IGNORED

What kind of Pitching wedge do you use?

Note: This thread is 4635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What kind of Pitching wedge do you use?

• Standard wedge from a full Iron Set
    • Custom wedge

Almost ever iron discussion I've been reading is hating on blades on the site and I agree that my game is not yer ready for them. But I am hitting my Vokey wedges really well was thinking about grabing a 47* to replace my standard PW. Is this common becuase I don't see that many options out there?

This may be ill advised by some but I would go with blades as far up in the set as you can. I hit my 8i blade as good or better than my dads cavityback. To each their own but I enjoy the control I have with blades in my 8-pw.

I just use the PW that came with the set.  I tried a 47* Mizuno wedge once and it didnt work any different than any other pitching wedge Ive ever owned.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

All the wedges I use are part of the set (Diablo Edge) now except a 60* lob wedge (not offered) which is out of the bag for now.  I tried using Cleveland wedges for everything except PW and the weight difference and look was too big a difference for me to hit them consistently on the course.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My PW is the one that came with my set... I've never bought a different type of PW to use.  I don't think that it'd hurt to chance to a different PW but I don't really see the point.  Depending on the clubs you have, a 47 degree might actually fit in between your current PW and your next wedge (GW or SW or whatever).  Many sets, especially GI clubs have pretty strong lofts now with the PW being as strong as 44 degrees.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I play Bridgestone J36 combos, and the 9-iron and PW are a standard blade.

I had a set of Taylormade RAC TP's, which had a rounded out/milled 48* PW in the set that was absolutely money. It matched their RAC wedges but was forged. I was very tempted to keep that club when I sold the irons, but breaking up the set is a messed up thing to do IMO...

I've been interested in getting a custom PW (Scratch/Vokey, etc.) made similar to that Taylormade.

Originally Posted by shades9323

I've always played what came with the set.

+1

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

My viewpoint: With ever stronger iron lofts, the PW is a much "10-iron" for full shots as a wedge. I use the 46* PW which came with the iron set, and hit it full, for partial pitch shots, and for greenside chip and run out of the short rough.

I would suggest that someone who uses the PW mostly for partial pitch shots might be more likely to swap out the stock PW for a custom wedge.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

As with most of the others, my PW is from my iron set. Currently that means that it's a 48' Miura baby blade. I see no reason to replace it with anything else, it's a fantastic wedge. In fact, I would love it if I could get a 52' baby blade to replace my dedicated GW.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

Love the profile pic, Go Hawks!

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

I just use the PW that came with the set.  I tried a 47* Mizuno wedge once and it didnt work any different than any other pitching wedge Ive ever owned.

Kip

“Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course--the distance between your ears.“ -Bobby Jones

TaylorMade R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* w/Aldila RIP 70-X TaylorMade V-Steel 15* w/MAS Ultralite 65-X Titleist AP2 3-P upright 0.5* w/ Project X 6.0 +1" TaylorMade Rac TP 52* 8* bounce Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* 11* bounce, 60* 7* bounce Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5

I use my Ci9 PW - which is 44* - was an adjustment from my old one and it's now my 160 yard club, it used to be my 145ish club

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I use a Titleist Vokey 48 degree bent to 46 degrees. Love it for 125-100 distance great ball flight

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Depends on your set. I would agree with some of those above...with golf courses playing 'shorter' due to better equipment and balls...a  PW is a #10 iron for most guys. I don't use my pitching wedge today in the manner I used a PW when I was growing up playing golf 20 or more years ago. I use the PW from my set...but if I had a GI set, I might not.

I agree with the above poster that you should hit players clubs as far up in the set as you can handle. For most recreational players, that stops with their wedges if they can at all. It's up to you. The only advantage to buying a Vokey or whatever as opposed to using a wedge from your set is feel and control, but that comes at the expense of game improvement features.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Use my S58 wedge, which I think is 48 degrees, really like the feel of that set of clubs and the wedge.

In my bag:Driver: 910D2, 10.25˚, Aldila RIP, Fairway: 904F, 15˚, YS-6FW+ Stiff, Hybrid: Titleist 910H, Irons: S-58, 4-PW, DG S300, Wedges: Wishon 52˚, 56˚, Putter: Odyssey Black series i 1

Note: This thread is 4635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!