IGNORED

2 Must play courses near San Francisco

Note: This thread is 4380 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Oh, yeah, Poppy Ridge. Great course. I'd second that recommendation.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Yukari

Why people continue to think Pasatiempo is a must play is beyond me.

It is a regular muni track.  Nothing special or memorable!

I prefer Cinnabar Hills (great views), San Juan Oaks, Poppy Ridge (27 holes in Livermore, CA), Wente's (also in Livermore, CA, Greg Norman Design, also great views).  But these are at least an hour away from SF city.

EDIT--oh, Silverado is nothing to look at either.

Pasatiempo is a muni track? Are you sure we are talking about the same course?

Originally Posted by MSchott

Here's Pasatiempo so we're all clear http://www.pasatiempo.com/web/

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

If it's a muni, based on its stellar reviews and golf magazines best course rankings, I think its a Torrey South or Bethpage type of muni.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

If it's a muni, based on its stellar reviews and golf magazines best course rankings, I think its a Torrey South or Bethpage type of muni.

Exactly, it's a muni just like bayonet, blackhorse, harding park...

I've never played it, but my buddies always stop there when they can.

Hey, glad to hear you've made the journey down under. Thanks for the recommendations.  If you head back to NZ be sure to check out Cape Kidnappers ( http://www.capekidnappers.com ), Wairakei ( http://www.wairakeigolfcourse.co.nz ) and Kinloch ( http://www.kinloch-golf.com ).  A bit pricey but fantastic golf courses with stunning views.

In my  :sunmountain: H2NO bag:

910 D3 (9.5° - A1 setting)

910 F-d (15° - A1 setting)

4DX (20°)

:mizuno: MP64 (4-6) MP69 (7-PW)

:mizuno: MP-T4 (50°), (54°), :callaway: Jaws (60°)

Select Newport 2 2012)

Originally Posted by Sandwedge74

hey - I live in the town of Sonoma.

Chardonnay - I say no for the reasons stated above. Eagle vines is an awesome course - long and tough but fair. plus a beautiful island par 3. Hiddenbrooke is just an awesome Arnold Palmer course - def. a challenge.

I would also check out this course: www.playcallippe.com/   played it yesterday - awesome course rated at 71.3 and 130 from the blue (middle) tee's. I grinded for an 85 - (first time playing it) just a sick sick course with amazing views and great elevation changes.

mare island while nice is public and has the shit beaten out of it - lots a of dead grass and bad lies from great shots.

for your money though - these three

courses would be at the top of my list (outside of San Francisco proper)

Stonetree (Napa)

Halfmoon bay (two courses)

Silverado (Johnny Miller course in Napa)

both extremely nice and golfnow has great deals

pasatiempo is also top notch

enjyoy your stay! I'm a musician and have toured to New Zealand three times - great golf down there!!!

p.s. Eagle vines is tucked into the Napa Wine Vinyards...really nice views!!!

Hey, glad to hear you've made the journey down under. Thanks for the recommendations.  If you head back to NZ be sure to check out Cape Kidnappers ( http://www.capekidnappers.com ), Wairakei ( http://www.wairakeigolfcourse.co.nz ) and Kinloch ( http://www.kinloch-golf.com ).  A bit pricey but fantastic golf courses with stunning views.

4DX (20°)

Select Newport 2 2012)

Originally Posted by Yukari

Why people continue to think Pasatiempo is a must play is beyond me.

It is a regular muni track.  Nothing special or memorable!

I prefer Cinnabar Hills (great views), San Juan Oaks, Poppy Ridge (27 holes in Livermore, CA), Wente's (also in Livermore, CA, Greg Norman Design, also great views).  But these are at least an hour away from SF city.

EDIT--oh, Silverado is nothing to look at either.

Great advice - Wentes looks awesome.  Will make that high on my list.

4DX (20°)

Select Newport 2 2012)

Presidio's a decent choice at the low end of your budget, close into the city, great views of the Bay, the Golden Gate, and a good test.  Pasatiempo and Harding are tops though, and worth the effort to play.

How far are you willing to travel? About 2 hours south is the magnificent Monterey Penninsula where some of the greatest golf in the world is located. Pebble Beach is the star but Spyglass Hill, Links at Spanish Bay and Poppy Hills (in that order) are terrific as well. In San Francisco, The Presideo and Harding Park are traditionally the best courses. On the other side of the bay there are a lot of great courses including Wente and Poppy Ridge. East of Monterey is San Juan Oaks, a very fine course. Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz is a great Alistair MacKenzie course and is absolutely wonderful. It's private but allows outside play.

Great recommendation! I say that Pebble Beach is the best. You can check out some photos of Pebble Beach around the web.

Originally Posted by adh241

Great advice - Wentes looks awesome.  Will make that high on my list.

Wente Vineyards it a great course. Great views and the vineyards are part of the course as well. I've played Presidio a few times and you can probably skip this course. The "player's club" program they have bring in a lot of hackers to the course so it's starting to get pretty torn up.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Wente would be extremely high on my list as well. A few years ago it would host a Nationwide Tour event. It is a great course. It is a bit far from SF, but if you are willing to drive I would rank it as high as Harding Park.

Michael

Originally Posted by VMAN

Exactly, it's a muni just like bayonet, blackhorse, harding park...

I've never played it, but my buddies always stop there when they can.

No, Pasatiempo is a semi-private course that has tee times open for non-members. It costs $250.00/round at peak times. Not a muni.

Note: This thread is 4380 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!