IGNORED

2012 WGC Cadillac - TPC Blue Monster at Doral Discussion Thread

TourSpoon
Note: This thread is 4431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by k-troop

Tiger is a crybaby.  He could have avoided reporters because he was racing to the clinic.  Or, maybe he'll be getting it checked out "sometime early next week."  The most talked about knees and ankles in the history of golf, a game which has given him a billion dollars, and he slinks away in his car without a peep.  If you withdraw in the middle of a tournament, you at least have the courtesy to say something unless you're going straight to the hospital.

Just like at the Players last year, he wouldn't have withdrawn if he was still in contention.  I'm not saying he's faking it.  I know that he's ended up taking a lot of time off after his last two injuries.  But you don't quit in the middle of a round--my dad taught me that when I was 12.  I guess Tiger's dad just taught him to be a control freak and a sore loser.

If he was that paranoid about a tight achilles turning into a season ending injury, he should have walked from the range to the press tent this morning.  But no--he thought he might be able to win, so he teed it up.  And yes, he does owe it to the Tour, the sponsors, and the fans, because he has a billion dollars thanks to the Tour, sponsors, and fans.

All I can say to that is, 2008 U.S. Open.

He did say something. He said leg injury. What more do you want?

If I'm understanding you, he should have, first off, not WD'd but kept playing...hurt. But since he did WD, what - he should have stood around & chatted with reporters to be sure everyone got their stories before going to get it looked at?

Look, I know you don't like the guy, and you're basing his decision today to WD & get the hell out of dodge as a continuation of some kind of selfish pattern...I guess. But that's just speculation. You (and I) don't know the extent of the injury.

And that's the bottom line. He injured himself. In the same area that cost him dearly before. I cannot & will not fault him for being cautious. But apparently you will.

Tiger's dilemma: his achilles tendon, which has been injured and reinjured, is acting up again. Should he gut out the rest of the round and maybe lose another season, or should he stop aggravating it, get some ice on it, call his doctor, and see what he says? On the one hand is the possible loss of millions in prize money, tens of millions in endorsements, and a chance to break the last two records in golf he hasn't already broken. On the other hand is the raised eyebrow of k-troop's dad. We should all get on our knees and pray we never have to make a choice like that.
  • Upvote 4

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Look, I know you don't like the guy, and you're basing his decision today to WD & get the hell out of dodge as a continuation of some kind of selfish pattern...I guess. But that's just speculation. You (and I) don't know the extent of the injury.

And that's the bottom line. He injured himself. In the same area that cost him dearly before. I cannot & will not fault him for being cautious. But apparently you will.

If he was going to be overly cautious, he should have quit on the range when he first started feeling the pain.  He didn't.  He quit only when it was apparent he couldn't win.  And his injury is so serious that he'll be getting it checked out "sometime early next week."  Not right now.  Not straight from the WD to the hospital.

I don't hate Tiger.  I love watching him destroy fields and courses--who doesn't?  But he's lost his honor, IMO.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger is a crybaby.  He could have avoided reporters because he was racing to the clinic.  Or, maybe he'll be getting it checked out "sometime early next week."  The most talked about knees and ankles in the history of golf, a game which has given him a billion dollars, and he slinks away in his car without a peep.  If you withdraw in the middle of a tournament, you at least have the courtesy to say something unless you're going straight to the hospital.

Just like at the Players last year, he wouldn't have withdrawn if he was still in contention.  I'm not saying he's faking it.  I know that he's ended up taking a lot of time off after his last two injuries.  But you don't quit in the middle of a round--my dad taught me that when I was 12.  I guess Tiger's dad just taught him to be a control freak and a sore loser.

If he was that paranoid about a tight achilles turning into a season ending injury, he should have walked from the range to the press tent this morning.  But no--he thought he might be able to win, so he teed it up.  And yes, he does owe it to the Tour, the sponsors, and the fans, because he has a billion dollars thanks to the Tour, sponsors, and fans.

I agree with most of what you are saying but the tour and sponsors have BILLIONS (plural) as a result of Tiger Woods. Ya know? He doesn't owe many people much...other than those that have stuck by him through all of this. Every player on tour benefits from Tiger Woods being in the field and staying healthy. Fans come out, people watch on TV and purses go up! But yes, now that we have been notified that he isn't going straight to the doctor...does make things a a tad different. But then again, he most likely has someone who is checking it out at his house...sorry, his "compound." I don't want to insult his home. He probably could have just done a quick interview from his car. Just say "I'm hurting, need to go home and get it elevated and iced" But to be honest, I really don't give a sh$% what he did. There is still a good golf tournament being played.

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

And another thread is successfully Tigerjacked - kudos guys.

• Upvote 2

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Bubba Watson. One shot down. One hole to go. Justin Rose in the lead. It's on.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by k-troop

If he was going to be overly cautious, he should have quit on the range when he first started feeling the pain.  He didn't.  He quit only when it was apparent he couldn't win.  And his injury is so serious that he'll be getting it checked out "sometime early next week."  Not right now.  Not straight from the WD to the hospital.

I don't hate Tiger.  I love watching him destroy fields and courses--who doesn't?  But he's lost his honor, IMO.

Maybe so. Do we know that to be the case - that he felt it on the range? If so, yes, he should have WD'd right then.

As far as only doing it only when he was out of contention, so what?

Actually, he was out of contention after about 6 holes. He pressed on to the 11th, which, by the way, is right next to the clubhouse. I'm guessing his thought process was, 'I'm hurt, but 10 is a par-5. If I can eagle that & birdie 11, I'll try to finish' - he didn't so he WD'd. So what?

Back to the tounament - if Bubba makes birdie off that drive...that would something quite special. And unexpected. One in 100 chance.

Also, there goes any chance of Tiger winning the Vardon Trophy. Though you could argue that went out the window years ago.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Somebody should rinse that guy who just yelled "Mashpotatoe" in 18 lake. And the guy who just yelled at Rose "Bubba's in the lake, Don't worry" Couple of jagoffs!
DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Maybe so. Do we know that to be the case - that he felt it on the range? If so, yes, he should have WD'd right then.

He said it felt stiff on the range. Obviously, he hoped it would get better once he started walking around. Instead, it got worse. He would have been stupid to continue. And he would have gotten the same treatment from idiots no matter when he withdrew.

Note: This thread is 4431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!