IGNORED

Shanks

Note: This thread is 3597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hit the range today and the virus was dormant.

:dance: Glad to hear that it went away. Have to remember the calling it a day advice if they come up again for me.

Kurt

Glad to hear that it went away. Have to remember the calling it a day advice if they come up again for me.

Yeah I think it is usually for the best.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

500 golf balls in 2 days....3 fat shots...the rest were butter.....feels so good.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 1 month later...
Can a shank be caused by wrong alignment too? For instance when your body is aiming too far to the right and is not parallel to the target line. A Pro told me one of the reasons the people make good shots from mats is because they are aligned properly.

For me, I get the shanks with chipping & wedge shots - especially chipping.      What I found helps totally eliminate the shanks is when I take my setup ... step in an inch or so closer to the ball - shanks no more !!

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I found the following: The Importance of Alignment One of the most common problems my students come to me with is poor alignment.. The absence of consistent alignment causes many swing compensations where the player is attempting to make the ball go to the target. If the student is aimed left, they will attempt a swing to make the ball go back to the right and toward the target. The swing faults associated with alignment too far left are weak grip positions, open clubface positions, overly inside out swing paths, and clearing with the body early or coming out of the shot. All of these motions are out of athletic balance and will cause weak fades, slices or push shots not to mention poor contact and distance will be reduced, as it is a weaker hit. The student will be quite possibly one of the shorter hitters in the group. Likewise, if the student is aimed right, they will have just the opposite problems with their swing. The swing faults associated with alignment too far right are closed clubface positions, strong grip positions, outside to in swing paths, and staying on their back foot letting their arms pass their body faster than what is recommended. The product of these out of balance swing faults will be pulled shots, hooked shots, topping the ball or hitting the ground first before the ball, and yes, the dreaded shank . This person is likely to be a long hitter with short to mid irons, but can struggle with long irons, some fairway clubs and Driver.

Note: This thread is 3597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!