IGNORED

I just don't want to play a ProV1

Note: This thread is 4354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

youre like those kids at my school who dye their hair and put holes in their ears to look different.  only they all look the same.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Really more like the kid who doesn't want to wear a t-shirt with "Abercrombie" on it. Cool with the concept of a t-shirt. Know that a few people wear their Abercrombie t-shirt because they like the color, fit, it was a gift... but most wear it because it is popular and they like the ads.

I'm not looking for the metaphoric equivalent of a bone through my nose.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I'm sorry but I guess I just don't get it. Play what suits your game best. If it's a Pro V, who cares? Use what you perform your best with. I can assure you that at the end of the day, you care more than other people do. No one will look at your ball and make comment lol. If they do, they're really weird to put it lightly.

Originally Posted by Spyder

I'm sorry but I guess I just don't get it. Play what suits your game best. If it's a Pro V, who cares? Use what you perform your best with. I can assure you that at the end of the day, you care more than other people do. No one will look at your ball and make comment lol. If they do, they're really weird to put it lightly.

I suspect that most people who say they don't care actually do care. They care a lot.

I suspect a players who says, "no way am I playing a Titleist" is told far more often to try a Titleist because it probably suits his or her game, far more than a person saying "I will only play Titleist balls" is told to broaden their horizons because there might be a better ball for their game out there, sporting a different logo.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I suspect that most people who say they don't care actually do care. They care a lot.

I suspect a players who says, "no way am I playing a Titleist" is told far more often to try a Titleist because it probably suits his or her game, far more than a person saying "I will only play Titleist balls" is told to broaden their horizons because there might be a better ball for their game out there, sporting a different logo.

I'm very glad that I've never run into this type of person then. The people that I play with use what they use because it benefits their game. They don't use equipment that appeals to other people. If it does appeal to others, it wasn't purchased to do so. I, myself, have never once looked at someone else's golf equipment and offered my opinion on what they should use - nor do I care enough to do so.

My point is, why would someone openly state that they refuse to use what is popular and for that reason only. I would use a Pro V in a heartbeat if it benefited my game, but it does not. I don't go around telling others to use a Srixon ball because I do though. If they ask my opinion of the ball, I'll state my own bias opinion and say "I like it" and leave it at that. I'm not a marketing agent for the company so I have no reason to sell their product to anyone.

This topic is simply putting way too much complexity into an already complex game. Grab a ball and hit it, regardless of the branding, so long as it suits your game best. This goes for clubs, shoes, shirts, hats, underwear, beer, life in general. Use the brand/ball that benefits you and appeals to you.

1. I do not care what others think of my equipment choices. I never meant to give the impression that I did. I sport some popular brands including Titleist 910's, and I use odd brands of other things. It does not matter what others think. (Full disclosure: I will not wear my True Linkswear or Ecco Biom neon-green trimmed shoes when invited to an exclusive club because of what people might think of me and, by reflection, think of my host.)

2. I care about the brands I use. I am aware of some of my brand biases around some products including golf balls. After 30 years in advertising and marketing, I have come to believe that we are all influenced by branding all the time. Some of us notice it sometimes. Others do not notice. And some even think they are selecting products without any bias -- we think they are wrong. These theories of brand bias influencing purchasing choices are taken as fact in my business. After all, we are in the business of trying to create brand bias. I presented my bias here and got a chorus of "just ignore the bias" advise. (Kind of like, "The jury will disregard the witnesses confession to the crime.") I was insensitive to the audience on this forum and and did not mean to offend those of you who believe you are above the influence of branding. I did not intend this thread to be a debate about people's ability to select branded products without bias.

3. In most things, I lean toward the underdog, the little guy, the off brand. For example, I was an Apple guy when they were struggling and predicted to go under. They built up tremendous brand loyalty with me in those early years. I still use them today even as they are one of the largest and most successful companies -- not the underdog or little guy any more. Everything they do is not perfect but I drink the Kool Aid every day. I even owned five Newtons and I not only forgave them, but I am still an Apple fan. That's a powerful brand and some serious brand bias.

4. I'd like to find a ball that works great but is not a Titelist ProV. Titleist ProV balls are the Windows based computers of the golf ball world except Titleist ProV don't require you to go back to the first hole and re-tee after every few holes (Get it? Like re-booting.). I want to play the Mac of golf balls. I want to play the underdog with a better product that may just become the largest golf ball manufacturer in the world someday. Or maybe they will always be small and become to balls what I think True Linkwear is to shoes -- more comfortable, better with balance, and an aid in reading greens. Or as my buddies call them, "Clown shoes."

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

RustyRedCab ...

I play a TopFlight D2 Feel ... & it works for me.

I got tired of playing & paying for Pro V1's.

What finally made me switch was ... going into a bushy area in Arizona looking for my $4 ball.

Pulled a thread on my nice polo shirt. Then got hit with a jumping Cholla ... scared me - thought it

was a tarantula. Then I had to get the Cholla ball off of me. No more looking for balls that go in the bush.

My clubfitter had suggested to try a D2 Feel. TopRock ? No way ... then I found out Callaway

bought out TopFlight a few years back. Thought I would give it a try. $12.95 for 15 balls on sale at Target.

They perform very well. Slightly less spin with a wedge but I can still make the ball dance.

They go offline less than a Pro V1 ... with my long irons (3 iron is my favorite iron).

I lose about 5 yards on my driver. Same distance with my irons & 4 wood. Same distance with my wedges.

I mark my ball with 87c ... the cost of each ball. I play them in tournaments too. I am the only one playing TopFlight.

Try them with an open mind.

Moonlight

THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT...

Originally Posted by moonlight

RustyRedCab ...

I play a TopFlight D2 Feel ... & it works for me.

I got tired of playing & paying for Pro V1's.

What finally made me switch was ... going into a bushy area in Arizona looking for my $4 ball.

Pulled a thread on my nice polo shirt. Then got hit with a jumping Cholla ... scared me - thought it

was a tarantula. Then I had to get the Cholla ball off of me. No more looking for balls that go in the bush.

My clubfitter had suggested to try a D2 Feel. TopRock ? No way ... then I found out Callaway

bought out TopFlight a few years back. Thought I would give it a try. $12.95 for 15 balls on sale at Target.

They perform very well. Slightly less spin with a wedge but I can still make the ball dance.

They go offline less than a Pro V1 ... with my long irons (3 iron is my favorite iron).

I lose about 5 yards on my driver. Same distance with my irons & 4 wood. Same distance with my wedges.

I mark my ball with 87c ... the cost of each ball. I play them in tournaments too. I am the only one playing TopFlight.

Try them with an open mind.

Moonlight

I would LOVE to love something like a Top Flight D2. How do they feel on the greens?

Your earlier posts were confusing, the last one clearly states your perspective.  Though the Mac of golf balls today would likely be the Penta or new Nike 20-XI since Macs aren't cheap.

We all suffer from brand bias, but it's sometimes difficult to be self aware enough to not out-smart yourself.  If after your exercise you find that no other ball performs as well for you as the ProV and you still refuse to play it because you believe it's the "Windows PC" of golf how is that any different than a guy who just plays it because they bought into the hype and hits it no better than a TopFlite?  Your both allowing your brand bias to dictate your selection just in different ways.

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

2. I care about the brands I use.

3. In most things, I lean toward the underdog, the little guy, the off brand.

4. I'd like to find a ball that works great but is not a Titelist ProV. Titleist ProV balls are the Windows based computers of the golf ball world except Titleist ProV don't require you to go back to the first hole and re-tee after every few holes (Get it? Like re-booting.). I want to play the Mac of golf balls. I want to play the underdog with a better product that may just become the largest golf ball manufacturer in the world someday. Or maybe they will always be small and become to balls what I think True Linkwear is to shoes -- more comfortable, better with balance, and an aid in reading greens. Or as my buddies call them, "Clown shoes."

Joe Paradiso

I know the feeling about not wanting to play a certain brand of something.  I bought a tight lies 3 wood on sale from a very reputable brand.  I have never been able to hit a decent shot with it and now it sits in the closet.  I'm planning on buying new irons soon and am not even considering that brand now, simply because of that one club.

On the other hand, when I bought a new driver, the guy at Dick's recommended a TM burner.  I love that club so now I will most likely be buying burner irons, even if they might not be the best for my game.

As for balls, since I hit so good with my new driver, I decided to splurge and bought some Pentas since they were buy two get one free.  I was hitting pretty good with them but still tried other types when I found them.  I discovered that I could do just as good or better with the V1x but couldnt hit V1's nearly as good.  Then I lost one and found a replacement ball in the woods and decided to play that for a while.  Suddenly I was driving 30 yards farther than usual.  It turned out to be a Noodle+ (long and soft).  Once I found out TM now makes them I was sold and that will be my new ball for when I need a long drive.

Brand loyalty is a funny thing.  It doesn't take much to get hooked on or completely turned off on something.

BTW, Rustyredcab, you might want to look at this chart on balls.  It seems to be pretty accurate and you can get some ideas on balls you want to try based on distance, spin and hardness.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pWHJKxodIcC3jWMfscyVlcw

i bought a bunch of logo-overrun proV1s and proV1Xs and that same day i did hit my best round of 77. I do think they are quite possibly the top of the lot....but there are many other alternatives that can be used and do probly 9 out of 10 things that titleist golf balls can do.
I just dont like having to pay 50 bucks for 12 golf balls. If i was ensuring my best outcome every shot, then i wouldnt mind playing them

right now im stuck between bridgestone and wilson staff....also srixon caught my eye with their "soft feel" ...just needs a bit more control and spin around the greens. its just hard when i dont hit my best shot and it ends up in the weeds or the water....i feel like i just lit 4 washingtons with a lighter. waste

Price is a totally different issue than brand bias.  I don't play ProV's because I still lose a few balls when I play and I work hard enough for my money that I'm not going to waste $20 on balls per round when I can use used NXT-Tours at less than $1 a ball and not see much of a difference in performance given my skill level.

Originally Posted by handlez42

i bought a bunch of logo-overrun proV1s and proV1Xs and that same day i did hit my best round of 77. I do think they are quite possibly the top of the lot....but there are many other alternatives that can be used and do probly 9 out of 10 things that titleist golf balls can do.

I just dont like having to pay 50 bucks for 12 golf balls. If i was ensuring my best outcome every shot, then i wouldnt mind playing them

right now im stuck between bridgestone and wilson staff....also srixon caught my eye with their "soft feel" ...just needs a bit more control and spin around the greens. its just hard when i dont hit my best shot and it ends up in the weeds or the water....i feel like i just lit 4 washingtons with a lighter. waste

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Again, even though some people are typing over 1000 characters to state their opinion, or bias, it still leaves the only question that matters unanswered.

Why aren't you playing what best suits your game, regardless of the brand ?

lol This is the only question that matters. You can cut out all of the other text in this entire thread and this is the only question that matters. If you play a ball based on cost and it suits your game, fine. If you play a ball because you feel better mentally, fine. If you play a ball because you want to think people care about your equipment or to "stand out", fine.

At the end of the day, just play the damn ball that benefits you, period. I have never picked up a club, used a ball, put on a glove, or donned some golf shoes that left me thinking "God I hope I don't like these for X reason." Any review that I read that starts off with "I was really hoping that I wouldn't like this, but I did", I stop reading.

That's like walking into Foot Locker and saying "Man these Nikes are the most comfortable shoe that I ever put on. BUT, do you have something that is non-conforming to popularity so that I don't fit in with others?" No matter what you try to do to "not fit in", you're still fitting in with someone who is doing the same thing lol. It's a pointless theory and pointless state of mind in my opinion. Being unique doesn't mean shying away from popular brands.

Now, if you're looking for a cheaper ball and are basing your decision on cost, that is an entirely different standpoint. The easiest way to find something that works for you is to try it. You can search all day on the internet for what works for other people but you will never find anyone that plays golf 100% exactly like you do. You need to physically try things and weed out what doesn't work for you.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Price is a totally different issue than brand bias.  I don't play ProV's because I still lose a few balls when I play and I work hard enough for my money that I'm not going to waste $20 on balls per round when I can use used NXT-Tours at less than $1 a ball and not see much of a difference in performance given my skill level.

* This.

Interesting perspectives from everyone.  With the state of my game a question mark I likely won't use Pro V1 or V1X simply because until I improve some more their cost won't give me benefits equal to their worth.  The $20 Top Flite Gamer V2 has a wedge spin rate over 10K and feels good off both my driver and putter, and doesn't go off line with my irons as much as some other balls that I've tried.  It's what I need now but there's no telling at this time whether or not the Pro V1 line will make it into my bag in the future.  I feel good about playing a ball that gives me both value and performance, whereas my playing partner thinks that those Wilson Maximum Distance $5 dozens are just about the best thing going.  To each his own.

Again, even though some people are typing over 1000 characters to state their opinion, or bias, it still leaves the only question that matters unanswered.

Why aren't you playing what best suits your game, regardless of the brand?

lol This is the only question that matters. You can cut out all of the other text in this entire thread and this is the only question that matters. If you play a ball based on cost and it suits your game, fine. If you play a ball because you feel better mentally, fine. If you play a ball because you want to think people care about your equipment or to "stand out", fine.

At the end of the day, just play the damn ball that benefits you, period. I have never picked up a club, used a ball, put on a glove, or donned some golf shoes that left me thinking "God I hope I don't like these for X reason." Any review that I read that starts off with "I was really hoping that I wouldn't like this, but I did", I stop reading.

That's like walking into Foot Locker and saying "Man these Nikes are the most comfortable shoe that I ever put on. BUT, do you have something that is non-conforming to popularity so that I don't fit in with others?" No matter what you try to do to "not fit in", you're still fitting in with someone who is doing the same thing lol. It's a pointless theory and pointless state of mind in my opinion. Being unique doesn't mean shying away from popular brands.

Now, if you're looking for a cheaper ball and are basing your decision on cost, that is an entirely different standpoint. The easiest way to find something that works for you is to try it. You can search all day on the internet for what works for other people but you will never find anyone that plays golf 100% exactly like you do. You need to physically try things and weed out what doesn't work for you.

It's a good thing everyone isn't as level-headed as you are, or there would be a lot of professional athletes lacking sponsors.

Originally Posted by Kobey

It's a good thing everyone isn't as level-headed as you are, or there would be a lot of professional athletes lacking sponsors.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, or how my view would create a lack of sponsors. For the amateur golfer, they should be playing what best suits their game. For a pro-am golfer, they're obviously already sponsored and do not even need to cross that bridge of "what to play". If they're not sponsored already, they're obviously playing what best suits their game because that is obviously what they would need to do to have their game be at its best.

This is in regards to the avid golfer who is not a professional and is not sponsored - and most likely will not be.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, or how my view would create a lack of sponsors. For the amateur golfer, they should be playing what best suits their game. For a pro-am golfer, they're obviously already sponsored and do not even need to cross that bridge of "what to play". If they're not sponsored already, they're obviously playing what best suits their game because that is obviously what they would need to do to have their game be at its best.

This is in regards to the avid golfer who is not a professional and is not sponsored - and most likely will not be.

What I meant was that most people are swayed by advertisements and such.  How many people do you know that use a certain brand of something just because their favorite player uses it?  If everyone only played what suits their game there would be no need for sponsorships.  I wasn't disagreeing with you, just saying that not everyone has your realistic approach.

Note: This thread is 4354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!