IGNORED

Smart Phone GPS Now Not Allowed?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As far as the embedded Weather App on the is concerned, it only provides hi/low temps, daily and hourly conditions and a link to Yahoo Weather which provides the same information. Wind and relative humidity is not provided on this app. The Weather Channel App provides same with forecasted relative humidity and wind direction but the operative word here is forecasted. The USGA has overreached here.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by 15thClub

As far as the embedded Weather App on the is concerned, it only provides hi/low temps, daily and hourly conditions and a link to Yahoo Weather which provides the same information. Wind and relative humidity is not provided on this app. The Weather Channel App provides same with forecasted relative humidity and wind direction but the operative word here is forecasted. The USGA has overreached here.

There are plenty of weather apps that tell you more, like WeatherBug, and even "temperature" is illegal IIRC.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ignorant

This Local Rule says nothing more than repeats Appendix IV 5 in slightly different words. There has been no doubt whatsoever if DMD's with non-conforming features are allowed to be used. The real question (and the entire debate) is about whether smartphones with non-conforming apps and without DMD is allowed to be used, and if so, which features are allowed.

The RBs in their joint statement say:

3. Multi-functional devices such as mobile phones, PDAs, etc (i.e., devices that are primarily communication devices, but which may have other potential uses) may be used as follows:

The device may be used for any non-golfing purpose (e.g., as a communication tool to phone, text or email), subject to any club/course regulations and the rules on accessing advice-related matters – see Decision 14-3/16.

You can have a Smart Phone in your bag, you can use it to make phone calls and text.  You can't use a SmartPhone that includes weather apps and/or compass as a DMD or GPS on the course.  I have an iPhone, I can make calls or text on it, but I can't use it as a golf GPS to measure distance.  The rule is pretty clear, whether you agree or not is a different story.

Originally Posted by camper6

Aha but can you clarify please.

Can you have the SmartPhone with you at all in your bag or elsewhere on your person.

In other words is it legal to have a device that is not being used with you if it is non conforming?

I am having a tough time putting this into words.

For instance if you carry a wind vane in your bag and are not using it can you be disqualified for just having it there?

Is it the same story for a Smart Phone?

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

You can have a Smart Phone in your bag, you can use it to make phone calls and text.  You can't use a SmartPhone that includes weather apps and/or compass as a DMD or GPS on the course.  I have an iPhone, I can make calls or text on it, but I can't use it as a golf GPS to measure distance.  The rule is pretty clear, whether you agree or not is a different story.

Thanks for the information.  Much appreciated.

Yep, that's it. Right now, I think the only safe conclusion is that you may not use a smart phone GPS in any context where you are concerned with disqualification.

After this thread and further meditations (ha), I am inclined to think the rule is less than ideal given that smart phone calls are allowed. This doesn't seem consistent.

However, I think it's a minor inconvenience. I think the most logical correction would be to disallow any use of a smart phone with the illegal capabilities, not to try to fine-tune the rule.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Can someone provide a link (or PM me) to a solid GPS, that is legal for tournament use, and does not have an annual fee to receive course updates?  Primarily interested in US use.

Get a laser rangefinder, it's more accurate and works anywhere. You might not get layouts, but you can still get distances.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

Get a laser rangefinder, it's more accurate and works anywhere. You might not get layouts, but you can still get distances.

I have a Bushnell and my hands shake too much. :(  So the readings that I get are inaccurate to say the least.

I'm pretty sure the original Callaway uPro doesn't require an annual fee but you'd have to look for a used or refurbished model.  I used the uPro for the last two years and there wasn't an annual fee but last year they switched platforms and my account was upgraded to an unlimited download account so I didn't have to pay any fees at all.  I received a SkyCaddie SGX for Christmas and they do have annual fees.

Joe Paradiso

I'm pretty sure the original Callaway uPro doesn't require an annual fee but you'd have to look for a used or refurbished model.  I used the uPro for the last two years and there wasn't an annual fee but last year they switched platforms and my account was upgraded to an unlimited download account so I didn't have to pay any fees at all.  I received a SkyCaddie SGX for Christmas and they do have annual fees.

The current uPro still has no annual fees. What's changed is that with the old plan, you paid for each course. With the new plan, you have the option of paying $30 for 25 courses or $60 for unlimited courses. (And that's "pro mode" courses which have enhanced graphics - the basic mode courses are free.)

All standalone golf GPSs are legal, and all rangefinders without slope are legal. Further GPS (or GPS vs rangefinder) questions should probably be asked in a new thread (or do a search) - we're getting a bit off topic here..

Bill

Quote:
So, is it even still possible to use a smartphone golf G PS app under local rule? Most smartphones, such as the iP hone , have default weather apps installed,

Really? How come I didn't know this. LOL I'm new to golf also. That's why.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by jgreen85

everyone is running out and buying gps/lasers (including myself, just bought a laser, used), but, you know, the device manufacturers had no hand in this at all. smh

You've got no proof. Just - apparently - a fondness for conspiracy theories.

Occam's Razor, buddy. The USGA ruled this way because it's consistent with how they view the Rules and consistent with their rules regarding DMDs which include, for one example, slope capability.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Wouldn't it have been much simpler to outlaw all rangefinder devices in the first place?

For me it kind of ruined the game when you could see the yardage to the hole but don't know what club to use anyway.

So what do you use in a tournament when a rangefinder is not allowed?

Seems to me you would lack experience in judging distance.

And no rangefinder in the world is going to sink a putt for you.

Many tournaments do.  As for the pro tours, they can use DMD's on practice days to update their yardage books.

Originally Posted by Rulesman

Don't most tournaments except the pro tours allow DMDs now?

But the genie is now out of the bag.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

I wouldn't say it wouldn't help, but I will say there's no way an app is going to give you any usable information. Weather info is given by zip code or city, which isn't specific enough to possibly be accurate for an area in which a golf shot.of 300 yards or less is made. Local terrain can cause the wind to have a much different speed and direction than the prevailing winds reported by the weather service.

Exactly.

I won't go into my long-winded opinion about this specific matter, but the biggest problem I find with legislative/governing bodies and commission who attempt to legislate rules regarding technology, is that the people on the governing bodies themselves are most often times clueless as to the technology they are dealing with (SOPA, and DRM on handheld devices comes to mind).   I don't know that people realize how impractical these rulings can be.  But this is what happens when the vast majority of the bodies are technophobes to begin with.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 3409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!