IGNORED

Need new ball advice

Note: This thread is 4737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing Long + Soft Noodles for a while, mostly because I didn't want to spend too much on balls, and these were reasonably priced. However, as of late I have been found wanting a little more "bite" on the greens when I am playing chip/pitch shots. The only problem with switching to a high spin ball is the fact that I impart a lot of spin off the tee as it is, often causing slice problems.

Any suggestions that are pretty soft and reasonable priced?? I don't know if a want to go to Pro V1s or their equivalent yet mainly because of price and spin rate.

Driver 10.5 G10 Aldila NV Fairway:  15* Speedline Fast 10 Matrix Ozik

Hybrids 909H 19*,  SQ Machspeed 24*

Irons:  MP-53 5-PW PX5.5

Wedges Tw9 50.08  Rac Black 56.12,  Vokey 60.04

Putter Scotty Cameron Newport 2  Ball: One Tour

1. If you're serious about the game, you might consider going to your local Golf Galaxy, PGA Superstore, etc. and spend the 20 bucks on a ball fitting, which only takes a few minutes and gives good feedback on which balls give best distance and control based on your swing characteristics.

2. For me anyway, the Titleist NXT Tour gives the best bang for the buck in terms of less spin/distance off the tee but decent spin around the green.

3. If you want to experiment with some different balls, you might consider www.lostgolfballs.com where you can purchase high quality balls for about 1/2 of retail prices.  (I'm not an employee or anything but have been very pleased with that site and their products.)

• Upvote 1

What's in the Bag:
Driver: Taylormade SLDR 12*
3-wood: Taylormade Burner 15*
Hybrid: Taylormade Burner 19*
Irons: Callaway XR

Wedges: Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Newport Studio

I would go with the Titleist NXT or NXT tour. This ball really helped my game. My ball flies straighter and longer but i can still stick it on the green because they spin well too! Great ball and i highly recommend it!

In My Bag: 

Driver:  R7 460 10.5˚

Woods:  Burner 3 Wood

Hybrids:  Burner 3-Hybrid 19˚ &  Rescue 4-Hybrid 22˚

Irons:  MP-53 3 Iron- Pitching

Wedges:  56˚ &  CG 14 60˚

Putter:  Rossi White Hot XG Mallet

I had the same question so just bought a bunch of 2nd hand golf balls from ebay which i will give a try at random until I like one.

I usually buy srixion AD333 or TF gamer v2, or practive prov1s, but I have found a few nikes and other balls on my travels which feel good and I want to try but dont want to buy loads of balls, thus the ebay purchase.

I've liked all the balls I've reviewed in my signature. Those were all chosen for having a reputation for being a more spinny mid-priced ball. The Gamer V2 is only $20/dozen, so it's the most spin per dollar. There are slightly more spinny balls for more, though, but the Gamer V2 is a great ball.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I would check out the Top Flight Gamer V2, I've heard a lot about them (never played them though). Also NXT's are good for performance off the tee and some feel on the greens. You can find some great deals on Srixon Z-stars around too, a premium ball for a good price. Hope that helps.

"drive for show, putt for dough"

For the money I buy Callaway HX Hot Plus balls in Mint condition from a seller on eBay. This was after testing several balls including the new Pro V-1's. (When I am playing in a tourney I will pull out the more expensive balls but otherwise the Cally's, at $16 per dozen including shipping are just fine - and the seller I buy from really means Mint)

Why the Callaway's?

When I select a ball I am looking for:

1. Feel - does it feel like I am hitting a stone or something softer? The Callaway's are not too hard at all.
  2. Distance - having a nice soft golf ball but losing 10% distance just won't do. I drive the ball about 240 yards on average and the softer balata balls lose a solid 20 to 30. This might not sound like a lot but figuring 10 yards difference per iron and now you have the difference between a nice 8 iron into the green versus a 5.
  3. Cost - $1.00 golf balls sink at the same rate in the water as a $4.00 ball. I like finding bargains that offer everything above and more.
  4. Durability - hitting a ball out of the sand there is nothing worse than seeing a scuff mark on the ball from the contact with the iron as it scraped the ball in connection with the sand beneath. Some balls hold up to this test better than others. (Pro V's are terrible for this by the way and my irons are the new grooves by the way) I like playing a ball for an entire round if possible and the Callaway's will last.
  5. True roll - Some balls go out of round as they are hit. The more they are hit the more they get out of round and thus, on the putting surface, they are anything but accurate. I have a gauge that I can test the roundness and you would be amazed how the Noodles didn't hold up.
  6. Availability - It does no good for you to find THE perfect ball only to look for the bargain prices and not be able to find any. This is where the Callaways really separate themselves. They are available online and off very readily, the price only varies about $5.00 per dozen at most, and they are consistent, durable, long, and have nice feel.

In short sum, try them. I love them personally and cannot imagine changing balls anytime soon.

Thanks for the input, y'all. Gonna take these suggestions and play around with a few balls (maybe buy a mini-sleeve or a few refurbished ones). Will re-post once I make some headway and come to a decision.

You want recycled, not refurbished! Recycled are just slightly used, while refurb may have a new cover that might not play like the actual ball from my understanding.  Just don't want you to get high hopes for a brand just to find the refurb doesn't play the same as the new ones!  Here's a link to the thread about it.

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/48080/new-used-or-refinished-balls

Originally Posted by vikramraju

Thanks for the input, y'all. Gonna take these suggestions and play around with a few balls (maybe buy a mini-sleeve or a few refurbished ones). Will re-post once I make some headway and come to a decision.

Originally Posted by Timmy

You want recycled, not refurbished! Recycled are just slightly used, while refurb may have a new cover that might not play like the actual ball from my understanding.  Just don't want you to get high hopes for a brand just to find the refurb doesn't play the same as the new ones!  Here's a link to the thread about it.

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/48080/new-used-or-refinished-balls

Timmy is right, you definitely don't want refinished balls. You want to find recycled balls if you're going to play used ones.. I'll tell you what.. Shoot me a PM and let me know what kind of balls you're interested in trying and how many you'd like to try and we can work out a deal. I have over 700 balls sitting in my room that I've found in the woods of a local course and cleaned up in the last month or so. I have a pretty big variety and can probably cut you a good deal.. None are water balls either..

• 2 weeks later...

I personally use the Bridgestone E6's. They seem to be the perfect straight/spin ball and they are fairly priced at $26.99 a dozen.

Double dimple for the win!

Originally Posted by SKSmash

I personally use the Bridgestone E6's. They seem to be the perfect straight/spin ball and they are fairly priced at $26.99 a dozen.

Double dimple for the win!

Best balls out there by far!  Pro V's are nice but way overpriced and they only last a hole or two before they start getting scuffed up.  I play the Bridgestone e6's and they hold up better than any other ball i have played.

Originally Posted by shades9323

You could try TF Gamer v2 or d2 feel.  Both are excellent golf balls at a good price point.

I'll agree on this, especially with the Gamer V2... you'll definitely get more bite around the green and get a softer feel.  Many people consider these the poor mans ProV1 and for good reason.  Of the mid priced balls, these are my favorites and also are the cheapest ($20/dz as opposed to $25-$30/dz for balls like the Bridgestone e series or NXT Tours).

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by GernGolfs

Distance - having a nice soft golf ball but losing 10% distance just won't do. I drive the ball about 240 yards on average and the softer balata balls lose a solid 20 to 30. This might not sound like a lot but figuring 10 yards difference per iron and now you have the difference between a nice 8 iron into the green

What century are we in again??????

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up finding a good deal on Nike balls and bought a dozen of One Tours and One Tour Ds to test em out. Fell in love with the latter... loads of spin and plenty of distance. It looks like those are staying in the bag!

Note: This thread is 4737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!