IGNORED

2012 Accenture Match Play Discussion Thread

brocks
Note: This thread is 4456 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The way is usually works is Brock starts a topic and talks about Tiger Woods.

Yes, I talk about my favorite player more often than not. You are welcome to talk about yours, instead of grumbling about what other posters do.

• Administrator

All I can say is that if I'm winning, y'all suck because my final matchup was Tiger vs. Luke and we all know that ain't happenin'.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Now you're just lying.  My earlier post is below, if your memory is faulty.  It clearly states that Tiger used to be able to "close" when he was in contention, but now he can't.  The emphasis wasn't changed.  It was this post to which you responded that I don't watch enough golf.

And, please tell me all the PGA Tour events prior to August 2009 when Tiger was within a stroke of the lead at any point in the final round, or playing in the last group, and lost.  You can PM me if you don't want to continue this on the public pages.

Originally Posted by brocks

Your earlier post implied that the Tiger of old never made a mistake when in contention, and that was flat wrong. Now you've changed your emphasis to Tiger playing poorly over the last couple of years. That is correct, and congratulations on being the first to notice it.

My "earlier post":

Originally Posted by k-troop

No offense intended here, but yours is the view of a Tiger apologist.  The fact is that neither Rory nor Luke have ever had such a commanding lead in OWGR that they could take an entire year off and still be #1 in OWGR.  "Tiger" would not have let a match against a guy who was totally struggling go to the 17th hole, much less miss a 10-footer to close out the match.  "Tiger" would not have then dumped his approach on 18 into the worst possible spot in a short-sided bunker with a short-iron from a great angle in the fairway.

The current tiger has his game back.  The old "Tiger", when he was off, would hit wild tee shots and then find a way to get it done from wherever he found himself (usually by hitting an unbelievable iron shot or making a 30-footer).  This tiger missed a makeable match-winning putt, then got extremely lucky that his bunker shot didn't roll back into the divot from where it came.

"Tiger" has been replaced by a dude named Tiger Woods--a good golfer, who routinely finds himself in contention, but can't seem to close.  He might as well be Spencer Levin.  That, my friend, has nothing to do with his swing changes or ability.  That has everything to do with his ability to simply will his way to a win, which he previously had a monopoly on.

"Tiger" may return, but tiger is what we have now.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas 

All I can say is that if I'm winning, y'all suck because my final matchup was Tiger vs. Luke and we all know that ain't happenin'.

I already confessed that I suck at my picks but the points on each player left will increase. Go McIlroy!

I really don't want to continue the Tiger talk but I was at the course today and didn't see all the coverage. What putter was he using today? Nike or his old Scotty?

David

Now you're just lying... You can PM me if you don't want to continue this on the public pages.

Since you choose to characterize a legitimate difference of opinion as deliberate lying, I don't want to continue this anywhere. Have a nice day.

Originally Posted by jhwmusic

ITs not looking too good...jabbing at it a bit.

If I am speaking of the same putt, both he and Tiger both thought that putt was going to move a little left. Tiger didn't really go to school on Nick's putt...they both missed it a few inches right.

Tiger was sleeping at his desk

Tiger90

Tiger was sleeping at his desk

He was probably too busy planning his celebration....deciding whether or not he was gonna fist pump with the right, fist pump with left, both or just flat out "raise the roof" like he did when he hit that hole in one on 16 at Scotsdale. :-D

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Originally Posted by walk18

Joe can't read putts? Why would Tiger hire a caddy that can't read putts?

or give a correct yardage...twice today he had the wrong yardage.  the par 3 where he was short in the bunker, and the 226 yd cut 7....i know tiger has a shit load of reserved power, but come on, joe's gotta say something there

Tiger90

He's not an idiot. He knows it. Everybody knows it.

But, right or wrong, Tiger's mission now is to win majors. He told everybody after the Chevron that he was going to take a couple weeks off, and then start building for the Masters. And that's what he's doing.

So the events he's playing now are just preparation for the Masters. Sure, he wants to win them, but his practice sessions are tailored around everything coming together in April, not February. So up to now, he's mostly been working on his driving, and it shows. He'll probably start shifting his priority to putting around the middle of March.

All Tiger has ever primarily wanted to win was majrs.  But if you are saying he doesnt really are about winning any other tournament he plays in, you are on a differnet planet.  Tiger wants to win more than anybody no matter what tournament it is.  If he doens't want to win he doesn't play...but the one's he plays in, i can guarentee all he wants to do is win more than anything.

And why would he not focus on putting now as apposed to march.  I doubt hes thinking that.  He is working on what he believes he needs to work on to win.  He's not saying, all i care about is the masters and im gonna not practice my putting now because i dont need win now...that is absurd.

He doesnt go into a tournament to work on his driving or ball striking...he goes to win.  If he believed putting is an issue (which i think everybody but him thinks it is) then he would be working on his putting.  But hes not postponing going to the putting green beacsue its not the masters right now.

Not to mention, to win at the masters, sure you have to put, but you mostly need to be amazing with your irons.  There are litteraly a couple square feet where you can land your ball at augusta to get close to the pin, if you miss that square by an inch your 30 ft away.  So if anything he will be working more on his ball striking and iron play.

This guy brocks is a retard.  He thinks tiger is in the middle of his swing changes.  HES BEING DOING IT FOR 2 YEARS!  how long is it gonna take?  And yes his iron play was amazing and was one of the best on tour.  BUT what seperated him was sinkning putts when it matterd.  He never lost on sunday becasue he sank those putts.  Now he does not do that.  He is not he same guy.  I love Tiger more than anything, and all i want is for him to come back...but i dont think he will.  Its been to much of this bullshit.  He will win another major, sure.  but he will not be Tiger Woods again, and sink those 25 ft's when all the money is on the line......let alone a 6 ft putt

Tiger90

Originally Posted by k-troop

Now you're just lying.  My earlier post is below, if your memory is faulty.  It clearly states that Tiger used to be able to "close" when he was in contention, but now he can't.  The emphasis wasn't changed.  It was this post to which you responded that I don't watch enough golf.

And, please tell me all the PGA Tour events prior to August 2009 when Tiger was within a stroke of the lead at any point in the final round, or playing in the last group, and lost.  You can PM me if you don't want to continue this on the public pages.

My "earlier post":

Yes! Tiger won 90% of the time when he had the lead after 54 holes....who is this brock kid and how long as he been watching golf? lol

Tiger90

now im not involved in this tournament y'all are having with the brackets but i wouldnt be anywhere near winning, i had a 7-fold accumulator bet today and only got DJ and Watney right, which meant i got 5 wrong, its hard to pick

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Yes, I talk about my favorite player more often than not. You are welcome to talk about yours, instead of grumbling about what other posters do.

Touche. Some of my favourite players best years are decades behind them so I get why you're hanging on to your fond memories.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by iacas 

My bracket is also totally busted. I had Tiger vs. Scott for the final. Oh well.

I think when a person makes nonsensical claims regarding Tiger Woods and then calls other people "apologists" for arguing against them, it's pretty much fair game.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Quote:

I think when a person makes nonsensical claims regarding Tiger Woods and then calls other people "apologists" for arguing against them, it's pretty much fair game.

Brandon

If that's a reference to something in one of those 1/2 page snoozefests, I'll have to take your word for it.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

All Tiger has ever primarily wanted to win was majrs.  But if you are saying he doesnt really are about winning any other tournament he plays in, you are on a differnet planet.  Tiger wants to win more than anybody no matter what tournament it is.  If he doens't want to win he doesn't play...but the one's he plays in, i can guarentee all he wants to do is win more than anything.

And why would he not focus on putting now as apposed to march.  I doubt hes thinking that.  He is working on what he believes he needs to work on to win.  He's not saying, all i care about is the masters and im gonna not practice my putting now because i dont need win now...that is absurd.

He doesnt go into a tournament to work on his driving or ball striking...he goes to win.  If he believed putting is an issue (which i think everybody but him thinks it is) then he would be working on his putting.  But hes not postponing going to the putting green beacsue its not the masters right now.

Not to mention, to win at the masters, sure you have to put, but you mostly need to be amazing with your irons.  There are litteraly a couple square feet where you can land your ball at augusta to get close to the pin, if you miss that square by an inch your 30 ft away.  So if anything he will be working more on his ball striking and iron play.

This guy brocks is a retard.  He thinks tiger is in the middle of his swing changes.  HES BEING DOING IT FOR 2 YEARS!  how long is it gonna take?  And yes his iron play was amazing and was one of the best on tour.  BUT what seperated him was sinkning putts when it matterd.  He never lost on sunday becasue he sank those putts.  Now he does not do that.  He is not he same guy.  I love Tiger more than anything, and all i want is for him to come back...but i dont think he will.  Its been to much of this bullshit.  He will win another major, sure.  but he will not be Tiger Woods again, and sink those 25 ft's when all the money is on the line......let alone a 6 ft putt

Easy there Tiger...ha ha! First off, no need to be calling people retards...makes you sound like a fool. Most of us are adults...including Brocks. Show a little respect...and that includes being sensitive to those who you may offend. To some people that word is just as hurtful as making a racial slur. Most that has been written/reported about Tiger and his latest swing change states that he has been spending a large majority of his time on the new swing...which is causing his putter to suffer. But his swing is looking better, so I'm sure he is now starting to concentrate on the short game to get ready for the masters. That is what he has always done. Yes, he wants to win every tournament, but everyone knows that most of the regular season is a practice round for the majors. And he has even said it himself many times. Yes, he is always there to win. But in this stage in his career, its majors majors majors. I don't think he would play in more than 10 tournaments a year if he had a choice. He would play the 4 majors, Memorial, Tour Championship, the players and maybe one or two over seas and thats it. And if you didn't know, Folley also has adopting a new putting and chipping philosophy as well...but it isn't reported on as much as his full swing changes. That doesn't mean he isn't practicing putting but it definitely isn't getting his full attention that it would normally So what Brocks is saying isn't too far off. Tiger is in fact in the middle of a swing change. And he was hurt, going through serious personal issues, changing caddies and so on and on, so he has had a few things on his mind. That being said, I don't think he has been spending every waking moment over the last two years working on this new swing...which is dramatically different than that ugly Hank Haney move he was making. So to ask "How Long is it gonna take?" makes you sound just as stupid as people like Skip Bayliss. And if you listened to him today in his post match interview he said "fixing the putting stroke is much easier than the full swing because it is a smaller motion" Do you notice all the little drills he does between every shot? ie. the exaggerated swinging of the arms to the left to avoid the "Haney Hooks." Did he do that in the past? NO! Because he was confident in his swing. So give the guy a break...I'm pretty sure he knows what he is doing. And this "I don't think he's ever gonna be the Tiger he once was" debate is rubbish and a waste of time. Because of course he isn't...just like Michael Jordan slowly stopped throwing down dunks as much and developed a jump shot and a post game. Tiger's game is gonna change! Its just how it goes. He may not score 30+ every game but he will still be better than most. He's not a superhero!!!!...he's human just like everyone else. For someone who claims to be .07 handicap, I would think you would understand this. Its gonna happen to you too! And "I love Tiger more than anything" ??? Really? More than anything? Sounds like someone needs to log off thesandtrap.com and try match.com. Ha ha! just playing with you!

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Note: This thread is 4456 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!