IGNORED

Hybrids and furry animal headcovers

rolopolo
Note: This thread is 4517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't play hybrids, but thats partially because I like my long irons and really haven't found a hybrid I liked more. I don't really think it makes anyone unmanly though, despite teasing my brother for using them.

As for furry headcovers, I have no problem with them aside from them being pretty big. But I actually don't see many people using them.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

I have CareBears headcovers on all my ladies-flex woods, as well as covers on all my graphite shaft SGI irons. I even have a cute little cover that goes over the business end of my ball retriever.

And now that I think of it, I did trade in my genitals for my 4-hybrid.

I guess I embody everything that's anti-sandtrapper!

*this post is a work of fiction, any resemblance to actual people, living or dead, is a coincidence.... but that person is a total dweeb.

Since pros use hybrids, we are safe using them without being laughed at or called hackers with cheater clubs.  That seems to be the determining factor for most people as to what is or isn't acceptable for real golfers.

As for head covers, they are a personal statement.  I am using stock covers because I have yet to find a novelty one that I identified with enough to buy.  I'm picky about things like that.  It's the same reason I never got a tattoo, even after 10 years of military service.  Nothing against them, just never found something I wanted on my body for the rest of my life.  I know it isn't exactly the same thing, but people will get first impressions of you on the course by looking at your gear just like they would by looking at your tattoos.

Furry animal headcovers: I don't care if someone has them, but I would never buy them; they cost extra money and I hate bulky headcovers. I walk, so I either stash the headcovers in the bag shortly after start, or don't bring them. They do not provide an advantage in match play by intimidating your opponent.

Hybrids: I have a couple myself, if someone wants to spend triple the amount per stick they can go ahead. I have a 3h, might pick up a 2h as well. With the modern balls, it's too hard to hit 1 and 2 irons, and the 3 and 4 are so strongly lofted these days that they are tough to work with. I stick with the same steel shafts as my iron set, however, and don't go for a super long shaft.

That said, I don't think modern "long" irons (3, 4, 5) are that tough to hit anyway compared to similarly lofted blades; they have the most forgiveness built in on GI sets.

As an aside, not all hybrids are equal; some are iron replacements with a graphite shaft and a wider sole, but others are straight up fairway woods. I don't care if you play a 7or 9 wood, grandpa, but your "4 hybrid" with the 42" shaft is nowhere near an iron.

Also, adjustable hybrids, and to a lesser extent adjustable woods, are a bit much.

Now, the 47" 270 gram drivers, 43* PWs, belly putters, and ball retrievers are another story. Use it if it helps your game, but they usually don't. Sadly the first 2 are tough to avoid these days.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Furry animal headcovers: I don't care if someone has them, but I would never buy them; they cost extra money and I hate bulky headcovers. I walk, so I either stash the headcovers in the bag shortly after start, or don't bring them. They do not provide an advantage in match play by intimidating your opponent.

Hybrids: I have a couple myself, if someone wants to spend triple the amount per stick they can go ahead. I have a 3h, might pick up a 2h as well. With the modern balls, it's too hard to hit 1 and 2 irons, and the 3 and 4 are so strongly lofted these days that they are tough to work with. I stick with the same steel shafts as my iron set, however, and don't go for a super long shaft.

That said, I don't think modern "long" irons (3, 4, 5) are that tough to hit anyway compared to similarly lofted blades; they have the most forgiveness built in on GI sets.

As an aside, not all hybrids are equal; some are iron replacements with a graphite shaft and a wider sole, but others are straight up fairway woods. I don't care if you play a 7or 9 wood, grandpa, but your "4 hybrid" with the 42" shaft is nowhere near an iron.

Also, adjustable hybrids, and to a lesser extent adjustable woods, are a bit much.

Now, the 47" 270 gram drivers, 43* PWs, belly putters, and ball retrievers are another story. Use it if it helps your game, but they usually don't. Sadly the first 2 are tough to avoid these days.

I LOVE my 7 wood! I get some flack for carrying an "LPGA club" - but what the hell, it works!! Better than a hybrid IMHO.......wish Ping made a 9 wood. That'd be awesome!!! :-P

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Nothing wrong with carrying a 7 wood, as long as you call it a 7 wood. I prefer a steel hybrid, but if I wanted my club at that distance to roll out more, I'd consider it. It's just that most of those higher lofted hybrids are more like 13 woods than any iron I've ever seen, plus I sometimes balloon longer and higher lofted clubs, and don't hit them as straight or consistent as others.

I understand Callaway includes a 9 wood in the octane line btw, might be worth checking out. Also, kudos on the 4w/7w combo; that's a better setup than 3w/5w IMO. For one thing, it's more manly than having 4 woods in the set, and gives you more room in the bag for wedges. I'm looking at 3w/2h myself, but I wouldn't miss the 3w if I could find a 4w I liked.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

What I do consider wimpy is a man playing graphite shafts in their irons and they're in their sub-40's. I believe anyone under 40 is strong enough to play steel shafts. JMHO...

I'd expect this @ GolfReview forums.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

The OP makes a valid point.     I play with one guy on occasion who gives me $hit about carrying a hybrid.    I think alot of non-enthusiast players are not up on the modern technology of the game & associate hybrids as lady clubs.    I hit my hybrid past his 3w on a fairly regular basis - this is the only thing that shuts him up about the hybrid (and thats only for a while).     Furry headcovers - thats another story - would take up way too much room in my bag - if you rock a staffbag, go for it !

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

No one was laughing when I hit my 2h from 220 to 12 feet (holding the green) for an eagle putt, or when I hit it 240 off the tee on the tight hole at my course.  Now when I cover it with my giant Tinkerbell headcover, that is a different story.

I remember Hogan came out with a really progressive set that had the really wide sole irons that looked like hybrids years before the word hybrid even came out.  They were a little suspect as even the pw was in the mix.  No real player ever used them as they were super game improvement and probably allowed entry into golf for someone who needed max forgiveness, especially in the turf interaction department.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I might judge someone for using too many smileys while wishing me a "fabulous new year"

ZING!

LOL

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Fantastic feedback from sandtrappers!

I was a little surprised about how people felt about hybrids and girly headcovers.

However, I can appreciate that we are all different, and that times have changed.

Men have become more girly in general which is also evident from today's fashion and habits. Not too far from now in the future i guess we will all look and dress the same, boys and girls

I regularly travel to singapore fro example and there it is already quite hard sometimes to tell the difference between men and women, as they all wear the same clothes and jewellery, continuosly look in the mirror, talk and walk the same way also.

For now i will put these together with clubfitting as the 3 biggest no-no's for real men, here are my top 5:

1) Clubfitting (possibly the biggest BS invented this century)

2) Hybrids

3) Furry animal headcovers

4) Any club with a non functional feature

5) Starbucks

6) Converse sneakers

I wish all sandtrappers a great festive season. I love reading this forum and thanks for this great resource.

Originally Posted by rolopolo

I was a little surprised about how people felt about hybrids and girly headcovers.

However, I can appreciate that we are all different, and that times have changed.

Men have become more girly in general which is also evident from today's fashion and habits. Not too far from now in the future i guess we will all look and dress the same, boys and girls

I regularly travel to singapore fro example and there it is already quite hard sometimes to tell the difference between men and women, as they all wear the same clothes and jewellery, continuosly look in the mirror, talk and walk the same way also.

For now i will put these together with clubfitting as the 3 biggest no-no's for real men, here are my top 5:

1) Clubfitting  (possibly the biggest BS invented this century)

2) Hybrids

5) Starbucks

6) Converse sneakers

I wish all sandtrappers a great festive season. I love reading this forum and thanks for this great resource.

There's no way this post was written by a male or a golfer, let alone a male golfer.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

There's no way this post was written by a male or a golfer, let alone a male golfer.

I had no problem with the part about the clubfitters ... they're the economists of the sporting world imo.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

2) Hybrids

5) Starbucks

6) Converse sneakers

You apparently have issues about your manhood and your opinions, well, they appear to lack knowledge. But that's okay, opinions are like a##holes, everyone has them ... some just smell worse than others ... in your case, a lot worse...

Happy Holidays.

After reading your posts, heck, where is the air freshener?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

2) Hybrids

5) Starbucks

6) Converse sneakers

Yeah who wants to get their clubs fitted?

You have to be kidding me. That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen written on this forum. So a guy who stands 6 foot 8 should be happy with his off the shelf clubs?

Why don't you like hybrids? What is unmanly about them? Do you use a 460CC driver? Why don't you scout Ebay and pick yourself up a nice wooden driver from the 30's if you think you're so manly.

You know what is extremely unmanly?

USING A SHIT TONNE OF SMILIES

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

i find the last post a bit offensive

but i have forgiven you already

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Note: This thread is 4517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!