IGNORED

2012 US Open at Olympic Club Discussion Thread

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

Yet it does seem unreasonable to suggest that someone is a dimwit based on choosing a poor course strategy.  That's what was in debate.  If that's the case, someone email Nobel because we just figured out what makes someone smart.

You may see it that way, but I think a lot more went into that assessment of him than just yesterday's course strategy.  I happen to share the view you objected to, and yesterday was only the most recent (by about 10-14 days or so) manifestation of it.  No big deal if we disagree, though.

Originally Posted by ScT1

I figure Michael Thompson has no chance of repeating his short game and putting performance of yesterday.

David Toms seemed to think the same of his game.  He said something about having to play much better because he missed fairways and he can't expect his short game to save him as much as it did yesterday.

• Upvote 1

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I figure Michael Thompson has no chance of repeating his short game and putting performance of yesterday.

Didn't see any of his round, but he must've had some luck here and there. 7 birdies and 8 GIR. He won't put that round together again anytime soon. Good play though.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jamo

Yes but Westwood is +3. Set up perfectly for his annual backdoor top 10!

I think +3 is a great position for Westwood; especailly after the start he had.  Furthermore, Westwood will be playing in the moring today with the assumption that the course will be a bit more forgiving than his afternoon tee time yesterday.

Conversely, the majority of players on the leadboard after day 1 tee'd off in the morning yesterday.  It'll be easy to assume that those same players will come back to the pack when they all tee it up this afternoon.

So if Westwood can shoot (-1) or EVEN shoot par and remain at +3, he'll be in good shape for the weekend.  In Westwood's head, he had a crack at the course yesterday without TOO much damage and a second shot at it today during the moring probably has him anxious to get out there and put down a good score.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

• Administrator
Yet it does seem unreasonable to suggest that someone is a dimwit based on choosing a poor course strategy.  That's what was in debate.  If that's the case, someone email Nobel because we just figured out what makes someone smart.

I think there's a lot more evidence out there to suggest it than his course strategy at one tournament... that's all I'm sayin'. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So far I would have to think that anyone at 3 or 4 over will have a chance to win the Open.  I think Thompson will falter today and fall back to E.  The lead today may be -2

I need Luke Donald to put together a -10 round so I can get that driver.  It's starting to seem like a long shot...

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Yep, Westwood, Graem McDowell (-1), Furyk (Even) and Watney (-1) are all teeing off around 7:30am and can really be well positioned after Friday.

I heard Michael Thompson at the podium talking about how he knows he can't repeat this and that he's happy to be here, and I threw my hands up and said, "this guy will be done after 9 holes tomorrow."

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

I think +3 is a great position for Westwood; especailly after the start he had.  Furthermore, Westwood will be playing in the moring today with the assumption that the course will be a bit more forgiving than his afternoon tee time yesterday.

Conversely, the majority of players on the leadboard after day 1 tee'd off in the morning yesterday.  It'll be easy to assume that those same players will come back to the pack when they all tee it up this afternoon.

So if Westwood can shoot (-1) or EVEN shoot par and remain at +3, he'll be in good shape for the weekend.  In Westwood's head, he had a crack at the course yesterday without TOO much damage and a second shot at it today during the moring probably has him anxious to get out there and put down a good score.

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Unsurprisingly Westwood, Donald and McIlroy have been sacked as the Marquee group this morning, Furyk, Garcia and GMac instead!

what a bore it was yesterday watching 1, 2, and 3.  it was almost like they were on their way to a funeral.  no life, or motivation whatsoever; they just seemed helpless almost, aside from lee.

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

I need Luke Donald to put together a -10 round so I can get that driver.  It's starting to seem like a long shot...

I hear ya ... Rory is killing me

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

what a bore it was yesterday watching 1, 2, and 3.  it was almost like they were on their way to a funeral.  no life, or motivation whatsoever; they just seemed helpless almost, aside from lee.

It got to midnight here, they were all at 4 over (i think), I thought time for bed, they're done.

Obviously, any port in a storm - lets go Rosey!

Originally Posted by topspin4hand

I heard Michael Thompson at the podium talking about how he knows he can't repeat this and that he's happy to be here, and I threw my hands up and said, "this guy will be done after 9 holes tomorrow."

I was shocked when I heard him say that to!  What a way to completely disregard positive reinforcement.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I've never seen a ball ricochet off the cut of the primary rough on a 2nd hop (and spinning that direction) and go the other direction back into the fairway.  Something tells me Graeme is going to be in this tournament for the long haul, getting those kinds of breaks (and after the way that putt lipped in).

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

FWIW, Rory, Lee, and Luke are the second marquee group, on ESPN3.com: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/source/espn3/id/480617/

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

McDowell is looking pretty good out there. Hitting fairways, greens and making birdies. Not the most flamboyant player out there, but he can be very consistent and knows how to play a big tournament.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by jamo

FWIW, Rory, Lee, and Luke are the second marquee group, on ESPN3.com: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/source/espn3/id/480617/

awesome. Im triple screening it at work. I was just watching the one group at usopen.com

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Note: This thread is 4476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!