , the moved ball must be replaced.

Bryan

:wishon:  919, Aldila Voodoo  :callaway: Razr X Tour 3h  :callaway: Razr Hawk 3w, Aldila NV  :callaway: Razr X Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour  :wishon:  52, 56, 60, KBS Tour
 :odyssey: White Ice 330, 33in  :aimpoint:    :true_linkswear:

• 3 weeks later...

A similar thing happened to me this morning, except, instead of my ball getting knocked to a worse position, it ended up in the bottom of the cup!  ...I wanted to take a birdie, but I placed the ball back where it had been, and then two putted for bogey.  :(

I may be wrong here, but isn't the hole over once the ball is holed?

Originally Posted by Roblar

A similar thing happened to me this morning, except, instead of my ball getting knocked to a worse position, it ended up in the bottom of the cup!  ...I wanted to take a birdie, but I placed the ball back where it had been, and then two putted for bogey.  :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasy55 View Post

I may be wrong here, but isn't the hole over once the ball is holed?

In this case the ball is not holed.  Rule 18-5 takes precedence.  18-5 says:

Quote:
18-5. By Another Ball

If a ball in play and at rest is moved by another ball in motion after a stroke , the moved ball must be replaced.

When the word "must" is used there is no other option.  There are no exceptions or decisions which would modify this rule.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

In this case the ball is not holed.  Rule 18-5 takes precedence.  18-5 says:

When the word "must" is used there is no other option.  There are no exceptions or decisions which would modify this rule.

Isn't a ball that's been hit by another ball no longer considered "in play" until it's replaced? Eg, once it's hit, nothing that happens to it matters until it's replaced...

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I had to look up 18-5 after the round, and I had the same interpretation as Fourputt.  I plan to ask a few course-pros as well. I expect they'll cite 18-5 and say to replace it.

I've been told that if it were match-play, it could be different ---- I didn't look that up though.

Originally Posted by B-Con

Isn't a ball that's been hit by another ball no longer considered "in play" until it's replaced? Eg, once it's hit, nothing that happens to it matters until it's replaced...

Not really.  It's still in play, but it just isn't lying where it belongs.  If you play a stroke at it without replacing it, you have played from a wrong place and are penalized 2 strokes.  See the definition for "ball in play" in the Rules.  A ball remains in play unless it is lost, out of bounds, or lifted - or another ball has been substituted.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 4674 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!