IGNORED

Hitting into a Net

iacas
Note: This thread is 2491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My camera is a Panasonic PV-gs80. I bought it on eBay and it was very affordable. I use the cSwing software to analyze it. You are dead on in terms of the commitment it takes to attempt to change your swing yourself. If you decide to do this, plan on buying a number of books doing lots of research online. Studying the swing has basically become a hobby of mine. My wife just roles her eyes now when she sees me reading because she knows I'm reading about the golf swing. But, hey, it sure beats watching Nancy Grace on tv with her.

What's the exact model number of that camera? I do not think I have seen a camera that does 1000 fps in HD for under a few thousand dollars. [quote name="golfballs01" url="/t/53895/hitting-into-a-net/126#post_794843"]I have a Casio XLIM camera that I use. You can get it on e-bay. It's 1,000 frames per second and in HD. Great camera![/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Next for me is the camera setup but will start with my little Nikon Coolpix. A video of my swing will probably show some glaring issues that need corrected. I actually think seeing ball flight would be important for video work to get a baseline of what the swing actually produces. Anyone know if any swing coach's have an internet site that you can send video in for a small fee for quick analysis? Seems like a good little business for someone.

Mizuno MP series irons, Vockey wedges, Callaway FT metal woods.

You can send it to Michael Breed on the GolfFix. They break it down and explain it in detail, using lines and a large screen, he makes it easy to understand. Not only does he point out the issues, he offers a great solution as well. Best of all, it's FREE!

i think a net and camera and flight monitor is the best way to make swing changes. but hitting off non-shock absorbing mats can be bad for your back, shoulders, elbows and wrists. just to be on the safe side, stay away from hitting a lot of irons and practice more with hybrids,  woods, and drivers.  anyway, i think it's easier to focus more on your swing while indoors especially here in florida where its incredibly windy.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by golfballs01

You can send it to Michael Breed on the GolfFix. They break it down and explain it in detail, using lines and a large screen, he makes it easy to understand. Not only does he point out the issues, he offers a great solution as well. Best of all, it's FREE!

I don't recommend that...

But could you answer the question asked of you above about the type of camera you use?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In relation to net hitting, ive been scouring practice balls and come across the foam and plastic training balls.

I couldnt manage searching through these posts for it, but am wondering if using these foam or plastic training balls into a net on the backyard will help with adjusting changes to my swing and/or ball impact technique?

The camera that I use is the CASIO Exilim EX-FH25. It is very versitle and takes great videos. You can take regular digital pictures with it as well. It's light weight and you can choose the different speeds. 240 - 48 - 1,000 fps. When you want to stop moving objects in their tracks, this is the camera. When I baught it, it was about $499.00 They stoped making the camera though, so you can find them on e-bay for around $700.00 If you teach or use the camera very much, it's well worth the money. It uses 4 AA batteries, and a memory card. I've given thousands of lessons with this camera and it has held up beautifully. It still works like a new camera.

Hope this helps you in your quest for video quality.

Chris Warner

Master Teaching Professional

Certified Examiner.

Quite honestly, if you are an advanced player, I don't suggest using foam or wiffle balls. The feedback is missleading and will ruin your touch and impact feel. Remember, a great portion of the swing is by instinct. When judging your distance, you rely on what Butch Harmon refers to as the smash factor. The reaction off of the face is adjusted by feel. There are practice balls called "Almostgolf" balls. They feel like real balls, including the weight. They go a maximum of about 100 yards with a driver. The main thing though is they feel real and you can work them, receive great feedback, and yet they don't break windows or hurt anyone when they hit someone. I use these for parking lot clinics. They are endorsed by Dave Peltz and work great.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by golfballs01

The camera that I use is the CASIO Exilim EX-FH25.

Thanks. The same cameras I use... it doesn't do 1000 FPS in HD as " It's 1,000 frames per second and in HD" says.

Originally Posted by golfballs01

Quite honestly, if you are an advanced player, I don't suggest using foam or wiffle balls. The feedback is missleading and will ruin your touch and impact feel. Remember, a great portion of the swing is by instinct. When judging your distance, you rely on what Butch Harmon refers to as the smash factor. The reaction off of the face is adjusted by feel. There are practice balls called "Almostgolf" balls. They feel like real balls, including the weight.

Sorry to be pedantic, but:

a) "Butch Harmon" doesn't refer to it as the smash factor - that's what it's called (and he didn't invent the term). It's simply the ratio of clubhead speed and ball speed. As spin loft increases, smash factor will decrease. As centeredness of contact decreases, so too does smash factor.

b) AlmostGolf balls ARE foam golf balls. They're not the same weight as a regular golf ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So for practicing it would be more beneficial to hit regular golf balls into a net (in the back yard) and just hope i dont shank/sky any into the neighbors?

Would this outdoor net be fine for it?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=548070537

Im of course just worried about the very low % of shots that may just somehow miss the net and end up god knows where lol.

I have scoped out an area in the corner of my back yard where a couple of trees are to hang a net this spring. I am going to use overhanging branches to secure the net and let it naturally hang down from there. My net is 10' X 10'. If you hang it about 8' tall, the 2' of slack at the bottom is perfect to let the net gently receive the ball and softly bring it to the ground . I'm going to hang the net in an "L" shape so that 6 1/2 ft of the net is perpendicular to my target and the rest is horizontal and to the right of my target coming back towards me. As you mention, it doesnt't happen very often, but the occasional hossel-rocket is bound to occur. This is especially true when: 1) over the course of time, you end up hitting thousands of balls into the net; and 2) you are trying to change some aspect of your swing. I had two hits this year (I remember them vividly) that shot right and missed everything (my indoor net is perpendicular to my target line and doesn't have a bunch of room to the right). I turned the room into a real life pinball machine. Luckily, the ball didn't hit me and the wall damage was easy to fix.

Originally Posted by mpbrown

So for practicing it would be more beneficial to hit regular golf balls into a net (in the back yard) and just hope i dont shank/sky any into the neighbors?

Would this outdoor net be fine for it?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=548070537

Im of course just worried about the very low % of shots that may just somehow miss the net and end up god knows where lol.

That's my concern as well.  I shanked one into my neighbor's house when I was a kid.  Now I'm afraid to use one of these.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by dsc123

That's my concern as well.  I shanked one into my neighbor's house when I was a kid.  Now I'm afraid to use one of these.

Me too. I could just imagine the looks on my neighbors faces as I tee off aiming directly at their deck!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Definitely hitting foam balls into the net would be almost worthless other than to practice swinging the club. I don't even recommend the Almost Ball into the net unless you are inside using Optishot.

As far as missing the net goes. I have shanked quite a few balls in my net and the shank flies off at about a 45 degree angle and it has always stayed in the net surround. Don't practice anything higher than a 52 degree wedge and I don't do it much unless I am playing it back in my stance. The key to the net is to forget about missing it and just start hitting the ball like you would on the course or at the range. You can buy an adequate net for under 100.00. You can also buy just the netting and make a pvc pipe frame dirt cheap. There are many ways to do this.

Originally Posted by twittek

i think a net and camera and flight monitor is the best way to make swing changes. but hitting off non-shock absorbing mats can be bad for your back, shoulders, elbows and wrists. just to be on the safe side, stay away from hitting a lot of irons and practice more with hybrids,  woods, and drivers.  anyway, i think it's easier to focus more on your swing while indoors especially here in florida where its incredibly windy.

Man, I love practicing in the wind. I think it really helps you learn how to flight the ball. The best practice I get with my driver is at the high school football field which is a 1/4 mile from me. I can hit dead into a prevailing wind with the Almost Ball using the hash marks to line up a "fairway". After multiple trips to the range and putting about 1/3 of my tee balls into trouble on the course this year, this was the trick that taught me how to hit the driver flush and straight.

I don't recommend hitting the driver into the net unless you are having trouble just making contact. You can hit 100 balls into the net and think you are hitting it well and maybe you are making good contact but you will have no idea what your ball flight is and where the ball is going unless you have the simulator or monitor. Way to high a margin of error with the metals.

My basic function for the net is to obtain a decent technique for my drives. I'm not fussed about ball flight yet as I kinda know when I've hit a good one. I don't have a driving range anywhere nearby which sucks so this is my best bet. I'm hoping to upload a few vids on here for critique and hope to start hitting straighter/better when I get to the course to put it all into practice.

Note: This thread is 2491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!