IGNORED

Teeing Up Irons (Par 3 or Otherwise)

Note: This thread is 3777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

I always tee it when Im allowed to.  It just makes it so much easier to get the ball up in the air than hitting it on the grown.  Every time I see someone just walk up to the tee and plop their ball on the ground its all I can do to not say, "Watch out!  We got ourselves a tour pro here!"

No, most tour pros are smarter than that.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tee up for all clubs except for my GW to LW for short par 3s. For some reason I hit it a lot better when I place it lightly on the ground instead of on a tee.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I always tee it when Im allowed to.  It just makes it so much easier to get the ball up in the air than hitting it on the grown.  Every time I see someone just walk up to the tee and plop their ball on the ground its all I can do to not say, "Watch out!  We got ourselves a tour pro here!"

Ha, that's funny.  That's kinda the vibe it gives off.

Oh, and I think you just made it to the spelling/grammar thread ;-).

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

This is me. I almost always use a found broken tee for this duty as well because you usually break a new tee used for this. My break for a tiny bit higher is the 4 iron; 5 iron down is just almost touching the grass. Hybrids a little higher than irons, but not like a 3 wood.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

No, most tour pros are smarter than that.

Unless your name is David Duval.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Ha, that's funny.  That's kinda the vibe it gives off.

Oh, and I think you just made it to the spelling/grammar thread ;-).

Let me guess, its, "our selves", not, "ourselves"?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I always tee it when Im allowed to.  It just makes it so much easier to get the ball up in the air than hitting it on the grown.  Every time I see someone just walk up to the tee and plop their ball on the ground its all I can do to not say, "Watch out!  We got ourselves a tour pro here!"

I'm thinking it's more based on the bold...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I can't help but wonder why people do not tee up their shot. You shouldn't be teeing the ball up so that the leading edge of your iron is hitting the tee first, but you should definitely take advantage of the opportunity to have an ideal lie at any and all opportunities given.

I press the tee all the way down into the ground and save my half tees for any Par 3 I come across. I typically tee down so that just the square, 1/16" is up and the ball is still touching the grass. I also get more height and a softer landing with a predictable roll-out for my yardage.

• Upvote 1

The "grown" should have made the thread.  But I didn't post it there ;-)

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Many years ago, My teaching pro gave me a video of Ken Venturi's golf lessons. The one thing that has stayed with me was you should always improve you lie where the rules allow it. Use a tee with your irons off the tee box to keep any grass from coming into contact between the ball and club. A lot of people think because irons are mainly used from the fairway where no tee is used that they shouldn't use one from the tee box.

Originally Posted by BenGolf19

If tiger tees the ball up, you tee the ball up

I get what you're saying in this case, because I am one that thinks everyone should take the best lie possible from the tee box. I see using a tee as an advantage that I am not going to pass up. Just be careful with the "If Tiger does it, you do it" logic because it does not apply to much of anything else obviously.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Yes, I also use a tee when using an iron off the tee box.  If it's a short iron, I usually push it down so far such that the ball is just barely sitting above the grass - just enough so you know it's a perfect lie.  If it's a longer iron, say a 4 or 5 iron, then I'm giving it a little height above the ground ... perhaps 1/4" or so?

This is exactly what I do.

Sometimes, I play with people who tee the ball up a 1/2" - 1" which I cant understand at all. For everything up to a 5, the tee almost completely in the ground works great.

• 3 months later...
What height do you guys tee your balls on a par 3 when you use an iron? I see these 2 1/8 tees but that looks like a lot of height to me? I usually tee it up with just the head of the tee showing. What do you guys say?

I tee it up about 1/8" or so. Just barely off the ground. Same with my hybrids. For me the idea is to use the exact same swing as I would in the fairway so I don't want it teed up to the point that I'm using a different swing.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I tee it up about 1/8" or so. Just barely off the ground. Same with my hybrids. For me the idea is to use the exact same swing as I would in the fairway so I don't want it teed up to the point that I'm using a different swing.

I cheat a little.  If I knew I would take a 'perfect' swing, I'd tee it up such that the top of the tee is basically at ground level, but since I tend to miss thin more than fat, I'll give myself a little help by raising it up to maybe 1/4" for the shorter irons, wedge up through 7 iron, and then a smidge higher for each successive club on up to 3 wood, that is maybe at 1/2 inch.  (Driver, obviously, is teed up much, much higher, than even the 3wood)

I tee it up so that its just above the ground, like the ball is sitting up.

Note: This thread is 3777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!