IGNORED

What happened to etiquette in golf?

Kujo
Note: This thread is 4628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A course I belonged to had a New Members Night complete with complimentary meal and beverages.

They were also taught course etiquette expected of them and they were also shown how to fix a ball mark properly.

Some people think digging a hole to China is fixing a ball mark.

Really the fix should just be to bring the soil back level with minimal damage.

Is there anybody who can explain or point to a video of the proper way to fix a ball mark?  This is something I've always been curious about.  I think I do a pretty good job most of the time, but there are some types of greens (very firm) where the ball mark is very tough to repair because it looks like all that is left is mud and an indentation.  I wonder how to best repair these.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Is there anybody who can explain or point to a video of the proper way to fix a ball mark?  This is something I've always been curious about.  I think I do a pretty good job most of the time, but there are some types of greens (very firm) where the ball mark is very tough to repair because it looks like all that is left is mud and an indentation.  I wonder how to best repair these.

Brandon

Here is a good video on your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-ZzT8yMnmg

I had it all lined up to take a picture of a hole that has been ravaged by ball marks. It's an island green hole and people have just killed it this year. Unfortunately it was the 12th hole and we got rained out after the 9th.

Here's a vid for fixing marks:

• Upvote 1

I have to add that although it will work when used carefully, a tee is not the best tool for the job.  A tee can actually tear up the turf even worse.  A pitch mark repair tool with flat tines is the best tool to use, but do use it exactly as that video showed, pressing the turf in from the edges of the crater to fill the void.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Brandon

I have that same problem at my home course.  The divot in that video response was relatively small.  At my home course you can get a ball that will slide in its own divot, leaving a little streek along with the pitch mark.

That's because the video is showing how to repair a ball mark, not a divot.

Originally Posted by trackster

I have that same problem at my home course.  The divot in that video response was relatively small.  At my home course you can get a ball that will slide in its own divot, leaving a little streek along with the pitch mark.

Butch

Maybe that was my bad, I call ball marks on the green divots.  Thus why I carry around a "divot fixer".  That "divot" is a relatively small one compared to the huge craters on the green I make at my home course.  I'm not sure if it is just the type or green, or the wetness of the course, or something else.  They are nearly impossible to fix properly to where you can barely see it.

OK, so I dont have the time to read right through this thread, but how about people wondering onto your fairway? If they are within my landing area, I'll wait, wave my arms, maybe give them the bird. Other than that, i'll just hit right over them. Doesnt take long for them to realize they are in the wrong place and need to be paying attention. Usually I will just say to them when I walk past "Trying to get yourself killed today are we??" or "you need to pay more attention out here. If you get hit on another fairway, it will be your own fault". Some people unfortunately dont have a clue, and thats part of playing on public courses.

Originally Posted by mymizunosrock

OK, so I dont have the time to read right through this thread, but how about people wondering onto your fairway? If they are within my landing area, I'll wait, wave my arms, maybe give them the bird. Other than that, i'll just hit right over them. Doesnt take long for them to realize they are in the wrong place and need to be paying attention. Usually I will just say to them when I walk past "Trying to get yourself killed today are we??" or "you need to pay more attention out here. If you get hit on another fairway, it will be your own fault". Some people unfortunately dont have a clue, and thats part of playing on public courses.

Hell, I don't even try to hit over people like that - I aim directly at them. Only way they're gonna learn, right?

On a serious note, I agree: Some people don't have a clue. Check out the 136th post on this thread for an excellent example.

Bill

Originally Posted by mymizunosrock

Sorry - still no excuse for hitting a ball at someone.  You are at risk of causing serious injury and if you did you would definitely be held liable due to your own negligence.  Yell at them, flip them off, whatever turns your crank (better yet just shake your head and accept the fact that there are idiots who play golf and wait til they leave), but hitting a ball at another person is never the right thing to do.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by camper6

And if you hit someone badly?  You are responsible.  Never hit into anyone deliberately.  Never.  It's not worth it.

Words to live by.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Trackster's outlandish comments have often led people to wonder if he might be a cleverly disguised troll. I think the jury's still out on that.

The jury is back from deliberations.  The verdict is unanimous.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Sorry - still no excuse for hitting a ball at someone.  You are at risk of causing serious injury and if you did you would definitely be held liable due to your own negligence.  Yell at them, flip them off, whatever turns your crank (better yet just shake your head and accept the fact that there are idiots who play golf and wait til they leave), but hitting a ball at another person is never the right thing to do.

Maybe I missed a fine detail in the OP, but I don't understand why the person on the tee box owns that particular fairway.  There have been many times where I've been on a tee box and somebody from an adjacent hole landed in "my" fairway, and I allowed him to play his ball before I played mine in the interest of pace of play of the entire course.  In other words, it would take less time for him to get out of my way, than it would for everybody in our foursome to play our tee shots...not to mention him waiting on us would result in the people behind his group waiting on them even longer.

Sure, I've seen some people wander aimlessly through a fairway, clueless to the people on the tee box, but I get the impression from some posts that the people on the tee box should always play into the fairway before allowing a stray golfer to get out of their way.  That doesn't seem like good etiquette to me.  Is there a rule (written or unwritten) that addresses this?

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

There is such a rule and if fact it is a law in every state of the union as far as I know.  It states if you knowingly or through gross negligence endanger someone and damage them you are responsible.  In extreme cases it can be criminal but in most cases it is handled in civil court.

In addition the USGA Rules of Golf etiquette section says you should not hit a ball until the group in front of you is clear.

Is there a rule (written or unwritten) that addresses this?

Brandon

Butch

My favorite is when a ball is hit to the adjacent fairway and the tee box for the next hole is in line with the green you are trying to hit too.  It now becomes a who wants to move now.  The logical play would be for the group to move back off the tee box and let the person play and get out of there way.  But what I have witnessed most times is the group on the tee will expect you to move they will all hit there shots (some which might not go past your ball) all go look for there balls, then possibly someone short of you will have to play a 2nd shot and 10 minute later you can hit.

I played as a single once, where I had an older man in his 70s i would say walking infront of me and a foursome in carts in front of him.  I pulled a tee shot on to their fairway and was left with about 200 yards out.  I went up to my ball right as the 4 some was clearing the hole and the older gentleman was preparing his approach shot.  I move so the guys could tee off (I figured this would time out well with the golfer in front of me).  3 Of the 4 guys did not clear my ball and where sitting in my line .  So I go to stand by my ball and line up the shot (The guy in front of me was now starting to putt.  The 4 some races there golf carts up to me and tell me to hit while the man is still on the green.  I just stood there and patiently waited out their stairs, then when the man had cleared the green I proceeded to hit one that reached the green.

If I would have shanked one I would have still of had the same mentality, I know I can reach a green from 200 our and I'm not gonna hit with someone else on it.

Note: This thread is 4628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!