IGNORED

Titleist and Srixon - Opposite Messages Regarding Tour Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 4039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Q-Star has been my ball of choice for the last few rounds and the only ball this year I have bought more then the original dozen I have bought.  Played the ProV1X 1 time and it was a quality ball but I can't see spending the $54 a dozen that they go for up here when a dozen Q-Stars go for $25.  I find the ball goes straight off the tee and I just shoot for the middle of the green most shots anyway so I don't need them to stick.

Here's how the Titleist Prov1x works. First off they spin more, so if you a beginner that hits a big cut or draw then the prov1x is not for you as it will exagerate the spin off the club face. That's why its such a good ball in 100 because if you spin the ball well it will help you spin it more which is what I love about it.

Go with the srixon's all the way, another ball that i'd recommend as good for beginners are the bridgestone e5 and e6. Great balls with moderate spin and good distance.

I'll just go ahead and say that it matters very little to a mid to high handicap player and most would likely not be able to tell the difference. Play whatever ball you and your wallet feel comfortable with. One or the other won't make any significant impact on your score. Which is why I would opt for the cheaper one. Of course Titleist wants you to play their balls and lose them in the woods. They want to make money, duh.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

q star is for speeds lower than 95? I actually just played a sleeve this weekend with them and loved them. I have a 105 swing speed and hit about 8 of 10 fairways (all time best by far) I really like how it held the greens for the price. As far as Im concerned If I hit any wedge or iron and the divot is anywhere within a few feet of the ball Im happy. I was hitting the ball about 270 280 consistently with the driver and was striking really well. curious if I lost any distance?

To the OP: I am pretty sure with a 110 swing speed you would be better off with the pro v1x over the pro v1. My understanding is more distance and a little less spin but for the higher swing speeds. I have played them both and they were great. what do you expect for a 50 dollar/dozen ball. I would say the q stars might be my ball of choice from now on.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

q star is for speeds lower than 95? I actually just played a sleeve this weekend with them and loved them. I have a 105 swing speed and hit about 8 of 10 fairways (all time best by far) I really like how it held the greens for the price. As far as Im concerned If I hit any wedge or iron and the divot is anywhere within a few feet of the ball Im happy. I was hitting the ball about 270 280 consistently with the driver and was striking really well. curious if I lost any distance?

To the OP: I am pretty sure with a 110 swing speed you would be better off with the pro v1x over the pro v1. My understanding is more distance and a little less spin but for the higher swing speeds. I have played them both and they were great. what do you expect for a 50 dollar/dozen ball. I would say the q stars might be my ball of choice from now on.

That's what their site says.  I like em too and I find them very straight off the tee without a significant loss in distance.  I still think the ProV1x goes longer, but for the money the Qstar is a good ball.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Well Titleist and Bridgestone/Srixon both have different opinions and stats on golf balls. Bridgestone says that you need to get fit for a ball and that is your best option. They say that you need to find the right ball to match your swing speed so you can compress it properly. Srixon says basically the same thing. Titleist says that matching a ball to your swingspeed and compression isn't necessary and won't make a difference. I personally find that hard to believe and I go with what Bridgestone has to say on the subject.

IMO, Srixon is the one telling the truth here and Titleist is merely trying to sell you a more expensive ball.  If you hit a slice or hook with cheaper balls, then a tour ball is only going to make that worse.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

• Administrator
IMO, Srixon is the one telling the truth here and Titleist is merely trying to sell you a more expensive ball.  If you hit a slice or hook with cheaper balls, then a tour ball is only going to make that worse.

I see you have engaged your "I Hate Titleist Mode" again, TWI. :-) WIth the driver, all balls spin fairly close to the same amount. The "added spin" you get with a Pro V1x is largely due to the cover formulation and is, thus, for short irons and short game shots. You can slice a Q Star just about as much as you can a Pro V1x. The Q Star might actually spin MORE because it's softer, and that's what softer balls deliver - they make up for their decreased ball speed (softer balls always have slower ball speeds) by increasing spin so they stay in the air longer. If you don't swing fast enough, a ball that spins less with the driver (a Pro V1x) will fall out of the sky prematurely while a softer ball (Q Star) that spins more will stay in the air longer. To argue against myself, sometimes you'll slice a Q Star a bit less because if there's more "backspin," the spin axis will not tilt as easily. In the end, for 90%+ of people, the Q Star and the Pro V1x will slice or hook about the same with the driver because they tend to balance out the "more spin" with a spin axis that's not quite as severely tilted. But… For a beginner, go with the cheaper ball. There's no need for you to lose $4 golf balls. Just lose the $1.67 balls instead.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 9 months later...

Srixon is correct in the sense that most golfers would be wasting their money playing a z-star rather than a q-star, since most golfers stink.  Both cost you 2 strokes when you hit them OB.

Note: This thread is 4039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!