IGNORED

Impact position (With Picture)

Note: This thread is 4388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Been having a discussionw ith MBD regarding my impact position, which has a very open clubface and cupped left wrist,...Minibluedragon suggest a flatter wrist at the top of the backswing as it is currently cupped, will that help?

just looking for other tips/reasonings if possible?

PS: this shot went way right from the beginning haha

James Robinson 008-7.png

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Actually suggested flatter left wrist at impact to close the face down. I did 'note' on another swing that the left wrist is very cupped at the top but that it could be perfectly playable.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

see, i cant even explain it properly myself after being told ......

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

see, i cant even explain it properly myself after being told ......

Funny, I posted something related to this earlier.  About Hogan.  He had a cupped left wrist at the top and one of his first moves down was dropping the club by bowing his left wrist.  Looks as if he's laying off the club, but he's actually squaring the face and shallowing his swing out.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

I've had a lot of good results by focusing on keeping my elbows close together through the impact zone. Consciously thinking about my wrists at impact just screws the rest of my swing dynamics up.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I second this ^.  Keeping my elbows close keeps my "power package" intact and stop me from straightening my right elbow too early causing a flip through impact.

[b]My Bag[/b] 1 Burgeoning mental game

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I've had a lot of good results by focusing on keeping my elbows close together through the impact zone. Consciously thinking about my wrists at impact just screws the rest of my swing dynamics up.

They make a pretty good training aid for this.

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

They make a pretty good training aid for this.

what's that?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

• Administrator

Hi,

Been having a discussionw ith MBD regarding my impact position, which has a very open clubface and cupped left wrist,...Minibluedragon suggest a flatter wrist at the top of the backswing as it is currently cupped, will that help?

just looking for other tips/reasonings if possible?

PS: this shot went way right from the beginning haha

First, your elbows are plenty close together in this picture. Let's no chase down unnecessary paths.

Second, the face could very well be open because you toed the heck out of the ball. Did you? Or was contact on the sweet spot? I doubt very much you're hitting the ball with a face that's 10°+ open.

Third, your left wrist can be cupped at A7. Who cares? In 5 Simple Keys® we talk about Key #3: Flat Left Wrist, but really that Key is about the shaft reaching the inline condition at or slightly after A7. You seem to have achieved it at A7, so you're fine there.

Fred Couples, Lee Westwood. Two pretty good golfers whose left wrists aren't flat at A7.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Iacas Thanks for replying No it was toed, it wasn't off middle though..........the ball started right and just kept going right, Same again tonight really, and my irons are fading slightly, I'm also cutting under Neath them and ballooning up high At my wits end now.....

Iacas

Thanks for replying

No it was toed, it wasn't off middle though..........the ball started right and just kept going right,

Same again tonight really, and my irons are fading slightly, I'm also cutting under Neath them and ballooning up high

At my wits end now.....

Hang in there.  Your position looks pretty good there.  It will come around.

Really? I tried every tempo of swing i could coupled with every grip pressure, and still the 7i maxed out at 120 when its normally atleast 165 with an easy swing My drives where either push sliced or ballooned 100 yards,......its ridiculous how up and down my game is Ive got a society match on saturday and my games in tatters,......it surely cant this damn hard to groive a consistent swing? I dont even care if i miss slightly left or right so long as i get nice contact and hit the club the distance i chose it for,....gunna be taking a 5i from 130 yards in at this bloody rate

Really? I tried every tempo of swing i could coupled with every grip pressure, and still the 7i maxed out at 120 when its normally atleast 165 with an easy swing

My drives where either push sliced or ballooned 100 yards,......its ridiculous how up and down my game is

Ive got a society match on saturday and my games in tatters,......it surely cant this damn hard to groive a consistent swing? I dont even care if i miss slightly left or right so long as i get nice contact and hit the club the distance i chose it for,....gunna be taking a 5i from 130 yards in at this bloody rate

Yes, it is that hard to groove a consistent swing..........and you can be a single capper and have days where you not only feel like a 25 capper but also post a score like one.  Even the pros can post a score below par one day and then a 80 the next (mcilroy in the 2011 masters, posted a 65 in the first round and a 80 in the final).  In fact plenty of examples abound.  The point is, this is something that we all will struggle with no matter our skill level.  Just hang in there.  Also, sometimes, it's good to take a week or two off not playing and just recharge.  I know it certainly helps me when my mind and my swing gets in a funky place and i've posted some of my lowest scores following the self imposed time off from the course and range.

By the way, your impact position as a 23 capper looks great, certainly much better than how mine looked when I was at that same level!!!

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

Thanks for the reply, today was my first range session since sunday, i cant afford to play/practice much as id like Yeah quite abit of my swing looks good, but the results dont care how pretty it was :( I literally dont wanna play saturday....

about turn!!!...

after reviewing the slomo video of my swings (int he member swing bit also) I noticed as MBD pointed out that my hands trace the plane really nicely, but my club is always underneath it,......and i noticed i overswing quite alot

so last night before hitting any balls i got in from of the mirror and practiced a drill i found called "thumbs to the sky" and sure enough it got the club inline with my hands if not a tad higher,...i also started taking what i though were 3/4 swings, again in the mirroor they just turned out to be a nice full swing,.....

after grooving that feeling for a while and practice swinging for a while i hit some balls,......pured,...absolutely pured

after 50 balls and much practice swinging, i started messing with alignment to hit draws and fades,...and it worked!

mega stoked about playing tomorrow now

For a 23 cap that position is not bad. The next time you have your camera out, swing the club with your left arm only and look at that impact position. I did this the other day and loved what I saw...Hands leading the shaft. Also check that ball position. I can't tell where it is but it looks real forward in this view. Good luck.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 4388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!