IGNORED

How did you fix your slice?

lostmyballs
Note: This thread is 2501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

All this sounds good. The way I managed to stop the inside out swing is all in the backswing. You have to set up to swing inside out or you have no chance. For me this "involved bringing the club back like you are emptying a bucket of water."   My pro also use a device called a Slice eliminator which worked almost immediately and had me hitting farther and straighter, even with a draw, in just a couple swings.

I am not sure the slice eliminator would work without instruction, but it sure does work with instruction. Basically, if you come over the top, you hit it and not the ball.

Just a week ago, the PGA pro I'm taking lessons from gave me a tip on how to hit the driver from inside/out instead of outside/in just using a couple of baskets on the ground.

In order to avoid hitting the baskets, I had to keep my arms closer to my body and rotate my hips more during my swing and, since then, I've been hitting the ball straight or left w/a slight draw more often than w/a slice/fade.  Still have a few mishits but they are starting to go away too.

Using the same swing for the other major clubs that I practice with -- the 3 wood, 3 hybrid, 7 iron and pitching wedge --  and, although the set up changes for each club, the swing works well w/all of them.  In fact, although I still slice the 3 wood sometimes, all of the other clubs hits are always going straight or left w/a draw.

Seems like a major break through that I need to get ingrained into muscle memory w/more practice and, with this knowledge, I'll probably be able to actually try to "shape" my shots to fit the terrain, since I already know how to slice the ball so well. :-D

Callaway FT9 Driver (10N)
Jones/Ortiz 3W(13), 4W (17) & 5W (19)
Jones/Ortiz  3H (21) 4H (25) & 5H (30)
Titleist DCI Gold - 3-PW (21-48)
Titleist Vokey PW (48-6), GW (52-8), SW (56-10) & LW (60-4)
Northwestern (Tom Weiskopf) #309 Putter

I went from hitting a power fade to a weak and worthless slice some years back.  Couldn't figure it out to save my life.  I went and bought a video camera and a tripod and took it to the range and actually got to see the root cause.  I had read a lot and watched a lot and have a pretty good knowledge of the golf swing for it and was able to fight the slice back.  It got to the point that I was hooking it off the planet.  That got pretty old pretty fast.  Now I mostly try to hit a small draw or try the straight shot.  Hitting a fade and not a slice on purpose is still hard to do for me.  But when I mishit my driver and end up with a 2 yard fade I am pretty pleased even though it was a mishit.

I started hitting a hook.........LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Keeping my weight slightly on my right foot and let the swing transfer my weight automatically, I shortened my backswing considerably and for the downswing I thought about trying to swing the club hard out to the right, to keep from coming over the top.  It feels as if I'm going to completely miss the ball, instead, it strikes it solidly with a slight draw.

Keeping my weight slightly on my right foot and let the swing transfer my weight automatically, I shortened my backswing considerably and for the downswing I thought about trying to swing the club hard out to the right, to keep from coming over the top.  It feels as if I'm going to completely miss the ball, instead, it strikes it solidly with a slight draw.

Be careful with that feel, make sure the weight still gets well forward by impact. The average PGA Tour player has 80-95% of their weight on the forward leg. The average amateur gets only 55% of their weight forward at impact.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Be careful with that feel, make sure the weight still gets well forward by impact. The average PGA Tour player has 80-95% of their weight on the forward leg. The average amateur gets only 55% of their weight forward at impact.

I've tried keeping my weight on the forward foot during the entire swing and without any success; perhaps there is such a thing as too much weight on it and I should try to feel for eighty percent.  Thanks for the advice though, I'll give it a try.

• Administrator

I've tried keeping my weight on the forward foot during the entire swing and without any success; perhaps there is such a thing as too much weight on it and I should try to feel for eighty percent.  Thanks for the advice though, I'll give it a try.

@mvmac said at impact. Your weight should NOT stay on your forward leg throughout the entire swing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@mvmac said at impact. Your weight should NOT stay on your forward leg throughout the entire swing.

I just got back from the practice range.  You're right!  It actually works!  I started with my weight just slightly on the behind foot and during the downswing, gently (i.e. not a bump) transfer my weight onto the forward foot and my shots were almost making it into orbit (okay, I'm exaggerating, but thanks for the great tip) .

I just got back from the practice range.  You're right!  It actually works!  I started with my weight just slightly on the behind foot and during the downswing, gently (i.e. not a bump) transfer my weight onto the forward foot and my shots were almost making it into orbit (okay, I'm exaggerating, but thanks for the great tip) .

Happy to help.

Keys 1 and 2 are very important, you can be a single digit handicap by "owning" just two of the five.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

It still works!  I just played today and shot a wonderful 85.  My putting is ridiculous and everybody still laughs, but I did not slice today and except for the odd "slight cut" shot, they were either straight or had a nice draw on them.  Before, I was hanging back on my behind foot throughout the swing and as a result, my forward foot always spun around and pointed to the hole;  that's just plain wrong and leads to chunky shots.  Upon transferring most of my weight onto my forward foot before impact, my forward foot remained perpendicular to the target and my hind foot easily turned up naturally.  I can't send you any money mvmac for your advice as I recently had to pay for a window I broke because I sliced a ball and they have the audacity  to make me pay for it, but I consider you to be an Einstein of golf theory - again thanks for your help!

Strong grip and then starting downswing with butt end of the club down toward ball and through target line. It's awkward and hard to trust at first but after a few hundred balls it's so clear and makes so much sense. Now I can fade when I want to by weakening the grip. Still working on the draw as I get a little hooky at times. I have not sliced a drive in about 3 months since switching. My miss now is a bad pull if I forget to lead with the butt end of the club toward ball or a push if I get too flat and/or have open shoulders at address. I had probably the worst slice/pull and OTT swing you would have ever seen. Saw two "PGA" pros and neither fixed me. I fixed myself. Cost me a lot of money on range sessions. But it was worth it. It's as easy as making sure I'm aligned square, ball in middle of stance for all but driver, strong grip and swing handle butt at ball. The rest does itself for me. My body syncs up very well with that move.

• 2 weeks later...
I given up curing the slice. I actually like hitting slices and big blocks with my long irons. I just have to wait for dogleg right holes and align left and plan hit my slices and blocks at those moments

For me it is all about starting my downswing with my hips, which in turn gets my weight forward, along with a flat left wrist at impact. I have a tendency to get too flat and behind me going back at times, which makes it almost impossible for me to hit a draw.

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

I have a swingthought along these lines so to speak.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Note: This thread is 2501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!