IGNORED

My Swing (Jimbo Slice)

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 5 weeks

My current handicap index or average score is: 38.9 and my average score is 112.

My typical ball flight is: Left to Right

The shot I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Slice

Just started golfing at age 35 this summer. In my 5 weeks I've shot 10 full rounds and hit about 500 range balls. All rounds where played from the pro tee's, I just like them. If I have to switch tees to get a real handicap I will.

I bought a Nike SQ Black 10.5 Str8 fit driver and borrowed my Uncle's old irons, Ping Zing 2's Black dot 3-LS and a cheep putter. I had no Fairway woods or rescue/hybrid clubs. I would drive and then hit 3iron onward. All the rounds below are shot without fairway woods or hybrid clubs. I have since bought new Irons (burner plus) and a burner superfast rescue 3/18. I still need to get a fairway wood, but it will happen any day now. My new irons will be here tomorrow.

I'm just going to post all my rounds

128* Apr 29, 2012       Black Mountain Golf & Country Club

116* May 2, 2012        Desert Rose Golf Course

125* May 5, 2012        Desert Rose Golf Course

122* May 9, 2012        Desert Rose Golf Course

114* May 13, 2012       Desert Rose Golf Course

100* May 18, 2012       Desert Rose Golf Course

99*   May 24, 2012       Desert Rose Golf Course

110* May 26, 2012       Desert Rose Golf Course

109* May 27, 2012       Desert Rose Golf Course

96*   Jun 2, 2012          Desert Rose Golf Course

My first round was on Apr 29th and I shot a 128, 5 weeks later a shot a 96 . I also take no mulligans or gimmies.

That's my complete golf history , any information on my swing would be great.

I get all my swing information on websites and youtube.

I tend to Slice hard and often lol.

Sincerely, Jim

Im not an expert so take this with a grain of salt...You loo over extended at address and you shouldnt lift your left heel off the ground and keep your right elbow tucked not out like chicken wing

• 1 month later...

I'm in no position to offer you any advice with regards to your swing, I would suggest however that you would benefit greatly from learning the fundamentals of posture/setup and how to swing 'correctly' there is no doubt you have some natural ability but at the moment there are big flaws in your swing which will really restrict your ability to improve, get some lessons from a pro perhaps? Or if not some of the teachers on here might be able to give you some pointers, good job though man you have good hand eye co-ordination and you hit it pretty good considering you have been playing for such a short period of time.

A couple of videos I thought I would upload to show you the difference that happened with my swing after 1 lesson with a good pro, unfortunately I don't have an old driver swing but this is an iron, I'd suggest muting because it is windy:

This is a swing post lesson, I think the difference is night and day:

Cheers,

Smithy

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try not to sway your hips so much and keep your front leg from moving left to right. It should only be bending outward.

That's really the main thing that I see.

Looking again, it almost looks like you're holding your club up when you set up so it's even when resting on the ground. Your hands when holding the club should be resting in front, you shouldn't have to hold them up. If that makes any sense.

I'm in Las Vegas myself and searched everywhere for a good instructor at an inexpensive rate and I found Tom Sheeley. He works at Callaway Golf center but gives his private lessons at Siena Golf Club and/or Boulder Golf Club in BC. He charges $50 bucks for an hour lesson and is a great guy as well as very experienced. I've had a hand full of lessons and I can tell you my golf has improved a ton. He video tapes the lesson and then creates "Swing reports", comparing your swing to Pro's and letting you know what he sees and what not. (Here is an example of my very first swing report he did for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cV06UJSRqg&feature;=relmfu)

If you want his email or phone number, shoot me a PM.

Also, I always see Desert Rose on Groupon, how's that course now adays? The last time I played it, was when I was probably 11 or 12 years old and I remember it being it TERRIBLE shape, real muddy and just all around crappy. Is it in good shape now?

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

OP... i'm guessing you don't swing your irons the same as your driver, cause your driver swing is pretty darn good. the action you have from top to bottom is pretty much on point: there is no flipping in your swing, you're coming down on plane and from the inside. I would like to see you make those EXACT same movements, but set up closer to the ball, drop the hands slightly and bend more from the waist.

As far as the slicing goes, you have an incredibly weak grip, so I'd start by strengthening that, and then implementing the other things. By strengthening, I don't mean grip tighter, but take your driver and lay it so the head is flat on the ground, then grip your club about an inch or two to the right of where your hands would normally be. Your swing, all in all, reminds me quite a bit of Arnold Palmer's. I don't think you need to change the way you swing at all, just your set up, grip, and your alignment.

Originally Posted by senorchipotle

OP... i'm guessing you don't swing your irons the same as your driver, cause your driver swing is pretty darn good. the action you have from top to bottom is pretty much on point: there is no flipping in your swing, you're coming down on plane and from the inside. I would like to see you make those EXACT same movements, but set up closer to the ball, drop the hands slightly and bend more from the waist.

As far as the slicing goes, you have an incredibly weak grip, so I'd start by strengthening that, and then implementing the other things. By strengthening, I don't mean grip tighter, but take your driver and lay it so the head is flat on the ground, then grip your club about an inch or two to the right of where your hands would normally be. Your swing, all in all, reminds me quite a bit of Arnold Palmer's. I don't think you need to change the way you swing at all, just your set up, grip, and your alignment.

Ditto.

TigerAtTheTop_299x225.jpg 445649108_2eabbe3631.jpg

Another thing is the left heel. Keep it down like tiger in the pics. The knee should be flexed but the heel on the ground or a little off the ground. Otherwise its hard to place the heel back down in the same spot as your setup position.

909 D2 10.5* Aldila NVS Reg 65g

Baffler T-Rail 16*

R7 19*

Fli-Hi 21*

FP 5-PW

52* 56* 60* Vokey Spin Milled

Flat Stick

Originally Posted by Jonnyy8699

Open the clubface more on the takeaway. This helps you close the face on the way down. This helped me a lot when I was having problems closing the face.

to the OP, please dont do this...

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

Strongly agree, absolutely no need to open the club face.

Here's what I think stands out.  This will help you hinge your left wrist to a much greater degree on the backswing.  Gives you a better chance to hit it more solid and longer.

I see you're in Vegas, I would recommend you go see Jeff Smith at Radar Golf Academy, he's a good guy and does a great job with his students. Here's his youtube channel , let me know if you want his contact info

Jimbo Slice swing pic 1.jpg

Jimbo Slice siwng pic 2.jpg

Jimbo Slice swing pic .jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

what i would tell you to do is close ur club face  and when you star hitting a pull which will go straight left.keep that swing and aim to the right. job done ,look up new swing laws v old swing laws and you will understand why your slicing  good luck

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the suggestions, and the swing seems to be coming along at a good pace for my level of experience. I take all the information I pick up with a grain of salt, and cross check any adjustments I might purposely make to my swing. I just want to go over the changes I've made and the results I'm getting.

1. My left heel was coming off the ground. I'm now keeping the heel down. This has helped a lot, increasing accuracy and distance. Also reduced my shanks.

2. I was way over extended. Scooting up to the ball has reduced the my slice a bit. I would like to say it has increased my accuracy, but its more to the effect of, my bad shots don't go as far offline. I guess that could be the same thing as increased accuracy lol. Toe hits have become heel hits, and shanks have slightly increases. Some shots are now hooks instead of slices. The adjustment has taken some time for me to get used to, but I can definitely see the possibilities and there was an instant improvement.

3. I was sliding my hips back, on the back swing. I'm now using more of a rotation/twist on the back swing and releasing it forward on the down swing. This has helped with ball flight and distance, while increasing my complete shanks at times. The shanks are just due to the adjustment period on the new technique though.

Scooting up on the ball changed my posture, and with a few added tweaks it looks better. I made a few adjustments to my grip and use it more consistently now. Everything is helping and I wanted to wait long as possible to post my new swing. I'm a video junkie and wanted to wait, or else I might start putting up a swing every week lol. Plus the longer time between swing videos, the more changes you will be able to notice. I know the new swing can't look great, but it must look better then the old one. I can't wait to post it.

I'll be posting a few swings again soon. I'm going to do some driver and irons shots from both angles. I've been thinking about warming up real good before the video. Then I'll hit 20 shots and use the video from the 10th swing of that club and camera angle. Or maybe the worst looking swing from the middle section of the video. I want it to be my natural swing and not me trying to look good as I swing. Either way I'll have some new videos soon. I can afford lessons, I'm just not sure I can talk myself into paying for them. For now this is going to be my main asset for correcting my swing flaws ha ha.

Sincerely, Jim

• 1 year later...

Maybe you misunderstood me, if you look at this screenshot, his face is much too closed at A2 (shaft horizontal). The toe of the club should be pointing directly upward at this position, which helps with natural face angle transition instead of manipulating it like he is doing in that video.

But it sounds like you fixed a majority of your problems Jimbo, it'd be great to see a video of the new swing.

• Administrator

Maybe you misunderstood me, if you look at this screenshot, his face is much too closed at A2 (shaft horizontal). The toe of the club should be pointing directly upward at this position, which helps with natural face angle transition instead of manipulating it like he is doing in that video.

The toe doesn't need to be toe up there. It can be, but it can also remain relatively square to the plane at A2, too, which is closer to what he's done.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The toe doesn't need to be toe up there. It can be, but it can also remain relatively square to the plane at A2, too, which is closer to what he's done.

Oh ok that makes sense, I guess my point mainly is that watching the video, you can see how stiff his arms are, which usually leads to manipulating the face angle throughout rather than letting the natural motion of your arms dictate it. It makes sense that A2 in that video is ok, but I have a feeling if he let his arms relax a bit more, the face angle would improve dramatically.

But it sounds like you fixed a majority of your problems Jimbo, it'd be great to see a video of the new swing.

Just to add to what Erik said ;-)

@Jimbo Slice , if you are looking for an instructor, I would highly recommend Mario Bevilacqua at TPC Summerlin.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!