IGNORED

Allenby and Ogilvy Altercation

michaeljames92
Note: This thread is 4529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Apparently at the Australian PGA championship after party, Allenby approached Ogilvy and asked him to leave after harsh words were said. These guys are just bloody children.

Taken from:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/golf-2011/heated-words-as-presidents-cup-teammates-robert-allenby-and-geoff-ogilvy-tee-off/story-fnaluu3q-1226208538836

A SIMMERING feud between champion golfers Robert Allenby and Geoff Ogilvy boiled over on Sunday night after the Australian PGA Championship, with the pair exchanging angry words.

Witnesses claim an agitated Allenby asked Ogilvy to leave the after-party at the Hyatt Coolum's normally tranquil village to sort out their differences, but Ogilvy declined.

The row came after a tense fortnight for Allenby, who admitted on Thursday he had been hurt by public criticism of his Presidents Cup performance at Royal Melbourne, where he was the only player on either team not to win a point.

Allenby took swipes at his playing partners during that week - Ogilvy, Retief Goosen and Y.E. Yang - for playing shots that "left him in the s---".

Allenby said Ogilvy had "hit me in the tree three times off the tee and I had to chip out three times" in the Saturday foursomes.

"People look and say how disappointing can you be, because you didn't get a point, but when you're relying on someone else as well, it's sometimes not all just you," Allenby said.

Consensus at Coolum was that Allenby had broken etiquette by criticising his teammates, with Yang "disappointed" because he "thought we were good teammates and being in a team environment, there is no one who played bad or good".

Ogilvy stayed silent publicly, but when Allenby surged into PGA contention on Saturday, he tweeted a "Warms the heart to see Robert playing so well this week" message to the world.

It's understood that message prompted Allenby to approach Ogilvy on Sunday night.

Witnesses said at that point Ogilvy responded by chiding him that he should take responsibility for his form rather than blaming others.

There were reports of a smashed glass at the table where the conversation took place, but witnesses said it was not as a result of a physical clash between the pair.

When Ogilvy let the issue pass, witnesses said Allenby stormed away, with many in the village making cutting comments in his direction.

He reportedly stopped in his tracks momentarily before continuing walking.

Allenby, who finished runner-up to Greg Chalmers in the PGA playoff on Sunday afternoon, has returned to the US.

His manager, Tony Bouffler, was confident there would be no lasting ramifications.

"All I know is that they have been good mates and I'm sure will continue to be so in the future," he said.

But former US PGA Tour professional Paul Gow said it was time Allenby bit his lip in pressure situations.

"I think he acts like a five-year-old when he plays golf," Gow said in his weekly Playing Aroundpodcast with Channel 10 commentator Luke Elvy.

"He has to understand he plays golf for a living. He was in a team environment and to throw out those comments was really immature.

"It's probably time for Robert to grow up, let his clubs do the talking because he's a really, really good player. With this attitude, he will probably never win a major."

Allenby and Ogilvy are scheduled to come face to face again at the Australian Masters at Victoria Golf Club from December 15-18.

Allenby also has the 20th anniversary of his Challenge kids' cancer charity day on the Monday before that event.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

Apparently at the Australian PGA championship after party, Allenby approached Ogilvy and asked him to leave after harsh words were said. These guys are just bloody children.

You're being unfair on Ogilvy.

Allenby is the most despised person in Australian golf.

Ogilvy has a right to call him out on being a jerk. Good on him.

Amazing as it seems, Allenby's reputation has sunk further in the last few days.

He even blamed a cameraman for missing his putt in the playoff.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Geoff isn't as bad obviously, but he still should shut his mouth and not lower himself to Robert's childish level. Nobody likes a whinger, and it doesn't make you look any better by calling someone out about it.

52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Until I saw this story yesterday I had no idea Allenby had this reputation.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Allenby needs to go sit in the penalty box for a while.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Originally Posted by Shorty

You're being unfair on Ogilvy.

Allenby is the most despised person in Australian golf.

Ogilvy has a right to call him out on being a jerk. Good on him.

Amazing as it seems, Allenby's reputation has sunk further in the last few days.

He even blamed a cameraman for missing his putt in the playoff.

Ogilvy definitely learned the hard way as a teenager though, when it comes to not acting like a twat.

I can totally understand that Allenby is devastated that he couldn't perform better at the Pres Cup, but perhaps his memory is a little too good if you know what I mean. He was carrying extra pressure, that was perhaps unfairly put upon him by the media, because he was a captains pick because he was playing at basically his home course. Without much form coming into the event, that's a big burden.

As for this incident, what incident?? Hardly seems like an issue to me, and I doubt the two of them will carry a grudge into the next event.

Dude they almost had fistycuffs.

Originally Posted by Lofty Lefty

Ogilvy definitely learned the hard way as a teenager though, when it comes to not acting like a twat.

I can totally understand that Allenby is devastated that he couldn't perform better at the Pres Cup, but perhaps his memory is a little too good if you know what I mean. He was carrying extra pressure, that was perhaps unfairly put upon him by the media, because he was a captains pick because he was playing at basically his home course. Without much form coming into the event, that's a big burden.

As for this incident, what incident?? Hardly seems like an issue to me, and I doubt the two of them will carry a grudge into the next event.

52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

So this is what passes for an altercation in golf, eh?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jamo

So this is what passes for an altercation in golf, eh?

Yeah that's pretty much it

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Note: This thread is 4529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!