IGNORED

How consistent should your putting be from 10 feet?

wmiller
Note: This thread is 4400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have, years ago when I played in a few USGA events. Shot two sub-par rounds at Rivera CC in LA during a two day qualifier, for example.

Don't know if the nerves would hold up any more though. That was over 20 years ago.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

• 4 months later...

Interesting thread.  I've found doing putting drills inside on the carpet or rug to be inaccurate in my experience.  I recently started taking the game more seriously and was fit for a putter using the SAM system.  I went home and began practicing inside.  It was remarkable how many putts I was hitting directly over a Quarter that I'd placed exactly 8 feet away (Pelz's Golden Eight rule).  I was so curious about my success rate that I experimented by putting extremely nonchalant with one hand and they still hit the target!  This was some putter I thought!  After doing this for a few days I took my practice and new magic flat stick to the course putting green.  Haha, not so much success there.  I thought it was weird that I was rolling it so well in my living room.  I seriously doubt that many amateurs can sink 20 10 footers in a row on an outside green.  Regardless of break.  Something about putting inside lies.  Maybe the carpet/rug has some groove in it or something.

Originally Posted by wmiller

20 putts from 10 feet, how many can I make?

First attempt I missed the 5th putt, for 19 out of 20.

Second attempt I made 20 of 20.

Putting on your carpet is not an indicator of how well you putt. Sorry.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Putting on your carpet is not an indicator of how well you putt. Sorry.

Well, it's at least an indicator of how well you can line up and make square impact.  Two pretty important things in putting.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a little 15 foot matt in my basement that I do the same thing on. The problem is that its a straight putt and that you are doing it over and over, I've made 30 in a row before on this 15 foot straight matt. I even moved back to more like 20 feet and was still able to make the majority of them on the straight putt. Of course break is going to change things a ton.

Really all you are showing is that you have a consistent stroke. No body can go out on a putting green and make 19/20 from 10 feet.

:whistle:

Originally Posted by jshots

I have a little 15 foot matt in my basement that I do the same thing on. The problem is that its a straight putt and that you are doing it over and over, I've made 30 in a row before on this 15 foot straight matt. I even moved back to more like 20 feet and was still able to make the majority of them on the straight putt. Of course break is going to change things a ton.

Really all you are showing is that you have a consistent stroke. No body can go out on a putting green and make 19/20 from 10 feet.

The four variables in putting are alignment, square impact, speed, and read.  If you putt straight 10 footers, you can drill two of those four things.  That's 50% of the putting equation.  It's not the whole thing--you still have to read break and judge speed--but it certainly has value.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by jshots

So I guess to answer the OP.... on a 10 foot straight matt

you should be real ****ing consistent

:whistle:

10-foot putting test I picked up from Mark Broadie at the WSCG :

(Broadie is the guy that invented the "putts gained" stat for the PGA tour.)

putt 10-footers from various spots on a green.

+3 for every putt made

-1 for every miss

-5 for every miss short

-10 for every 3-putt

if you can score zero or positive over the long term, you are at or near the level of the top ten putters in the world.

If you can make 3 out of 10, youre doing pretty good.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

[VIDEO Would agree with that - 3 out of 10 is better than average. I'd take it.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

to the op...you said your original pondering ? was that if you could ascertain if you had a 'reliable stroke'. to be honest...holing 10 footers, or trying to hole any putt for that matter has nothing to do with if you made the putt or not. get on some flat surface on a practice green and set up alignment sticks, laser pointer, chalk line, string, etc...and walk 'into' a putt over and over. hit down the line every time...that'll let you know if your line and your stroke are repeatable. lining up a putt that you already know goes a certain way does nothing for you...your body knows the 'feel' already of where you need it to go...(can't quite explain it but if you've seen a putt go in...your body can react and make a stroke SIMILAR to it, esp if it was only a few seconds ago)

Just my .02.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

The graphs below are from a paper I've posted here before.  These are averages for PGA pros from 2003-2010.  From 10 feet pros make ~40% of putts, and 3 putt pretty rarely, so average the obvious ~1.6 putts from 10 feet.  Indoors on a flat putting matt yeah you should be able to make 90-100% from 10 feet.  But that's on the same perfectly straight putt on a flawless matt over and over.  On the course that's totally unrealistic.  Even on much easier greens than tour players putt on, I'd bet few amateurs make significantly more than 50% of putts from 10 feet.

one_putt_prob.tiff avg_n_putts_by_feet.tiff

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I used to be terrible from ten feet... I'm getting better at it though with a lot of 3/4 mile walks to the practice green at the golf course... If you make 80% of your putts from 10 feet and in you generally will save probably 4 strokes a round... especially if you make 80% from 5-10 feet... inside of 5 feet you should be 95%... so my suggestion is to take it to the practice putting green and see if you can make 10 out of 10 from all sides of the hole with different breaks and such... just because you can make 20/20 on you computer room floor doesn't mean you'll make 20/20 on the golf course... just saying...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Originally Posted by iacas

It's actually from 9 feet > x >= 10 feet. So the average would be from 9'6" or so. :-)

But I think he probably had zero putts from distances both less than 9 feet and greater than 10 feet so where does that leave us? :-P

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Note: This thread is 4400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!