IGNORED

2012 US Open at Olympic Club Discussion Thread

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Aquaguru

Does anyone know what clubs Andy Xzang (spelling?) uses.  I'm interested to see what a 14 year old uses

Not completely sure, but I thought I saw him finish one of his swings with a Nike VR blade slung over his shoulder.  Couldn't tell what number iron it was.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Aquaguru

Does anyone know what clubs Andy Xzang (spelling?) uses.  I'm interested to see what a 14 year old uses

i know he was working with david leadbetter leading up to qualifying.  leadbetter doesn't play that cavity back bs; i'm guessing they're muscle backs all the way.  nothing like being 14 and wearing out a sweet spot the size of a postage stamp.

joking aside, i have no idea.

Googling his name and looking at images. Looks like R11s, some rocketballz woods/hybrid and some blades. In the second image they sort of look like Razr X muscle backs. Anyone else wondering if he has gotten 10k hours of practice in?

36698_lg.jpg

img19346410.jpg

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

i know he was working with david leadbetter leading up to qualifying.  leadbetter doesn't play that cavity back bs; i'm guessing they're muscle backs all the way.  nothing like being 14 and wearing out a sweet spot the size of a postage stamp.

joking aside, i have no idea.

Originally Posted by x129

Googling his name and looking at images. Looks like R11s, some rocketballz woods/hybrid and some blades. In the second image they sort of look like Razr X muscle backs. Anyone else wondering if he has gotten 10k hours of practice in?

LOL.. I don't think he was been on the planet for 10k hours yet!

Thompson with one bogey and now he's in the rough off the tee.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by zipazoid

LOL.. I don't think he was been on the planet for 10k hours yet!

Ha ... barely.  If he started golfing when he was 6 and change, and has played 5 hours a day, five days a week, with no big breaks then he could be there.  That seems unlikely to me, but you never know.

If the theory is true though, that means he's got a high ceiling.

I know he's "only" 17, but I am more impressed with the Beau Hossler kid (probably a little baised cuz he's local).

Thompson with one bogey and now he's in the rough off the tee.

Now Thompson choking hard, and with that nice par save Tiger could be only one back of the lead after this hole.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Random question:  These fairways are mowed so tight like greens such that drives roll downhill (Bubba's just rolled 30 yards sideways and backwards) and oftentimes into the first cut of rough and even into the primary cut of rough.

When they are showing the stats for fairways hit at the end of the day, do balls in the first cut count toward a fairway hit?

Tiger is obviously Tiger, and very may well extend his lead, but Furyk is sure sittin' pretty in the clubhouse under par right now.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Random question:  These fairways are mowed so tight like greens such that drives roll downhill (Bubba's just rolled 30 yards sideways and backwards) and oftentimes into the first cut of rough and even into the primary cut of rough.

When they are showing the stats for fairways hit at the end of the day, do balls in the first cut count toward a fairway hit?

No they don't.  Which is why they kept saying Tiger's stats were "misleading" yesterday.  Because he missed a few fairways into the intermediate cut but not the primary, and a couple greens he missed were barely on the fringe.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Tiger is obviously Tiger, and very may well extend his lead, but Furyk is sure sittin' pretty in the clubhouse under par right now.

I agree ... Colsaerts, McDowell, and Peterson (all in the clubhouse at +1) are quite possibly going to be tied for third tonight.

No they don't.  Which is why they kept saying Tiger's stats were "misleading" yesterday.  Because he missed a few fairways into the intermediate cut but not the primary, and a couple greens he missed were barely on the fringe.

Funny.  The stats are definitely misleading then cuz Bubba's ball just hit the far left edge of the fairway (on a cut no less) and ended up in the right rough.

Of course, then you have Tiger hitting an iron into the flat part of the fairway and it holds.  Somebody wasn't kidding yesterday about sticking to his game plan ... he sures looks "on."

Only 5 days a week? only 5 hours a day? And what is with this starting at 6 crap.You don't want to miss those 5 prime development years. I have to assume he is an early maturer (i.e. he isn't going to grow 6 more inches) but it is still crazy.  I do feel a bit bad for Hossler. In other years (like last year) he would have been a bigger story. I hope they both keep developing. A chinese super star would be huge for the sport and another american to compete with the Europeans young kids would also help out.

Quote:

Ha ... barely.  If he started golfing when he was 6 and change, and has played 5 hours a day, five days a week, with no big breaks then he could be there.  That seems unlikely to me, but you never know.

If the theory is true though, that means he's got a high ceiling.

I know he's "only" 17, but I am more impressed with the Beau Hossler kid (probably a little baised cuz he's local).

And theres the change to the top

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Funny.  The stats are definitely misleading then cuz Bubba's ball just hit the far left edge of the fairway (on a cut no less) and ended up in the right rough.

Of course, then you have Tiger hitting an iron into the flat part of the fairway and it holds.  Somebody wasn't kidding yesterday about sticking to his game plan ... he sures looks "on."

Yes, and the game plan is interesting.  Apparently while Bubba did pull one iron so far for a tee shot on a par 4, he still pulled driver on one of the toughest fairways to hit.  Now, more to my point (and I won't harp on it too much after this):  He took a huge risk and it ended up in the fairway, 25-30 yards ahead of Tiger/Phil.  It resulted in a par from roughly 5 or so feet closer to the hole than Tiger/Phil, but by no means a probable birdie.  That risk/reward just isn't worth it IMO, at least not for a player who was in contention.  And even for somebody who is well out of it, I believe being in the fairway is more important than being closer to the green.

Originally Posted by x129

I do feel a bit bad for Hossler. In other years (like last year) he would have been a bigger story.

Well, if he keeps playing like he is now [HE IS LEADING THE TOURNAMENT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!] then I am pretty sure we will get our fill of his story tonight.

Ouch!  Horrible break for Tiger with his ball catching in the rough on the top lip of the bunker.

Tiger is going to have to earn it today

Who cares about Tiger right now, THERE IS A 17 YEAR OLD TIED FOR THE LEAD!

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Note: This thread is 4476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!