IGNORED

BEWARE the heated driving range in winter

walk18
Note: This thread is 4518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have broken two drivers over the last 6 years.  Both were cracked near the weld where face is welded to the driver head.  Both were at the upper part of the face.  I suspect this is a difficult weld to make and in particular if the face is made of Ti.  With the spring effect drivers now have I also believe that the face could eventually "work harden" and fail.  But I think the welding process creates a stress point where the driver will fail, if it fails.

Butch

Originally Posted by B-Con

I still don't get what any of this has to do with heaters. Top Golf has heaters for when it gets cold, and I'm curious if there's a reason not to use it in specific during the cold.

I think the point is that it is still super cold out, your equipment can be super cold, the balls are super cold, but heaters allow one to still hit from these outdoor bays. When I left a bay last week, I touched my iron heads and they were freezing cold. Without heaters, people would not be on the range.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

I think the point is that it is still super cold out, your equipment can be super cold, the balls are super cold, but heaters allow one to still hit from these outdoor bays. When I left a bay last week, I touched my iron heads and they were freezing cold. Without heaters, people would not be on the range.

But how cold is super cold? And at what point does the face of the driver really get brittle? At least the titanium (if there is any) does not care about low temperatures.

I still don't get what any of this has to do with heaters. Top Golf has heaters for when it gets cold, and I'm curious if there's a reason not to use it in specific during the cold.

I think there might be quite a difference between heaters on a golf range where you are from and where we are from.  It's not so much the heaters... it's the fact that where we are from the outside temp is below freezing and there is snow on the ground.

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

I dont think it has anything to do with heaters. It has to do with hitting frozen golf balls and cracking a driver face because it becomes more brittle due to the cold.

[quote name="TitleistWI" url="/t/54651/beware-the-heated-driving-range-in-winter#post_666163"] I dont think it has anything to do with heaters.  It has to do with hitting frozen golf balls and cracking a driver face because it becomes more brittle due to the cold. [/quote] [quote name="rustyredcab" url="/t/54651/beware-the-heated-driving-range-in-winter/18#post_666313"] I think the point is that it is still super cold out, your equipment can be super cold, the balls are super cold, but heaters allow one to still hit from these outdoor bays. When I left a bay last week, I touched my iron heads and they were freezing cold. Without heaters, people would not be on the range. [/quote] OK, makes sense. If it's that cold out I wouldn't be at the range anyway. Our hyper-cold season is too short and inconsistent to try and fight through that. Not that I'm trying to rub it in... ;-)

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

OK, makes sense.

If it's that cold out I wouldn't be at the range anyway. Our hyper-cold season is too short and inconsistent to try and fight through that. Not that I'm trying to rub it in...

Texas has a hyper cold season?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!