IGNORED

Does anyone look "in front" of the ball instead of at it?

airlyss
Note: This thread is 3350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys,

Been lurking here for a while and thought I'd share something that really helped me today, though I'm not sure if its a bandaid or a legit strategy.  For the past few weeks, I've been struggling with the dreaded fat iron shot.  On my practice swings, I was scraping the grass well forward in a good spot, but put the ball there and bam, fat shot after fat shot.

I was playing a par-3 with a friend today and after the 3rd chunk, decided to not look at the ball when swinging, but instead look at a spot about an inch in front of the ball (btw the ball and target).  It felt weird for the first 2 swings, but the rest of the round I was hitting the ball flush first and taking a good divot in front.

By staring in front of and not at the ball, I think it helped in two ways: first, by not focusing on the ball, it almost tricked me into thinking it was just another practice swing and took a lot of the "hit the ball" pressure out of my mind.  Second, it also allowed me to focus on where I wanted to club to bottom out and get my weight forward.

Just wanted to see if this is a swing thought anyone else uses.

I also fought (and still fight) fat shots, and I've done the same thing as you. My guess is that it is a band-aid.

I've also had about the same success by picking out a dimple on the back of the ball and thinking only, "Hit the dimple first."

I look in front of the ball to wear I want my divot.  Bobby Clampett's, "The Impact Zone" describes this in detail.  I think it helps me shift my weight forward more consistently.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the idea is to check whether you're accidentally swaying during the backswing an inch seems quite far forward to me. I can imagine looking at a spot half an inch or even a quarter of an inch in front because then you're very aware of your body swaying in the backswing (you'll lose sight of the point you were looking at as it'll dissappear under the ball) but from an inch forward wouldn't give me an exact point of reference for knowing if I've swayed.

If the idea is to try and make ground contact with the point you're looking at then an inch is about right as there's an extra half an inch under the ball as viewed from above.

Glad it's working for you

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

The idea is to not flip, which can happen if the mind subconciously tries to hit the ball. I sometimes do this as a drill when my ballstriking is poor, but I usually look at the ball. It's a great drill that gave me immediate results, which I tried to memorize and ingrain in my normal swing.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I have been fighting fat iron shots the past month or so and have identified four things causing it: 1) standing too close to the ball 2) bending my left arm on the back swing 3) poor tempo and 4) playing the ball too far forward in my stance.  By concentrating on keeping my left arm straight in the back swing and maintaining proper tempo (slowing down my swing), my divots are in front of the ball.

The bottom of the swing should be where your head is positioned.  By looking ahead of the ball, you may be moving your head forward without even realizing it.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

I started doing this after reading someone's post on here in the spring.  It helped tremendously at first...but now for some reason I feel really uncomfortable over the ball while starring in front of it.  I still can make good contact most of the time, but there is something that just doesn't feel right...no idea what changed.  On top of that, I've been hitting a lot of pull hooks lately, even with the good "ball first, then divot" contact.  Might go back to starring at the ball for a little while, see if it changes anything...the issue is almost certainly deeper than that though...

In my Grom XX:
cleveland.gif Launcher 12.0* Fujikura Saishin 65 S and 15* Fujikura Fit-On Gold R // ping.gif G10 Irons, AWT Steel S, Fitted Purple Dot// cleveland.gifCG14 Chrome 56*, 14 // odyssey.gif Crimson Series 550 Mallet, 34" // srixon.gifZ-Star

As Roblar said earlier, it is just a band aid. There is a flaw in your swing somewhere that is causing this. Most likely standing too close to the ball or overextending the backswing

SteelCitySlice,

The pull hook is caused by getting too far over the top on your downswing. Most likely caused by starting the club to far to the inside on the takeaway

Driver:  R9 Supertri 10.5* -  909D3 9.5*

2 Hybrid:  2009 TP Rescue 17*

Irons:  R9 TP 3-PW

Wedges:  Vokey 54* & 60*

Putter:  2Ball Vline 34"

As Roblar said earlier, it is just a band aid. There is a flaw in your swing somewhere that is causing this. Most likely standing too close to the ball or overextending the backswing

SteelCitySlice,

The pull hook is caused by getting too far over the top on your downswing. Most likely caused by starting the club to far to the inside on the takeaway

No, it's not a band aid. You can have a picture perfect swing and still not hit the ball well because of flipping, which sits in the wrists. This drill can help you educate the wrists to not flip. Many players have a very good impact position on a practice swing, but once the ball is there, they flip. The only difference is the ball. If you hit the ball better with this drill, it does not automatically indicate that you have a flaw in the swing.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

LongballPro - I think you just set my next range session for me.  Took a couple practice swings this morning and could feel exactly what you are talking about.  Going to focus on making sure the club stays outside of my hands a little more in the takeaway, see if that keeps my club more on plane.

Sorry guys, don't want to jack this post and turn it into a pull hook/OTT post...I'm done.

Originally Posted by LongballPro

SteelCitySlice,

In my Grom XX:
cleveland.gif Launcher 12.0* Fujikura Saishin 65 S and 15* Fujikura Fit-On Gold R // ping.gif G10 Irons, AWT Steel S, Fitted Purple Dot// cleveland.gifCG14 Chrome 56*, 14 // odyssey.gif Crimson Series 550 Mallet, 34" // srixon.gifZ-Star

Morning, I have looked at a spot in front of the ball on the target line for months with my irons only. does not work for me with hybrids or fairway woods, with them I look at the rear inward quarter of the ball. started this after reading it somewhere in one of the many books and articles and for me my iron striking improved tremendously. I am a new player having started this summer playing par 3's first then full courses about a month ago.

For beginners, I would say it is a very useful drill. The faster you start making a divot in front of the ball, the better.

Quote:

Many players have a very good impact position on a practice swing, but once the ball is there, they flip. The only difference is the ball. If you hit the ball better with this drill, it does not automatically indicate that you have a flaw in the swing.

This is so true!!!!!

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

But aren't the wrists part of the swing? If you are flipping the wrists, there is a breakdown in the swing? Right?

Originally Posted by Zeph

No, it's not a band aid. You can have a picture perfect swing and still not hit the ball well because of flipping, which sits in the wrists. This drill can help you educate the wrists to not flip.

Many players have a very good impact position on a practice swing, but once the ball is there, they flip. The only difference is the ball. If you hit the ball better with this drill, it does not automatically indicate that you have a flaw in the swing.

But aren't the wrists part of the swing? If you are flipping the wrists, there is a breakdown in the swing? Right?

Of course, but it's a bit different than the rest of the swing. And the drill to fix it is looking ahead of the ball, to educate the hands. Once you've found the feeling, you might be able to move the focus back again later. Some play with the focus ahead of the ball all the time too. I don't see it as a band aid, like for instance taking a stronger grip to counter an over the top slice swing. I got different thoughts and drills when I play golf, none of them is what I call a band aid. They are all drills to help me ingrain a change. The way I see it, a band aid is when you do something different in another part of the swing to get rid of a problem. Instead of working on the specific thing that is causing your problems. If anything, it may teach you to ingrain a wrong move.

Another good drill to stop breaking the wrists and getting into a good impact position is to take an alignment stick and grip the club with the stick pointing ot of the butt end of the shaft. When you swing, instant feedback as the stick will poke you in the stomach

Originally Posted by LongballPro

I vote yes on flipping = a swing flaw. Hands leading the clubhead through the ball, and not the other way around, is a basic fundamental of hitting a standard golf shot. I can't believe anyone who's ever played other raquet or stick and ball sports before taking up golf would ever flip unless they were trying to hit a flop shot. It's completely illogical. Is it common? Apparently, but get rid of the flip first or all the other nitpicking is a complete waste of time. endrant/

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 3350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!