IGNORED

Shoes on tour...?

Fender
Note: This thread is 4453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Fender

Tiger and Freddy always dress up nice but these shoes don't match the outfit.

Freddy's do. Look at the belt.

I still don't have a problem with either of the shoes. These guys aren't wearing suits. So who cares if they're wearing shoes that look like sneakers or Freddy's "casual" shoes.

And if those are "skateboarding" shoes then you've got a pretty broad definition of "skateboarding shoes". :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Freddy's do. Look at the belt. I still don't have a problem with either of the shoes. These guys aren't wearing suits. So who cares if they're wearing shoes that look like sneakers or Freddy's "casual" shoes. And if those are "skateboarding" shoes then you've got a pretty broad definition of "skateboarding shoes". :)

You know Freddy Couples. When he's not sinking putts or rooming with Jim Nantz, he's shredding half pipes. I don't see anything wrong with the shoes, and opinions like the OP is part of the reason so many people don't see golf as a sport (when you are literally telling people they can't wear comfortable shoes).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Yukari

You have got to be kidding!  You want to be a fashion police now?  Geez, don't you guys have more important issues to talk about?

Who cares what kind of shoes one wears?  Sounds like Orson Well's 1984.

George Orwell.

Orson Welles was War of the Worlds. But he wore comfy shoes.

• Upvote 2

My guess is that 90% of the golfers out there don't wear golf shoes at all. Probably only about a third on this site wear golf shoes. I base that, of course, on absolutely nothing.

The fact is though, most golfers in the game today don't bother to buy them. They're not part of the dress code in most places, even in courses that require collared shirts and slacks. Why should we fixate on them?

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Quote:

My guess is that 90% of the golfers out there don't wear golf shoes at all. Probably only about a third on this site wear golf shoes. I base that, of course, on absolutely nothing.

Hilarious.  Finally someone on this forum who quotes their sources.

I used to wear nothing but Footjoy Classics, wingtips or saddle.  Then I had a year-long bout with plantar fascitis that nearly crippled me and prevented me from walking the golf course (or even playing in a cart, many days).  I started wearing Olu Kai beach trainers:  mesh uppers, flat-soled shoe with a nubby sole.  This shoe probably is the reason why I can still run and play golf.

I can wear regular shoes now, but when I walk I wear Nike sneaker-style shoes.  I'd rather honor the tradition of the game by walking and carrying my bag than by wearing a six-pound leather-soled torture device.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Quote:

"...opinions like the OP is part of the reason so many people don't see golf as a sport (when you are literally telling people they can't wear comfortable shoes."

Who says traditional looking golf shoes are uncomfortable?  I think they're quite comfortable and better in wet conditions.  These guys are not running on the golf course and they are not jumping (except for Sergio maybe...).  Why does it make any sense to wear athletic type shoes playing golf when a player has to wear slacks and a polo?  traditional oxford looking shoes look way better.

Quote:

Who says traditional looking golf shoes are uncomfortable?  I think they're quite comfortable and better in wet conditions.  These guys are not running on the golf course and they are not jumping (except for Sergio maybe...).  Why does it make any sense to wear athletic type shoes playing golf when a player has to wear slacks and a polo?  traditional oxford looking shoes look way better.

Because, obviously, it's not about looks.

Quote:

Who says traditional looking golf shoes are uncomfortable?

Like, several of the people who posted in this thread.

Kevin

I like to wear street shoes when I play. It's not just a comfort thing though; you know how some players like the look of a blade at address? I like my feet to have a thinner topline. Traditional golf shoes look to me like a chunky iron looks to better players.

My opinion though, as many people agree with, is that if it works for your game and you like how it looks at address, play it; whether it's a club or a shoe. And I don't have a problem with white, either.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

And how did you get control of it?  I've had it for about 1.5 years now and it definitely impedes on my ability to walk any significant distance.  Went to D.C. 6 weeks ago and I was nearly crippled by the first night because of all the walking...

Originally Posted by k-troop

Then I had a year-long bout with plantar fascitis

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

Not really sure why people insist ever kind of shoe is "classy", but a pair of comfortable jeans is trashy. Somewhat hilarious double standard right there, because personally I think a pair of jeans paired with golf cleats looks better than running shoes and dress pants. I'll stick with "traditional" golf shoes. I have a few different types of shoes that are comfortable for walking, including my golf cleats.

Wear what you want to wear as long as they don't damage the greens, and if certain shoes are better for your feet, go for it. But white athletic shoes and dark coloured dress pants just reminds me of the "rebels" who'd wear high tops with their tux at junior prom. No problem with it - just makes me chuckle a bit.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Not really sure why people insist ever kind of shoe is "classy", but a pair of comfortable jeans is trashy. Somewhat hilarious double standard right there, because personally I think a pair of jeans paired with golf cleats looks better than running shoes and dress pants. I'll stick with "traditional" golf shoes. I have a few different types of shoes that are comfortable for walking, including my golf cleats.

Kind of agree.  I am amused that faded shorts or pants and collared shirts will be allowed on a course but my top end denim which costs more than most golf pants/shorts, fits well, and looks nice, is banned.  If shorts are allowed, why not jeans?  I'd rather see jeans than the average person's legs.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

Originally Posted by GJBenn85

And how did you get control of it?  I've had it for about 1.5 years now and it definitely impedes on my ability to walk any significant distance.  Went to D.C. 6 weeks ago and I was nearly crippled by the first night because of all the walking...

Didn't run for over 6 months, which is tough because I'm in the Army.  Threw out all of my flip flops (which I wear constantly); found some (Olu Kai) that were really great for my feet.

Really, the only healer for plantar fascitis is time and stretching.  Find shoes that don't flatten your feet too much, and avoid the activities that really cause pain after.  And when I say avoid them, I mean for like six months to a year.  Eventually, it will correct.  I can pretty much do whatever now, but I still avoid running more than three times in a week, and if my feet hurt after an activity, I take it easy for several days.

Kevin

Originally Posted by k-troop

Quote:

Hilarious.  Finally someone on this forum who quotes their sources.

I used to wear nothing but Footjoy Classics, wingtips or saddle.  Then I had a year-long bout with plantar fascitis that nearly crippled me and prevented me from walking the golf course (or even playing in a cart, many days).  I started wearing Olu Kai beach trainers:  mesh uppers, flat-soled shoe with a nubby sole.  This shoe probably is the reason why I can still run and play golf.

I can wear regular shoes now, but when I walk I wear Nike sneaker-style shoes.  I'd rather honor the tradition of the game by walking and carrying my bag than by wearing a six-pound leather-soled torture device.

I don't have plantar fascitis, but I have really tender feet, I've never been able to go bare foot, not at as kid, not even in the house on carpet.  So, I'm loving all these new shoes, tradition golf shoes kill the bottom of my feet, I bought a pair of the ECCO Street last summer and love them.  Can't wait to try some of the other spikeless shoes.

As for the look, I don't care, I used to have to wear a suit and tie every day to work also, times change, styles change, that's life.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Wear what you want to wear as long as they don't damage the greens, and if certain shoes are better for your feet, go for it. But white athletic shoes and dark coloured dress pants just reminds me of the "rebels" who'd wear high tops with their tux at junior prom. No problem with it - just makes me chuckle a bit.

Exactly, wear what you want as long as the course permits it, but don't expect that everyone has to be on board with it.

I quote the immortal Willie Mays-Hayes from the movie Major League when looking at Rick Vaughn's glasses after someone says seeing is the most important thing "It ain't that important".

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Note: This thread is 4453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!