IGNORED

What makes your favorite tour player your favorite: wins, personality, potential, character?

Old1964
Note: This thread is 4446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Race.  i like tiger because he's black.

Easy...African American.... isn't he only like a quarter black, I mean African American? I love that Dave chapelle joke about Dave and his Asian wife always fighting about which half of tiger woods is hitting the ball so good. It's in the racial draft episode of the chapelle show. So funny!

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

I like golfers (and sportsmen in general) who have something "extra". And I just have to like them when they are on television, mostly the sportsmen I like the most are rather quiet and somewhat introverted. And most of all, I don't care for their personal lifes because I will probably never meet them.

Golf: Tiger Woods, YE Yang, Martin Kaymer

Other sports: Carlo Janka (skier, world champion and olympic champion), Roger Federer, Kenenisa Bekele (long distance runner) and a few other relatively unknown swiss sportsmen

Always liked Tiger mostly because I appreciate any type of greatness in any sport (Michael Jordan, Joe Montana, Roger Federer, etc.) Jason Day cause he's got Filipino blood (I'm full Filipino). Yani Tseng cause my wife is Taiwanese so I root for her. Rory cause I like watching his golf swing.

Not really a fan of Phil because since I got into golf, I couldn't stand to hear him speak because he sounds like a walking billboard. A lot of slow players I can't stand to watch - Keegan Bradley and Ben Crane come to mind. Sergio because he blames the world and not himself for losing a tournament.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Phil: He's a lefty! Plus his hinge and hold videos have worked wonders on my chipping game

Els: The smoothest swing in all of golf, great to watch.

Darren Clarke: His story is just incredible.

In my  taylormade.gif Stratus Stand bag

Driver:  taylormade.gif 10.5* 2009 Burner

3 Wood: taylormade.gif 2008 Burner

3 Hybrid: taylormade.gif 2008 Burner

Ironstaylormade.gif  Burner 1.0 4-AW

Wedge: Cleveland CG15  56*

Putter:  taylormade.gif Rossa Monza Spider Vicino

Ball Callaway HX Diablo Tour

Phil has been my favorite since I started following golf as a teenager about ten years ago. It was mostly because of the lefty thing but also due to the underdog factor (if you could even call it that) in that he hadn't broken through at the majors yet. I'm also a fan of Freddie (the George Clooney of golf) and Martin Kaymer (extremely well-spoken). And guys like Stricker, Paddy, Nick Watney, and Luke Donald seem like good dudes.

Here are the guys I dislike, some for pretty arbitrary reasons:

Lee Westwood - A lot of talk, not much walk. He comes across as bitter when he talks about Rory.

Hunter Mahan - Just seems like a d-bag.

Bill Haas - Dresses like he's 45 years old. He could go skydiving and use his shirt as a parachute. And don't even get me started on the pleats.

Keegan Bradley - Get a move on, Mr. Molasses. He was painful to watch at the Northern Trust Open.

Bubba - Ugly swing, says stupid things, buttons his top button.

Fredrik Jacobson - Don't like his Chairman Mao hat.

Rickie Fowler - Dresses like he's 12 years old.

AK - See Mahan, Hunter.

Originally Posted by Long Ball Larry

Phil has been my favorite since I started following golf as a teenager about ten years ago. It was mostly because of the lefty thing but also due to the underdog factor (if you could even call it that) in that he hadn't broken through at the majors yet. I'm also a fan of Freddie (the George Clooney of golf) and Martin Kaymer (extremely well-spoken). And guys like Stricker, Paddy, Nick Watney, and Luke Donald seem like good dudes.

Here are the guys I dislike, some for pretty arbitrary reasons:

Lee Westwood - A lot of talk, not much walk. He comes across as bitter when he talks about Rory.

Hunter Mahan - Just seems like a d-bag.

Bill Haas - Dresses like he's 45 years old. He could go skydiving and use his shirt as a parachute. And don't even get me started on the pleats.

Keegan Bradley - Get a move on, Mr. Molasses. He was painful to watch at the Northern Trust Open.

Bubba - Ugly swing, says stupid things, buttons his top button.

Fredrik Jacobson - Don't like his Chairman Mao hat.

Rickie Fowler - Dresses like he's 12 years old.

AK - See Mahan, Hunter.

Ha ha ha!   Couldn't have said it better myself...disagree with a couple but still very good stuff

Dislikes first:

Westwood : Smug sob...his jealousy will always keep him down.  If he does win a major, he will probably thank himself.

Hunter Mahan : I have already spoke a little about Hunter and people got fired up.  But here I go again.  You can tell Hunter was a huge tool growing up so he grew an ugly beard threw on a flat brim, bought himself a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader...who will eventually divorce him and take all his money and hats...And now he thinks he's all cool because the "popular kids" invited him to their party.  Too bad the so called "popular kids" are Fowler, Watson , and some bald idiot Ben Crane who should spend less time making youtube videos that only the other three jackoffs would think were funny and work on speed up his routine.

Fredrick Jacobson : I don't mind him...even with his hats.  He seems like he might be a god time in the bars.  Those Swedes get crazy!

AK: I used to love AK until one day at Cog Hill.  I had an inside the ropes pass for the first round a few years back and he strolls in about 20 minutes before his tee time looking like he got run over by the jager bomb truck.  He didn't even put his golf shoes on until he was walking to the first tee.  Looked like he was gonna puke at any minute...and he didn't have the flew.  You are playing for millions, grow up.  I like to get after it too, but I am not playing for a million dollars the next morning.

Freddie is the man!  Definitely the Clooney of golf.   I used to try to swing like him, walk like him and everything.  I even hit those crappy lynx clubs he used to play...Boom Boom!  If he is in the field at a tournament that I am attending, I at least follow him for a few holes.  Even if he is sucking it up.  It's in the hole freddie!

Phil is a total tool but I still route for him.  I don't know if it is because of his aggressive play, or knowing he was the only one who had the skills to step up to Tiger at the time, or because I just plain felt bad for him for all the bonehead moves.  Regardless, he is exciting to watch.

Stricker, Paddy and Watney :  You don't even need to say anything about those guys.  Just good guys.  And Paddy likes his Guiness and Jameson so we would get along just fine

Luke Donald :  Gonna have to disagree...I think he has a stick up his ass.  Seems nice on camera but definitely likes the smell of his own farts...Like in that episode of South Park.  Just seems a little uppity...but I may be wrong.  He's lives in Chicago so I want to like him, but he just seems like you would be one of those guys that constantly has to tell how much he knows about whatever that topic may be...wine, art, hair gel and so on.

Good list though!

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

I first had to say Sergio, but that was in the early stages i remember his tree shot against tiger. After that it all went down with him, losing his temper and all. For me he now is more a dislike.

For now i should say Rory McIlroy, Martin Kaymer and Joost Luiten.

Why?

Rory he's just a down to earth guy and the way he got his self together last year after losing the Masters is just great. Looking at his swing there is just so much balance! i just enjoy looking at his swing.

As for Martin think he is the most consistent player out there. Not really great on any part off the game but just solid.

Joost he is just a great golfer, no way near a perfect swing but attacking all the time, at the challenge tour he won twice by last round scores off 64 and 62. And finally get a win on European tour last year. His last amateur match was the world matchplay for countries, he played his last 4 holes in 5 under leading the Netherlands to a win. We will hear from him this year. I think he will play rydercup for Europe.

My dislike's:

Bubba he's just a mouthful off shit. With a shit swing

Ian Poulter. he better go for his clothing line and give up golf. Can't hear him speak

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Sergio Garcia he was just electric when he came on the scene. I was there when he won his first tour title at the Irish Open. Others would be Harrington, and Dustin Johnson what a cool dude. Freddie Couples will always be one of my favourites. Dislikes: Ben Crane: ooo look at me I'm funny but your incredibly slow player. It's a disgrace actually. Bubba Watson: Big time Charlie wouldn't share a car with another player at a European tour event he wanted his own car. That put me off him. Zach Johnson: just never took to the guy something about him I don't like. Scott Hoch: never liked him at all. He looks a horrible person

I,d hafta say Hunter Mahan,Matt Kuchar,Tiger and Rory Mcillroy.I really do not like Sergio,Monty and sumthin about Phill I dislike.I hope his wife is ok but him Blaaah.

WITB:

Taylormade R11 Driver

Taylormade RBZ 3 Wood

Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy #3 Hybrid

Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy #4 Hybrid

Taylormade Tour Preferred CB 5-PW

Cally Jaws X Series Wedges 50,54,58*

Ping I Series Putter 34"

Taylormade Penta Ball and TP Black LDP

Rain Gear and a bunch of other crap

Tom Watson has always been my favorite golfer. He is a quality person who always seems to do the right thing and is highly principled. Not to mention his grace and class and of course his phenomenal golf game. I love that he's a huge fan of links golf.

On the present PGA tour I'd say Phil Mickelson. He's fun to watch, a nice guy, very talented and even though it bites him frequently, his go for broke style is to be admired.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From what I am reading - what matters in determining whether or not you like a tour player:

1) Personality as perceived through interviews and such

2) The ability to swing smooth, play well, and not speak or act like jerks

3) How they dress: colors, shoes, fit of clothing

4) And, my favorite, "he seems to be the kind of guy that I would enjoy having in my foursome"

Am I missing anything else?

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Easy...African American.... isn't he only like a quarter black, I mean African American? I love that Dave chapelle joke about Dave and his Asian wife always fighting about which half of tiger woods is hitting the ball so good. It's in the racial draft episode of the chapelle show. So funny!

Classic episode!

Colin P.

Tom Watson has always been my favorite golfer. He is a quality person who always seems to do the right thing and is highly principled. Not to mention his grace and class and of course his phenomenal golf game. I love that he's a huge fan of links golf. On the present PGA tour I'd say Phil Mickelson. He's fun to watch, a nice guy, very talented and even though it bites him frequently, his go for broke style is to be admired.

Actually to me Watson has always seemed like a holier than thou prick. Like his shit don't stink.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSchott

Tom Watson has always been my favorite golfer. He is a quality person who always seems to do the right thing and is highly principled. Not to mention his grace and class and of course his phenomenal golf game. I love that he's a huge fan of links golf.

On the present PGA tour I'd say Phil Mickelson. He's fun to watch, a nice guy, very talented and even though it bites him frequently, his go for broke style is to be admired.

Actually to me Watson has always seemed like a . . .

There are lot of players (and Sandtrap posters) like that. Watson just happens to have enough credibility and consistency that people listen. I haven't heard him spout off about belly putters though. I'd be curious to hear his thoughts. I'm enough of a Watson fanboy that I might even be swayed to consider the possibility of a ban neither reactionary nor spiteful.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

i think personality has a lot to do with it for me.  my faves on the tour are dustin johnson, steve stricker, luke donald and fred couples, and all of those guys seem to be calm, collected, and pretty laid back.

Originally Posted by sixdoubleo

The ones I dislike most are the sub-average forum dwellers who dare to have some type of opinion on men who have actually gone out and accomplished something with their lives.  ;)

Hey, I've been called a lot of things, but never a sub-average forum dweller. Myself and my distinguished peers lurk on quite a respectable forum indeed. If sub average refers to my game, accomplishments, and general value as a human being, I can't disagree. But my forum dwelling is far from sub-average.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Interesting question! There's no one formula for me, I don't think. I have a lotta different reasons why I like or don't like guys.

Rickie is by far one of my favorites because he's good, confident but not cocky, and most of all because he races motocross. I race too, and mx/sx was my first love in life, so it's cool to see a guy who shares my exact same interests, only he's a helluva lot better at golf than I'll ever dream of being.

Fred Couples - His swing and personality are cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Geoff Ogilvy - Just seems like a chill, layed back aussie who I'd wanna hang out and play golf with.

One guy I don't like for any good reason is Lee Westwood. He just looks like a dumb meat head Britt with a gap in his teeth and a kind of burly man type swing. I like him more lately, but still can't really root for him.

Note: This thread is 4446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!