IGNORED

Your Workout Today

iacas

What is the best rep and set numbers for a golf body. I see a lot of 5x5 which I assume is 5 reps 5 sets. I have been doing 10 reps 3 sets.

"Best" depends on the person and what they want to accomplish.

10x3's are fine, I did one the other day with deadlift shrugs, a 5x5 is just a different way to do it and you can go heavier.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What is the best rep and set numbers for a golf body. I see a lot of 5x5 which I assume is 5 reps 5 sets. I have been doing 10 reps 3 sets.

That is a great debate topic in the world of lifting weights. Not for golf, but just what is the best rep and set combination and their apparent effect on muscle growth, and functionality.

I use to know more about this topic, but I haven't read up on that in a long time. So I wont really give an opinion on it. I'll just warn you that you will get a lot of varying opinions on it. I am sure it is a heated topic. It might be something you might have to just log and keep track of over time and see what works for you.

For me, if I want to put on muscle I tend to go low reps, heavier weights. If I want to burn more calories I will do lighter weights, more reps, but a lot of intensity. Its just what I feel comfortable with.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

That is a great debate topic in the world of lifting weights. Not for golf, but just what is the best rep and set combination and their apparent effect on muscle growth, and functionality.  I use to know more about this topic, but I haven't read up on that in a long time. So I wont really give an opinion on it. I'll just warn you that you will get a lot of varying opinions on it. I am sure it is a heated topic. It might be something you might have to just log and keep track of over time and see what works for you.  For me, if I want to put on muscle I tend to go low reps, heavier weights. If I want to burn more calories I will do lighter weights, more reps, but a lot of intensity. Its just what I feel comfortable with.

[quote name="mvmac" url="/t/54241/your-workout-today/900_100#post_1058255"] "Best" depends on the person and what they want to accomplish.   10x3's are fine, I did one the other day with deadlift shrugs, a 5x5 is just a different way to do it and you can go heavier. [/quote] That's what I figured. I'm already really short an stocky so I don't want to put on too much weight. I read that with more reps you'll get smaller more toned muscles rather than big, thick muscles. Also how tired should you be after a set. Should I use enough weight that after im don tere is no way I could do any more or leave enough energy that I don't have to rest for a long time?

That's what I figured. I'm already really short an stocky so I don't want to put on too much weight. I read that with more reps you'll get smaller more toned muscles rather than big, thick muscles. Also how tired should you be after a set. Should I use enough weight that after im don tere is no way I could do any more or leave enough energy that I don't have to rest for a long time?

If you go heavier then it's best to rest until you feel ready. When going lighter with more reps, you should push yourself, get the heart pumping.

Have you seen this article? Might be a good one for you to check out

http://thesandtrap.com/b/throwing_darts/talking_to_bubba_watsons_coach_andrew_fischer_of_fishfit

Mike McLoughlin

That's what I figured. I'm already really short an stocky so I don't want to put on too much weight. I read that with more reps you'll get smaller more toned muscles rather than big, thick muscles. Also how tired should you be after a set. Should I use enough weight that after im don tere is no way I could do any more or leave enough energy that I don't have to rest for a long time?

Interesting article on reps and muscle growth.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/reps-per-set-for-optimal-growth/

I think lighter weights and more reps will be more of a cardio work out than strength gains. At least from what I have read, and with many different theories, but heavier and lower reps tend to promote the fastest muscle growth. In that regard higher reps do what any cardio program will do, burn calories at a higher rate, allowing for faster weight loss. Given there is some muscle activation and fatigue, so you will gain strength. Not a fast rate, but you can keep track of reps and amount of weight and slowly increase it over time.

I would also say, don't fear gaining muscle, it wont hurt your golf game, in most cases it will help. If want to tone down the muscle gain, then just switch up the work out routine.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

The reason I chose 5x5 is because I was starting with almost zero weightlifting experience.  I had lost 30 lbs over 2 years and found myself fit, yet skinny and weak.  I wanted to quickly get stronger, relatively speaking, and the 5x5 program is fantastic for quick gains in strength when starting from a low level.  It is also very simple, and the workouts are quick, around 30 mins each.

----------------------------

Today's workout -

Stronglifts 5x5

Squat - 80 lbs 5x5

Overhead Press - 60 lbs 5x5

Deadlift - 125 lbs 1x5

- Mark

3 sets of 10 dumbell bench press at 80 plb db's

3 sets of 10 incline dumb B bench 70 plb's

3 sets of 10 tricep extensions with a 80 plb DB

8 sets of 30 pushups

3 sets of 10 flat bench with 225

3 sets of 10 decline bench with 235

5 sets of 30 pushups

3 sets of 20 dumbell bench  with 50s

3 sets of 30 pushups

3 sets of 12 with 185 flat bench

and if anybody wants to know how to increase upper body strength ask me and I can defiantly give pointers.

the life of a military/powerlifter/golfer

Driver-:cleve: 588 Custom 9.0   

Woods-:cleve: Launcher 3 and 5 wood 

Irons- :mizuno: JPX 825 4-GW

wedges-:cleve: CG14 60* and and :callaway: x series jaws 56*

putter-:nike: Method Core Drone

100 push ups

50 deadlifts 95lbs

30 pull ups

10 clean and presses

Mike McLoughlin

1 set each, done as a circuit (about 12 minutes):

12 push ups

16 lunges to each leg

30 squats 40 lbs

15 dumbbell bent over rows 25 lbs each arm

15 dumbbell shoulder press 20 lbs each arm

12 dumbbell curls 20 lbs each arm

15 tricep extensions 25 lbs

20 minutes of yoga/stretching

This is a pretty easy workout, I like it that way.

Thursday's workout

Clean 95 then 5 front squats

10 push ups, 3 pull ups  (4 rounds)

Then 50 gke

Deadlift 135, 5 reps.

Bent over rows at 135 for 5 reps

(4rounds)

50gke to finish

Mike McLoughlin

Since my back is still sore, mostly where I injured it. It isn't spread out over the whole lower back area. Just a small isolated area in the lower right back. I think I will stick to some cardio today and some light body weight only exercises. Just to keep range of motion going.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

3x10 clean and press 55 lbs 3x10 standing biceps curl 25 lbs 3x10 barbell shoulder press 55 lbs 3x10 bent over barbell row 65 lbs 3x10 front dumbbell raise 15 lbs each 3x10 one arm dumbbell row 30 lbs 3x10 push press 35 lbs 3x10 tricept curl 20 lbs 3x20 push-ups 3x20 diamond push-ups Push-ups are much harder than I remember

Bench press

Deadlifts

Farmers carry

GKE

Then kettlebell class Sprints Then Countdown style, 10,8,6,4,2

Swings and goblet squats

GKE & Clean and press

Push ups & burpees

Pull Ups and V Ups

Push-ups are much harder than I remember

Yep they can be a bitch at first, just stick with them and they get "easier". When I started to get serious about my fitness a year ago I could barely do one proper push up. Just the other day I did 100 with good form and can do 20 reps in a row.

I try to do at least 10-20 push ups a day and about 10 pull ups a day. We're doing a challenge at my gym coming up, 100 push ups and 100 body weight squats everyday in November

Mike McLoughlin