IGNORED

The Golf Channel Amateur Tour

Want2PlayMore
Note: This thread is 3332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a new baby at home so I'm not planning on playing many tournaments this year - but I'm still a "member" of the tour and still plan on playing a couple of tournaments later this year, hopefully.

So what are your thoughts on the tour for overall experience?

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So what are your thoughts on the tour for overall experience?

Oh I love it.  As somebody without quite a good enough game (yet - fingers crossed) to play in any "real" tournaments, and somebody who has virtually no desire to waste his time competing in net tournaments, it's a nice place to learn how to compete.

My ultimate goal is still to get good enough to compete in regular amateur tournaments (like the SCGA amateur or Mid-Amateur, and similar City championship events), but until I can get AT LEAST another 2 or 3 strokes lopped off the handicap, then the GC Am tour is a good place to practice and learn how to compete.

Oh I love it.  As somebody without quite a good enough game (yet - fingers crossed) to play in any "real" tournaments, and somebody who has virtually no desire to waste his time competing in net tournaments, it's a nice place to learn how to compete.

My ultimate goal is still to get good enough to compete in regular amateur tournaments (like the SCGA amateur or Mid-Amateur, and similar City championship events), but until I can get AT LEAST another 2 or 3 strokes lopped off the handicap, then the GC Am tour is a good place to practice and learn how to compete.

Cool, thanks

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

This tour IMO is a money grab and you can find better tourneys that are local and a lot less expensive.

I've mentioned this before, so I know I'm repeating myself, but this is true in some areas, but less true in others.  Here in Socal, for example, there are SEVERAL nice courses that host tournaments where you are not paying much extra than you already would.  The next two, as a matter of fact.  Next weeks entry fee is $140, and this is the course: http://www.tijerascreek.com/-rates.  It's only $20 above what a regular Sunday morning round would cost you.

The following week is even better: http://www.oakcreekgolfclub.com/The-Course/Guest-Fees.aspx $145 for the tournament, which is $35 LESS than you'd pay to play a regular morning round on a Sunday.

And also recognize, @GHIN0011458 , that it is really the only show in town for a lot of us who want to compete in the same type of tournaments as those of you scratch and better golfers.  It allows mid-cappers to compete in a gross format against others of the same ability.  When (alright fine, if ;)) I ever get to your level, then I'm with you.  I'm going to stick to all of the City amateurs and state amateurs that can be entered for half the price of the GC tournaments.  Until then, though, this is all I got. ;)

I've played in the State Am tournaments in the past, but they don't have that many and most of the one-day tournaments are on weekdays which sucks.

So I might join just to be able to play a couple of the courses which are typically more expensive then the entry fee and a couple you couldn't play without a member, as well as get the competitive juices flowing again.

-Jerry

I also think they are great.  I like that they are flighted rather than straight net.  Sandbagging won't last long because you will quickly get found out and moved up a flight.

The Colorado Golf Association runs a lot of tournaments but nothing where mid to high handicappers can play towards some sort of goal or season ending championship.  The Southern Nevada Golf Association does a little better but nothing really compares to the Golf Channel or Golf Week series.

There are some downsides.  Kinda pricey and  a bit slow.  But I still enjoy the competition.

There is a better one! Check out the GolfWeek Amateur Tour before looking into the golfchannel's.

I'd be willing to give it a shot, however, they are not out here in California yet.

There is a better one! Check out the GolfWeek Amateur Tour before looking into the golfchannel's.

Why do you think this one is better?  Golfweek AM Tour is a little cheaper my area, but not much.

I'd be willing to give it a shot, however, they are not out here in California yet.

I'm still on the fence, as to whether it's worth the extra money (as I'm already a Member at a Country Club) and I have a couple of friends who play on the Golf Channel Am Tour. Hmm.

-Jerry

I noticed they have a Senior side as well, do you decide before you play if you will play under 50 or over 50?  I just turned 50 last September.

-Jerry

Why do you think this one is better?  Golfweek AM Tour is a little cheaper my area, but not much.

I'm still on the fence, as to whether it's worth the extra money (as I'm already a Member at a Country Club) and I have a couple of friends who play on the Golf Channel Am Tour. Hmm.

Because they are cheaper lol and they still give out prizes and what not.

I noticed they have a Senior side as well, do you decide before you play if you will play under 50 or over 50?  I just turned 50 last September.

You would probably decide when you join, and then if its anything like the Golf Channel tour, just contact the local director about moving if you change your mind.

Also, on the Golf Channel tour, several of the flights end up being combined anyway when there aren't enough people signed up.  If there are 6 or 8 guys signed up in each group, it makes sense (to me, at least) to lump them.  After all, you are the same handicaps so what's even the point of having a senior flight?  I never understood that one.

The majors always have enough though, so they keep them separate.

I plan to play in our state womens senior am tournament next year if I can get my handicap down and stay healthy.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

You would probably decide when you join, and then if its anything like the Golf Channel tour, just contact the local director about moving if you change your mind. Also, on the Golf Channel tour, several of the flights end up being combined anyway when there aren't enough people signed up.  If there are 6 or 8 guys signed up in each group, it makes sense (to me, at least) to lump them.  After all, you are the same handicaps so what's even the point of having a senior flight?  I never understood that one. The majors always have enough though, so they keep them separate.

Yeah, I never played in any senior flights, even though I could have. Usually, there just weren't enough seniors, even in a pretty well attended tournament to make it worthwhile.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

http://thegolfchannel.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/thegolfchannel15/event/thegolfchannel15380/contest/37/leaderboard.htm

There are even scores in the 100s.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I play the Golfweek Am Tour out of Charlotte NC. This tour has been functioning for 25 years. There are approximately 43 areas / cities throughout the country that have affiliates of this tour. The tournaments are run very professionally and ruled by USGA rules. It is a flighted tour and once you begin playing you will be flighted by your index from tour events played only. If I travel to say Utah and they have an event I can play that event and carry some points back to my home tour. Prizes are generally given in the form of a gift card. The great thing is that the competition is great and we play a lot of private courses that you normally can never play unless you join that course. If you want a tour that is established and competitive look at amateurgolftour.net or type a search for the golfweek am tour.

http://thegolfchannel.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/thegolfchannel15/event/thegolfchannel15380/contest/37/leaderboard.htm

There are even scores in the 100s.

Yeah, every week.  There are flights all the up to handicap of 20+.

The tournaments are run very professionally and ruled by USGA rules. It is a flighted tour and once you begin playing you will be flighted by your index from tour events played only. If I travel to say Utah and they have an event I can play that event and carry some points back to my home tour. Prizes are generally given in the form of a gift card. The great thing is that the competition is great and we play a lot of private courses that you normally can never play unless you join that course.

This would perfectly describe the Golf Channel Am Tour here in Socal as well.

Note: This thread is 3332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!