IGNORED

Finally cured my slice....shocking fix.

MrElculver2424
Note: This thread is 4647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went to the driving range about a month ago...sliced every single one of my drives and could not hit my irons solidly for my life. Went out golfing (18 holes) with my family, either sliced or topped every drive. It was horrible.

I spend so much time researching online how to fix a slice. Then spent weeks trying to fix my apparent out-to-in swing path, fix my head being ahead of the ball at impact, trying to turn over my hands more after impact. Nothing. Still was slicing every drive.

Went out to the driving range today. First 5 drives I sliced. I was so frustrated, I just set up over the next ball and took a really nice and slow swing, because I was giving up. And that one went straight down the middle of the driving range, about 180 yards. That was the turning point. That's all I had been doing wrong the whole entire time--swinging too hard! Swung nice and slow the next 10 drives and they all went straight down the middle. Went down to the end of the range onto the real grass to hit irons. Swung nice and slow again and was hitting my irons perfectly straight as well.

I can't believe the fix was as simple as that. I had thought I was doing something else wrong with my club path, face, or hands, or something like that. But I was just trying to swing too hard. I slowed down my swing and now I'm hitting every shot perfectly straight.

I'm so happy but I'm shocked it was something as simple as that! Just thought I'd post this to let you know that's all that fixed my slice :)

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

Lol it makes sense! Every round my friend/coach is screaming at me "don't try to kill it!!" It usually works but its a habit of mine to try to hit a homerun every time. When I can control it, its usually a good round!

In my  2.0 Lite bag:

Driver:  Superfast 10.5* stiff flex

3 Wood:  Superfast 2.0

4-SW: SQ Machspeed

GW:  52.08

Putter:  Rossa Daytona

Originally Posted by TMJunkie

Lol it makes sense! Every round my friend/coach is screaming at me "don't try to kill it!!"

It usually works but its a habit of mine to try to hit a homerun every time. When I can control it, its usually a good round!

Well, it came as a surprise to me because no one had ever told be to slow down my swing a little. They got all technical and everything...and here I wasn't even doing anything technically wrong, I was just trying to kill it and therefore my clubface was slightly open at impact.

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

Not shocking at all.  Worked for me.  Not swinging hard has got to be the number one hardest thing for me to do, as well as most people I see play.  I still dont believe that my 5 iron goes 150 straight as an arrow  when I swing like an 80 year old woman, it just doesnt seem possible but it works.  Pure contact beats out speed with poor contact every single time.  When I make great contact swinging as hard as I can the ball goes maybe 10-30 yards farther, and probably 10-30+ yards higher depending on the club, and its soooooo difficult to not want to try and get that result everytime.  The score sure does drop a whole heck of a lot with the soft swing.  If youre in between clubs, or not sure, CLUB UP and swing soft.  It is said so often, but people still dont do it.  Probably the same people that have never broken 100 legitimately, but still play from the tips. Pride gets in the way, and golf ads/golfers make it appear that you should swing hard all the time and its all about distance, but Id rather hit it straight and at my target everytime, wouldnt you?

• Upvote 1

I tend to hook the ball if I really go at it

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

me too - hardest thing for me is to not swing hard - also the thing I'm working on the hardest (especially hard to do when you're playing with buddies whoare long hitters ... but it's worth it for me to be a little shorter, but on the fairway.

Originally Posted by gjsuicide

Not swinging hard has got to be the number one hardest thing for me to do,

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by gjsuicide

Not shocking at all.  Worked for me.  Not swinging hard has got to be the number one hardest thing for me to do, as well as most people I see play.  I still dont believe that my 5 iron goes 150 straight as an arrow  when I swing like an 80 year old woman, it just doesnt seem possible but it works.  Pure contact beats out speed with poor contact every single time.  When I make great contact swinging as hard as I can the ball goes maybe 10-30 yards farther, and probably 10-30+ yards higher depending on the club, and its soooooo difficult to not want to try and get that result everytime.  The score sure does drop a whole heck of a lot with the soft swing.  If youre in between clubs, or not sure, CLUB UP and swing soft.  It is said so often, but people still dont do it.  Probably the same people that have never broken 100 legitimately, but still play from the tips. Pride gets in the way, and golf ads/golfers make it appear that you should swing hard all the time and its all about distance, but Id rather hit it straight and at my target everytime, wouldnt you?

Yeah, I guess it is said a lot. But no one has ever said it to me, that's all I meant.

I'm right around 95 for 18 holes right now...trying to improve. First step is getting new clubs, which I'll probably get for Christmas or by birthday right after because I'm still using junior clubs and I know I'd be hitting the ball a lot further with men's clubs.

Thats exactly what fixed mine as well. Take a nice, firm, tempoed swing, make good contact and let the club due to work. I still fade the ball about 10 yards but its very controllable and predictable. I actually like have a natural fade. You always know what its going to do and you can play to it.

Driver- Titleist 910 D3 9.5

3 Wood- Burner 15 degree
Irons- Slingshot 4I-AW
Hybrid- CPR 3 22 degree
Putter- White Hot XG 8

I'm not surprised... Mine was terrible, then a simple grip change and learning to shift my weight at the right time fixed it.

Congrats on it! Shaved off a whopping 18 strokes the first time I played after my fix.

I coulda sworn I left the cart right here......

Wow that's great man.. I have the same problem as you do. I get in trouble trying to swing way to hard and be a hero on every shot and out drive everyone off the tee.. I guess that's part of being 22? Haha

I agree with the last part. I play with a lot of older guys and they're always sayin how far they used to hit it n with my size/strength I need to be hittin it 300! So then obviously I try to do it n end up about 230 and usually in the adjacent fairway! Luckily I put a better swing on irons, its mostly driver or 3 wood that gets me in trouble!

In my  2.0 Lite bag:

Driver:  Superfast 10.5* stiff flex

3 Wood:  Superfast 2.0

4-SW: SQ Machspeed

GW:  52.08

Putter:  Rossa Daytona

I think what was happening was I was trying to swing so hard that most of my body, including my head, was way in front of the ball at impact--resulting in an open clubface. When I swing slower, I can keep my head behind the ball and get the clubface square at impact, and that's what I think fixed my slice.

Thats how i learned how to hit a drive, just trying something different at the range.  Read some reviews of the FTI as it said it was a "cure all for slices" well no club can do that and i was slicing just as bad as ever.  One day at the range i was getting mad at how bad i was slicing, i took a weird stance moved my hands way forward and bam well passed the 200 flag straight.  Repeated this for the rest of the bucket and all of them were monsters.  I even had the course pro ask me if i was on the college golf team in town. (And i was only a jr. in high school).

What ever works.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

Went out to the driving range today. First 5 drives I sliced. I was so frustrated, I just set up over the next ball and took a really nice and slow swing, because I was giving up. And that one went straight down the middle of the driving range, about 180 yards. That was the turning point. That's all I had been doing wrong the whole entire time--swinging too hard! Swung nice and slow the next 10 drives and they all went straight down the middle. Went down to the end of the range onto the real grass to hit irons. Swung nice and slow again and was hitting my irons perfectly straight as well.

I mean what I will type now in a way that won't take anything away from your post...

I'm quite sure you're doing plenty of other things "wrong" the whole time... but as you've discovered you can "time things up" well enough when you swing slower that you can make several compensations to hit the ball as you'd expect to with a 16-ish handicap.

I still encourage you to keep learning. Your head being in front of the ball, for example, may still be a flaw - you just handle it better when you have more time. Also, please don't worry about " turning your hands over at impact ."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Swinging slower is a great way to improve your game; however, swinging slow is not.  Swinging slow is simply a bandaid and not a fix.  What level of effort do most pros swing their driver at?  I think I have read somewhere that number is around 80-90%.  They have managed to swing at a level of effort that is barely within their control.  5% more effort and they would be hitting 30-50% of fairways.  Swinging at the maximum effort that is barely within our control should be our goal.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

I have a problem with slicing also, I took a full swing lesson with cameras at golf tec and they fixed my stance.  I'm hitting more conistent but I'm still slicing bad.  Some times, the ball will hit the ground and roll laterally to the right!  I'm going to try making a contious effort to not kill the ball and see how that works out.  Thanks for posting what helped!

Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 Driver Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 3 Wood Taylormade R11 Hybrid 19* Taylormade MC Forged Irons 4-PW Taylormade XFT 52, 56 60 Wedges Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter Taylormade Penta Balls

for me it wasn't just slowing the swing down but getting a consistent tempo. when i slice it is still a controlled back swing but a jerk and rush down at the ball. smooth transitionand and steady tempo help keep the clubhead speed up and the swing under control.

After reading this thread I thought I'd try it out at the range too...

My typical bad miss is usually a high hook but I thought what the hell it was worth a shot...

So I took my PW and hit 5 balls with a full swing but what felt like 50% effort... then grabbed the driver and tried to replicate both the speed and tempo..

Low and behold I hit them dead straight and prob gained about 5-10 meters!!!! I actually left out a little laugh as it seemed too easy....

Looking forward to hit the course this weekend to see if I can transfer it to there.

"Let the bears pay the bear tax I pay the Homer tax!"

Note: This thread is 4647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!