IGNORED

Looking for the best SGI iron set: please vote on- Burner Plus, Burner HT (Dicks) and Diablo Edge

Note: This thread is 4659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As you guys can tell from my handicap (30), I'm not the greatest golfer. I'm not a hacker, I lose most of my strokes on the green, not necessarily getting to the green, but I'm still looking to upgrade from my boxed 2008 Slazenger Wrath irons. Which iron set would you recommend from the above- Burner Plus, Burner HT, or Diablo Edge. I've hit all on a simulator, all feel great but I know its a lot different when you get on the course. Are the SGI clubs as good as they are hyped up to be? All I want to do is be able to hit the ball straight with a little more ease, I'm not looking for distance.. I hit the ball far enough, just the wrong way occasionally. Opinions and advice? Thanks!

My opinion is that you likely won't be able to tell the difference between them. Pick the one that is the cheapest or the one that you think looks the best.

Originally Posted by slicknick

As you guys can tell from my handicap (30), I'm not the greatest golfer. I'm not a hacker, I lose most of my strokes on the green, not necessarily getting to the green, but I'm still looking to upgrade from my boxed 2008 Slazenger Wrath irons. Which iron set would you recommend from the above- Burner Plus, Burner HT, or Diablo Edge. I've hit all on a simulator, all feel great but I know its a lot different when you get on the course. Are the SGI clubs as good as they are hyped up to be? All I want to do is be able to hit the ball straight with a little more ease, I'm not looking for distance.. I hit the ball far enough, just the wrong way occasionally. Opinions and advice? Thanks!

This is probably true but I'm weird in the fact that the burner plus irons are from 09 and the diablo edge are from 2011 so my thought process is- "is the technology between 2009 and 2011 found between the burner plus' and the diablos?"

Originally Posted by shades9323

My opinion is that you likely won't be able to tell the difference between them. Pick the one that is the cheapest or the one that you think looks the best.

The Burner Plus has a higher verticle center of gravity than the Diablo Edge, which is very low.  Not sure on the Burner HT, but my guess is that it is close to the Edge.  The lower COG will help you get the ball up easier.

See if you can find a course or pro that has a set you can hit on the range, or even for 9 holes at least.

I have the Burner Plus irons - love them.     If they were stolen, I wouldn't look at anything else (they're cheaper now too !!)      That BP  4 iron feels so good when you make solid contact & carries amazingly far.     Be sure to get the sand wedge - my favorite 80 yard club.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R11 10.5 UST Shaft
3 woods:R11   - 3 & 4 Hybrids: FTi-Z
5i-pw: Diablo Edge SW, GW & LW: CG16  

Putter: Scotty C  -  GPS: Bushnell  -  Balls: PRO-V1

whatever you decide on your best bet is to find a clubfitter who can check and adjust them in loft and lie angles to be sure THAT part of them is correct for your swing.  what you SHOULD do to be sure you get clubs that work for YOUR swing is to find a local clubfitter who can offer various designs that fit your budget AND your swing.  once you get better and have more $$ then go back and have them fit you with another set.  "off the rack" "sets" of clubs are a crapshoot when it comes to working for YOUR swing. i could go on but i've said enuf for now...

KZG Gemini 9* Aldila Proto By You
Leyland COPlasma 3wd
Golfsmith Q4 19*
Louisville HyLofter 24*
Wishon 770CFEs w/Nippons
Alpha P2 wedges
Louisville EWP putter

Originally Posted by slicknick

New irons, whether from a discount warehouse or a clubfitter, likely won't go any straighter than the boxed set irons.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

New irons, whether from a discount warehouse or a clubfitter, likely won't go any straighter than the boxed set irons.

I agree for the most part with your statement. I also think a 30+ handicapper should not pick up a set of blades either. The 30+ handicapper should pick up a set of clubs that are far more forgiving than a set of "blades".

I just got back into the game seriously after about 5-6 years away from the game. I currently play with Cleveland TA3's with S300 shafts. Back when I played alot, those were a great set of irons for me and I was a consistent 10 handicapper and could strike the ball solidly 95% of the time. Now it's a different story for me since I'm getting back into the game. My swing just isn't consistent enough to play these irons anymore. Last Thursday, I went out and shot an 84 and played pretty solid golf, then I went out and shot a 95 the following day. IMO, you have to be on your A game to really get these clubs to perform.

I am currently looking at the Burner 1.0's or Burner Plus myself, I went to the "Discount Warehouse" on Sunday and hit many shots and could really tell how much more solid these irons were compared to my TA3's, even on the miss hits.

I was fitted to the TA3's back in the day, with me being 5"9 and of average build. There really wasn't much that the fitter did besides turn the lie down 2 degrees and recommended the S300 shafts (with a swing speed a little over 100mph). After researching the uniflex shafts, I believe those will be the right shaft for me. The reason why I believe the Burners are the right club for me and for many others.

Phillip

I game the Burner + irons.  While I never considered the Burner HT or Diablo Edge's I think for the money the Burner +'s are a solid set of irons.

Last season I averaged about 96 for 18 and this year reduced it down to a 91 after making the iron switch.  What I like best is there are times when I mishit the ball and their forgiveness allows the ball to still fly straight and in the air.  With my old irons (Ping i2 knockoffs) it would have been a total duff.

Somebody mentioned the 4i above.  I love this club.  Could never hit a long iron.  Now my 4i is my go to club.  So easy to hit I am considering the 3i to match the set.

Back to your question...you probably can't go wrong with any of those sets.  All designed for game improvement.  You will noticed a wide sole on GI irons and some people can't get used to this after switching from a more conventional shape.  So keep that in mind.

Have you considered the Cobra S2max or S3max?

On the monitor the results of the S2max's were very similar to the Burner +.  The Burners were slightly longer for me with the same clubhead speed so I chose them over the S2max back in Jan.  I guess the shaft matched my swing a little better.

I did however think the Cobra's looked nicer though.  But I chose performance over looks.

Have you considered Ping G10's or G15's?

G10's can still be ordered to spec from Ping and for a decent price of $399 I believe.  Looking back I wish I had saved up the extra $100 and opted for these.  Pings tend to hold their value much more than TM's do.  And their quality is awesome.  On the Maltby scale the Pings are about the highest when it comes to the GI category.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Note: This thread is 4659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!