IGNORED

The 2011 British Open

Note: This thread is 3462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the sun emerges above the English Channel next Sunday morning, it will appear to be shining the brightest over the British Isles, as Britons and Irishmen will constitute the majority of the names

Oh totally. All of the local news channels are going crazy. It's Clarke-mania! :-D

Got a pretty good laugh from this: Phil Mickelson Laughs Off 2nd-Place Finish, Blows Brains Out In Car | The Onion Sports Network

It appears that Day is a popular choice, but I think one of the Molinari brothers will do the deed.  Also, I expect Sergio to hang around too.  I'll take Kuch as my great American hope.

Originally Posted by uttexas

Lee Westwood of the shire

That's funny...

I never make good picks so I'm just going with who's playing well, Donald, Gmac, McIlroy, Stricker, and Watney in that order.

Phil?  I would think he would be one of the least likely winners.  Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by CuppedTin

1. Phil Mickelson

2. Dustin Johnson

Rory does not play the weekend!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm thinking McIlroy... it's kind of hard to choose against him in my opinion.  The dude was right there at the PGA last year, was phenomenal through the first three rounds at Augusta and finally learned to put it all together in a big way at Congressional.  While the US was his first with a different Sunday in the previous two majors it could have been his third in a row.  It should be fun to watch and if he doesn't win I seem him somewhere near the top.

^^

If Rory was to win I believe he would be the first player ever to win his first 2 majors back to back* (when there was more than 1 major to win). I don't think he will do it though as I'm not sure the course will suit him, but the PGA next month will be like a 2nd home for him.

*I'm just making that statement from my own memory so I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Originally Posted by deasy55

^^

If Rory was to win I believe he would be the first player ever to win his first 2 majors back to back* (when there was more than 1 major to win). I don't think he will do it though as I'm not sure the course will suit him, but the PGA next month will be like a 2nd home for him.

*I'm just making that statement from my own memory so I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Craig Wood, 1941 Masters and US Open is the only example that comes to mind.

I agree with you about Rory: he'll play solidly here (top 10) before winning in Atlanta. PGA likely will have conditions similar to Congressional.

Originally Posted by makaveli

Manassero at the 1st hole of playoff vs Jason Day; McIlroy and Garcia T3... that would be awesome!

After the first playoff?

My friend picked Scott and Kuchar which at the time I thought sounded pretty solid.  Then I remembered they used long/belly putters and I'm not sure how they'll fare in the wind.  I would assume you can't exactly grip down, widen your stance and brace yourself as well with those things but that is just a guess.

Lee Westwood. This is his time, finally. That's my pick.

I think Steve Stricker will play well enough for maybe a top 10 finish, and I think Phil will finish in the 10th-25th range.

McIlroy will struggle. I just don't think he will play too well this week. I see him hitting drives way off the fairways, approach shots that are negatively affected by the wind, and putts that just don't go in. Royal St. George's is a tough course and I don't think it's going to suit him too well.

I think Luke Donald will finish in the top 5.

Luke Donald or Phil.  Luke has the iron game to play the course well, and Phil seems to surprise everyone when he's not expected to do well.

Note: This thread is 3462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!