IGNORED

How good are hybrids, really?

Chipless
Note: This thread is 4443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by LovinItAll

Guy could be playing from the whites and be breaking 90 virtually every time out.

I play blues but have a handicap similar to him. some courses I can go out and crush 90 and shoot like an 82 and the next week shoot a 95. The biggest problem with mid handicappers isnt the ability to play well. I think its more the ability to shoot well consistently. the other day I played 27 holes at the same course. I went 45 on the front 45 on the back, replayed the front and shot a 38. It is such hit and miss.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

I play blues but have a handicap similar to him. some courses I can go out and crush 90 and shoot like an 82 and the next week shoot a 95. The biggest problem with mid handicappers isnt the ability to play well. I think its more the ability to shoot well consistently. the other day I played 27 holes at the same course. I went 45 on the front 45 on the back, replayed the front and shot a 38. It is such hit and miss.

I totally get that....I wasn't saying he is playing from the whites and breaking 90 every time, just that he could be. He might also be playing some tough tracks that are rated 68-ish from the whites, or he could be like you, or he could be like Erik said. With all the talk about teeing it forward (which I think is a great idea), no one needs to be dogged for playing 'easy' courses or tees. It's what makes guys with egos step back to begin with, you know?

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

Exactly my problem. I either find my game on the first hole, or find it on #10.

If I don't start out good, it's a low 90s round. If I start out good, it's mid 80s.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Originally Posted by Doodaddy

Did you ever swing the VR 3H before the VR_S?

I wanted to but I stayed away from it. I figured that was more of a better players hybrid.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

If I don't start out good, it's a low 90s round. If I start out good, it's mid 80s.

I should add that I only play the same course 2-3 times a year. I don't believe in playing the same course as it inflates your handicap.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Personally, I LOVE my hybrids.  A few years back I bought the Adams A3 set because of the hybrids.  I was new to the game and had a really tough time using the bladed 3i and 4i.   The A3 set was on sale at dicks and I had some gift cards so I decided what was the harm in trying.  I had a little trouble adjusting in the first year but since then I have been hitting them much better than I ever noticed with my blades.  For me, the ball just seems to jump off the club face and I have found it to be tremendous in the rough.

If I were questioning whether or not to get a hybrid, I'd probably buy a used club at a golf shop or golf galaxy or craigslist and try it for a bit.  OR go to a demo day and try out all of the various hybrids.  I'm biased towards the Adams brand because each of the different ones that I've hit work for me but everyone has their own opinions.

I should add that I only play the same course 2-3 times a year. I don't believe in playing the same course as it inflates your handicap.

I dont believe in playing the same course too often as it gets boring because the courses I would play the most would be the cheapest and you get what you pay for. If I could afford to play a nice course repeatedly maybe that would change. But starting out on a new course I have never played before is almost always sure to add at least 5 strokes to my score. 390 yard par 4. Ok driver it is. only to find out that there is a hazard at 260.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

\

No it doesnt. Thats why courses have a slope and course rating. I play well over 100 rounds a year at the courses I have membership at and another 30-40 at random clubs. It doesn't inflate my handicap at all. If I go to an easier course, I shoot better, and a harder course, I shoot worse, generally. It doesn't matter if you know every nook and cranny of a golf course, you still have to make the shots.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Quote:

Did you ever swing the VR 3H before the VR_S?

I wanted to but I stayed away from it. I figured that was more of a better players hybrid.

You're probably correct being as I can't hit them for nothing minus about the second swing I ever took with the 3H; it was beautiful.

I ended up with the VR 3H instead of the VR_S due to the fact that I got the VR for $39 new....4H at that price too...

Nike VR-S Covert Driver Project X 6.0 Tour 52

Nike VR-S Fairway Wood 3W Fubuki K Graphite Regular Flex

Nike VR-S Iron Set 3-PW, AW, & SW True Temper Dynalite 90 R-Flex

Nike V-REV 60°/10 Wedge

Odyssey White Ice #1

You're probably correct being as I can't hit them for nothing minus about the second swing I ever took with the 3H; it was beautiful.

I ended up with the VR 3H instead of the VR_S due to the fact that I got the VR for $39 new....4H at that price too...

Yeah thats a steal at those prices!

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Quote:

Can you explain this concept?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Can you explain this concept?

I think he either doesn't know what a handicap is, doesn't know what "inflate" means, doesn't keep score right somehow, or somehow plays better having absolutely no clue what's in front of him.

If your handicap inflates, it means you play worse. High handicap means you suck at golf and you need to essentially remove strokes off your score to make it resemble par.

Most players frequent a course or two and learn the nuances. It's ridiculous to expect someone to play a different course every time, and if you call someone a sandbagger for playing their home course you're liable to confuse a few people. I could see how playing different courses and adapting should reflect one's skill in some way, but to be honest the handicap system fully expects you to use a caddy and yardage book. Experience on a course is not considered and you're expected to take advantage of it. If you don't, you're making the game tougher for no reason.

You're more of a sandbagger if you don't bother to get the accurate yardage or read the greens and therefore give up strokes to make it more of a challenge. Vanity handicapping (reporting lower scores than you actually shot) isn't really cheating because it does no harm to anyone else. It's retarded though, because you'll be put up against better players with no strokes given to you and you'll never win a match.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Let me know how that goes when you play a course for the first time with a blind tee shot.

That's exactly my point. If you play a hole like that, or one with a tricky green or a hidden bunker, surely you'll score better after a round or two at that course than going in blind? Even if your ability is the same, you'll make more mistakes because you don't have course knowledge, therefore probably making you score much lower with experience. How does scoring lower each round because of course knowledge inflate your handicap, while switching courses every week apparently does not?

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

That's exactly my point. If you play a hole like that, or one with a tricky green or a hidden bunker, surely you'll score better after a round or two at that course than going in blind? Even if your ability is the same, you'll make more mistakes because you don't have course knowledge, therefore probably making you score much lower with experience. How does scoring lower each round because of course knowledge inflate your handicap, while switching courses every week apparently does not?

This is exactly what I have been trying to say.

Sorry, deflate your handicap.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

My problem as well, well except for the numbers.  I've gone out and shot low 90s.  Then I'll go and shoot low 100s.  Then I'll go and shoot 110s.  I need to work on my consistency, because I believe I have the ability to shoot low 90s.

Driver -- TM Burner 2.0 9.5º

FWs -- TM Burner 2.0 15º / 18º

Hybrids -- TM Raylor 19º and 22º

Irons -- TM Burner Plus (4i - PW, AW, SW), TM Burner 1.0 LW

Putter -- Scotty Cameron Mallet Phantom 2

Bag -- TM Stratus 3.0

Ball -- Top Flight Gamer V2, Titleist DT Solo

My main problem is consistency with long irons and golf in general. Some days I can play bogey golf (within a stroke at least) and others I absolutely destroy the game and should probably be banned from the course because I'm a disgrace to the game.

I play a 4 and 5 hybrid because I flat out can't hit those irons 9 out of 10 times. I won't always get the exact shot I want with the hybrid clubs but I can advance the ball far enough to get to the green with a wedge and save a little pride.

910 D2 10.5  910F 3w  910H 19*

712 AP1 4-GW  Vokey SM4 54* and 58*

Select Golo  E5

I loved my 3h when i bought it. it easily became the best club in the bag outside of the wedges early on, but anymore its just garbage. i can hit my irons straight draw fade hook or slice whenever i want, and it seems all i can do with the hybrid is hit it dead straight or hook it. theres little control with it. but i keep it cuz i really enjoy stepping up after my buddies all hit their driver and i put a hybrid 15 yards past them.

Note: This thread is 4443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!