IGNORED

How's the heat wave treating you?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 4668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Oh I know it is definitely hotter where you are at Motteler621. I wasn't being a wise guy or battling temps with ya lol. Just saying that anything over 90 period (even with heat index) is HOT! It's hard to play golf but it definitely is doable. Just have to be careful and be wise. Stay hydrated and dress appropriately. Moderation also. Not many people are out so speed of play is definitely slower and the break at the turn is much longer! It always amplifies the heat coming out of the AC back into the heat though.

Edit:  It's more doable with age and level of fitness as well, is what I meant. Seniors over 60 definitely need to be careful in this heat. Everyone needs to be careful, but obviously those that are very young, the elderly, and people with any type of medical issues need to be even more cautious and stay indoors.

I would much rather play in the heat that we have been having than the cold we had in April and May.  I've been playing a lot more 9 hole rounds, but play more often, so that I'm not in the heat of the day.  I have always played in the early morning, l like tee times around 7 am or earlier, but even those have been hot and humid.  This morning at 8:00 AM CST, 85 degrees and 60% humidity, so even an ealy start is hot.  But I will drink a lot of water before I play and then drink even more while I am playing.  I also look for the shade when waiting for my friends to hit a ball.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Terrible. I refuse to go out in the heat we're having right now...it was 103 degrees yesterday and might reach 108 today. I just will not play in that. Drinks get warm immediately, and unless I take a cart, I will not play. It's just too hot.

I would rather play in 60 degree weather and wear thicker clothing than 100 degree weather. I'm a winter person as well...I like the cold better than the hot.

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

Played 9 this morning - 85 and humid, 95 at finish. I will take this over 3 ft of snow anyday... anyday... Cycling and running in this weather helps build the stamina. If you do range work say 85 balls in this weather do you burn more calories ?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by indykappa

it's absolutely smoking here in north carolina, but i have the driving range/course to myself.  i was a catcher from little league all the up through college, so i'm used to being in this weather with gear on...playing in shorts and a dri-fit shirt is almost like being naked!!

Where do you play at?

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

Originally Posted by nevets88

Played 9 this morning - 85 and humid, 95 at finish.

I will take this over 3 ft of snow anyday... anyday...

Cycling and running in this weather helps build the stamina.

If you do range work say 85 balls in this weather do you burn more calories ?

You actually burn less calories in high heat.  The stamina built, in what you mention above, is in your body's ability to combat dehydration and hold onto electrolytes so your body can continue to function better.  When it is cold, you burn more calories to keep your body temperature up, however, it does not take as much energy to sweat.

Heat index is almost 120 today in DC, my air conditioning can barely keep up, it's set to like 60 and my apartment is around 75.

Greetings all... heat index of about 116 here in the Baltimore suburbs today. Went to the range at lunchtime.

Supposed to be equally ridiculous tomorrow, and we're teeing off at 7:12am. I don't mind the heat whatsoever. It definitely opens things up a bit.

Heat index of 103 today here in MA. Sweated through 3 gloves in about 75 golf balls at the range.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Let me just say this....................I LOVE THE HEAT!!!!!!!!!!

As other golfers avoid the heat, their loss is my gain.  I played 3 evenings this week as a single and averaged about 2hrs 5-10minutes for 18 holes.  BRING THE HEAT............I love it.  I live in KC where we've been in the 100+heat index for 2 weeks.......I don't mind it.  It beats the hell out of snow.................

PS..I'm not getting any younger, and at 43......I swing my best when it's HOT!!  BRING THE HEAT!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Until you have 90+ temps and 60%+ humidity...you haven't felt hell, IMO.

Its like walking into a sauna outside during the day here in KY.  Its hard to breathe let alone play golf.  The greatest thing is that even if you get out early in the morning..the humidity is at 75% or higher(up to 90%) here lately and the temps are still low 80's.  Its pretty uncomfortable.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Just got done with 18 holes - it's 99, with a heat index of 108 here in N/E PA.       Got through it - last few holes were a challenge.     Par'd the 18th (thoughest hole on the course), so pfffffft on the heat !!

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Originally Posted by nevets88

Anyone refraining from playing or teaching or trudging onwards?

I love the heat, Usually play 3 days per week regardless of the 90+ temps and the 80 to100% humidity, If there is a breeze out there it isnt too bad, if there isnt a breeze it isnt too bad either, LOL.  Although I do prefer a nice breeze while playing.

It's 104* in NYC. You want hell, take what we have now and go down into the NYC subway, where it is hellish worse, 115+. Have yet to see nary a golf bag on the subway. Usually in the summer, there's lots.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Charlotte, NC.....hot AND humid (index today was 120).  I played 45 holes this week.  18 of which were a tournament (and I actually played well).  I probably wouldn't have played today but my son who is leaving for college soon wanted to play.  Frankly, I don't like the scorching feeling but the air conditioning is working in my house when the round is over.

Heat wave aye It was -6C here this morning (thats 21F) and I have my brand new set of JPX 800 Pro irons to test. Come on sun, thaw the frost out! Where's global warming when you need it?

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

Originally Posted by k14

Heat wave aye It was -6C here this morning (thats 21F) and I have my brand new set of JPX 800 Pro irons to test. Come on sun, thaw the frost out! Where's global warming when you need it?

Can you post a link to where you are on a map?...........I'd like to see!!  WOW......you must be near the artic!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Can you post a link to where you are on a map?...........I'd like to see!!  WOW......you must be near the artic!!

Try the other hemisphere, New Zealand :) It got just above freezing and I managed to go and have a hit of my new sticks. Toes went numb though

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

Note: This thread is 4668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!