IGNORED

2 Must play courses near San Francisco

Note: This thread is 4380 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Me and several mates  (all decent / capable golfers) are travelling to San Fran in June (from New Zealand) for the US Open.  We will want to play at least twice while there.  Happy to travel away from the city to get to a decent course.  Suggestions for courses please?

In my  :sunmountain: H2NO bag:

910 D3 (9.5° - A1 setting)

910 F-d (15° - A1 setting)

4DX (20°)

:mizuno: MP64 (4-6) MP69 (7-PW)

:mizuno: MP-T4 (50°), (54°), :callaway: Jaws (60°)

Select Newport 2 2012)

How far are you willing to travel? About 2 hours south is the magnificent Monterey Penninsula where some of the greatest golf in the world is located. Pebble Beach is the star but Spyglass Hill, Links at Spanish Bay and Poppy Hills (in that order) are terrific as well. In San Francisco, The Presideo and Harding Park are traditionally the best courses. On the other side of the bay there are a lot of great courses including Wente and Poppy Ridge. East of Monterey is San Juan Oaks, a very fine course. Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz is a great Alistair MacKenzie course and is absolutely wonderful. It's private but allows outside play.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

TPC Harding Park is a must which is just down the road from Olympic. As MSchott says, it's only a 2 hour drive to Monterey. Try and book one of the courses out there - Pebble, Spyglass, Poppy Hills, etc.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

For public stuff in the area I'd say Harding Park and Pasatiempo are awesome.  I would agree with making a trip to Monterrey.  If you can get on,  the best private courses other than Olympic would be San Francisco and California Golf Club.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by mvmac

For public stuff in the area I'd say Harding Park and Pasatiempo are awesome.  I would agree with making a trip to Monterrey.  If you can get on,  the best private courses other than Olympic would be San Francisco and California Golf Club.

There's also TPC Stonebrae in Hayward as a private course. Right now it hosts a Nationwide tour event each year. It has good views of the Bay and plays fairly difficult because it's on top of a hill.

Best Regards,
Ryan

:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

I would first play Harding Park. It is right in the city easy to get to and a great course. I would put this very high on the list.
After booking that I would want to know your budget. Pasatiempo is a great golf course but for $250 bucks it is not cheap, same with any of the courses in Monterey. Pebble is something like 500 bucks, out of my budget but I will say it is a once in a lifetime experience. All the other courses in Monterey are pricey as well, but certainly a great place to play.
Now if you are more budget conscious, I would suggest Bodega Bay. It is up North quite a bit, but a much better price and a great course to play. There is also Half Moon Bay which is about an hour to 45 minutes south of SF, but you need to join their e-club to get the best rates. Without the e-club it is like $250 bucks but with e-club you should only pay about 110.
Hope this helps.

Michael

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think Monterey will be a little pricey for me & I'm looking to keep it somewhere between $100 to $200 per round if possible. Pebble Beach is on my to do list but this time around I'll have to skip it as theres no way I'm getting that one past the wife.

4DX (20°)

Select Newport 2 2012)

I'd second Half Moon Bay.

If you love Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds", it was shot in Bodega Bay. Fun to look around after the round, sans birds. No Teppi Hedren.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by adh241

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think Monterey will be a little pricey for me & I'm looking to keep it somewhere between $100 to $200 per round if possible. Pebble Beach is on my to do list but this time around I'll have to skip it as theres no way I'm getting that one past the wife.

Check out the Pasatiempo website for booking tee times. There are plenty of off peak times at prices much lower than $250.00. It's probably the best course I've ever played and had a recent restoration to add bunkers and remove trees. It's hard but a pure Mackenzie gem. In fact, the great man lived in a house across from the course.

Half moon bay is a good option, and they have two courses so you could make a full day of it.

If you want better weather, as June is not the best in SF or Halfmoon bay, head up to Napa and play at the Silverado Resort.  There are two courses and are on a rotation between members and resort quests.  Both nice, they used to play the transamerica on the south, I like the North a little better.  The weather will be nice and it is easy to find a good restaurant or visit a winery as part of your day.

There is also the sonoma mission inn golf course, I haven't played it but it gets rave reviews from all.  Once again, good weather, and after a few days in SF you'll want to warm up.  ;)

Originally Posted by VMAN

Half moon bay is a good option, and they have two courses so you could make a full day of it.

If you want better weather, as June is not the best in SF or Halfmoon bay, head up to Napa and play at the Silverado Resort.  There are two courses and are on a rotation between members and resort quests.  Both nice, they used to play the transamerica on the south, I like the North a little better.  The weather will be nice and it is easy to find a good restaurant or visit a winery as part of your day.

There is also the sonoma mission inn golf course, I haven't played it but it gets rave reviews from all.  Once again, good weather, and after a few days in SF you'll want to warm up.  ;)

I've also heard good reviews for Chardonnay Golf Club in Napa and the new Cache Creek golf course - Yocha Dehe Golf Club - is a good one as well.

Best Regards,
Ryan

Yocha dehe is great, but a bit further away.  Chardonnnay is OK, they just remodeled and took out 9 of the 27 holes.  It now has 6 or 5 par 5's and 6 or 5 (I forget) par 3's, a bit odd.  I like Eagle Vines, which is right next door to Chardonnay much better both bercause the course is better and because it is better maintained.

Hiddenbrook is also nice, right off of hwy 80, a straight shot from the city.  They used to play an LPGA event there, I really like that course.  tough!

For historical purposes and great views, try Mare Island.  It's an old army/navy golf course.  the first nine are touted as the oldest west of the mississippi.  I haven't played it in years, but have always enjoyed it and the green fees are affordable.

Thanks for that advice.  I think a trip to Napa was on the cards for other obvious reasons so may be able to get the women to do some wine tasting while we work up our thirst at Silverado or Sonoma Mission.

4DX (20°)

Select Newport 2 2012)

Originally Posted by VMAN

Yocha dehe is great, but a bit further away.  Chardonnnay is OK, they just remodeled and took out 9 of the 27 holes.  It now has 6 or 5 par 5's and 6 or 5 (I forget) par 3's, a bit odd.  I like Eagle Vines, which is right next door to Chardonnay much better both bercause the course is better and because it is better maintained.

Hiddenbrook is also nice, right off of hwy 80, a straight shot from the city.  They used to play an LPGA event there, I really like that course.  tough!

For historical purposes and great views, try Mare Island.  It's an old army/navy golf course.  the first nine are touted as the oldest west of the mississippi.  I haven't played it in years, but have always enjoyed it and the green fees are affordable.

Again, thanks for all the info.  Sounds like theres plenty to choose from.  I think after a couple of days in San Fran we're staying closer to Napa to should be able to get some quality golf in.

4DX (20°)

Select Newport 2 2012)

Originally Posted by adh241

Again, thanks for all the info.  Sounds like theres plenty to choose from.  I think after a couple of days in San Fran we're staying closer to Napa to should be able to get some quality golf in.

As far as the Napa area, I second the recommendation for Eagle Vines. Good variety of holes as you wind through vineyards, great clubhouse, spectacular views of the hills/countryside, less than $100.

Bill

hey - I live in the town of Sonoma.

Chardonnay - I say no for the reasons stated above. Eagle vines is an awesome course - long and tough but fair. plus a beautiful island par 3. Hiddenbrooke is just an awesome Arnold Palmer course - def. a challenge.

I would also check out this course: www.play callippe .com/   played it yesterday - awesome course rated at 71.3 and 130 from the blue (middle) tee's. I grinded for an 85 - (first time playing it) just a sick sick course with amazing views and great elevation changes.

mare island while nice is public and has the shit beaten out of it - lots a of dead grass and bad lies from great shots.

for your money though - these three

courses would be at the top of my list (outside of San Francisco proper)

• Stonetree (Napa)

• Halfmoon bay (two courses)

• Silverado (Johnny Miller course in Napa)

both extremely nice and golfnow has great deals

pasatiempo is also top notch

enjyoy your stay! I'm a musician and have toured to New Zealand three times - great golf down there!!!

p.s. Eagle vines is tucked into the Napa Wine Vinyards...really nice views!!!

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

Originally Posted by Sandwedge74

hey - I live in the town of Sonoma.

Chardonnay - I say no for the reasons stated above. Eagle vines is an awesome course - long and tough but fair. plus a beautiful island par 3. Hiddenbrooke is just an awesome Arnold Palmer course - def. a challenge.

I would also check out this course: www.playcallippe.com/   played it yesterday - awesome course rated at 71.3 and 130 from the blue (middle) tee's. I grinded for an 85 - (first time playing it) just a sick sick course with amazing views and great elevation changes.

mare island while nice is public and has the shit beaten out of it - lots a of dead grass and bad lies from great shots.

for your money though - these three

courses would be at the top of my list (outside of San Francisco proper)

Stonetree (Napa)

Halfmoon bay (two courses)

Silverado (Johnny Miller course in Napa)

both extremely nice and golfnow has great deals

pasatiempo is also top notch

enjyoy your stay! I'm a musician and have toured to New Zealand three times - great golf down there!!!

p.s. Eagle vines is tucked into the Napa Wine Vinyards...really nice views!!!

Slight correction. The Silverado courses were originally designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr and redesigned by Miller.

Why people continue to think Pasatiempo is a must play is beyond me.

It is a regular muni track.  Nothing special or memorable!

I prefer Cinnabar Hills (great views), San Juan Oaks, Poppy Ridge (27 holes in Livermore, CA), Wente's (also in Livermore, CA, Greg Norman Design, also great views).  But these are at least an hour away from SF city.

EDIT--oh, Silverado is nothing to look at either.

• Upvote 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 4380 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!