IGNORED

Hybrids...are they out of control?

Traditionalist
Note: This thread is 4344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love hybrids, but alot of super game improvement long irons are really getting close to Hybrid with out being a hybrid. There soles are geting larger to cut through the rought, they have very low COG's, and alot of Perimeter weighting. If you don't like a hybrid look at address, just go buy a super game improvement long iron. Your not really looking to hit that shot to a precise spot on the green anyways, just get something that you can hit confidently and with a good gap.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what the OP means by "out of control".  Does that mean you think they are overused/overhyped?  There is no doubt that for most recreational players, a hybrid is easier to hit than a long iron (I actually use a 3 and 4 hybrid, a 5 is the longest iron in my bag).

I'm sure there are some players (particularly the better ones I imagine) who prefer a 3-iron to a hybrid.  But the fact that most amateurs use hyrids nowadays doesn't mean they are "out of control".  They are simply easier to hit which makes the game more enjoyable for weekend hackers.

Don't take this the wrong way but why do people seem so proud of not being able to hit a hybrid? When I couldn't hit my driver or 4 iron, I considered that a swing flaw that needed to be fixed. I understand not gaming one if you don't need it (i.e. you long irons go high enough and long enough) but if I couldn't hit one I would be worried about what is wrong with my swing. YMMV

Originally Posted by ZAhacker

I honestly cannot hit a hybrid to save my life. I hate the things.

My best shots dont go anywhere and often my fade or draw is magnified with a hybrid. "does anyone else have this problem"?

Give me a 4i cavity for 200m-220m then i can use my 3 wood after that.

Originally Posted by Traditionalist

play perimeter weighted irons from Ping (G15's) and cannot figure for the life of me how someone would not be able to hit the modern 3 or 4 iron with its perimiter weighting, moi, etc.

For me the hybrids are much easier to hit out of bad lies than even the GI long irons like you play.

Butch

Too bad nobody got a chance to welcome the OP to the forum before he got crapped on.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Too bad nobody got a chance to welcome the OP to the forum before he got crapped on.

No one did any such thing until after his hissy fit.

dak4n6

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I suppose that's the chance you take when you make your very first post on a forum one that questions a club many players see as integral to their setup, especially when your own club setup and username ooze irony.

If he'd started by trashing iron covers he'd already be on my friends list.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I suppose that's the chance you take when you make your very first post on a forum one that questions a club many players see as integral to their setup, especially when your own club setup and username ooze irony.

LOL what's wrong with iron covers?

I have them because my clubs don't leave my trunk unless being cleaned, going to a range or heading to the tee box. At this point the removing of the cover on my iron is just part of my preshot routine. Helps me keep focus/refocus or something, I can't really explain it I guess...

Not sure how you could be playing PING G15s and call yourself a traditionalist. Hybrids are what they are, but your username is fraudulent.

That's gonna leave a mark.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Timothy Voyles

I have them because my clubs don't leave my trunk unless being cleaned, going to a range or heading to the tee box. At this point the removing of the cover on my iron is just part of my preshot routine. Helps me keep focus/refocus or something, I can't really explain it I guess...

I recently bought a set with my Ci11's. I dont care who does or doesn't like them, I paid 700$ for a new set of irons, and im going to keep them in the best shape I can.

Im like you, the clubs stay in my truck most of the time when i'm not playing. I find the covers save a ton of 'clanking' noises. from clubs hitting together. Every other club has a cover, why shouldn't my irons? I've never had a comment about them one way or the other, so I guess most people dont care. Just a few people here who are too cool for em.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Ever seen a guy with iron covers on his set of blades.  Funny as hell!!!!

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Quote:

I recently bought a set with my Ci11's. I dont care who does or doesn't like them, I paid 700$ for a new set of irons, and im going to keep them in the best shape I can.

Im like you, the clubs stay in my truck most of the time when i'm not playing. I find the covers save a ton of 'clanking' noises. from clubs hitting together. Every other club has a cover, why shouldn't my irons? I've never had a comment about them one way or the other, so I guess most people dont care. Just a few people here who are too cool for em.

Nobody really cares if you use iron covers as long as you're not slowing anyone down. I golfed with a lady who used iron covers and left her woods uncovered. That was strange. Woods are painted and they get easily dented, but I didn't comment to her or anyone that I thought it was bass ackwards. It's her choice. BTW, yes I'm "too cool" for iron covers, bead counters, kilties on my shoes, a plaid golf beret with a pom, plus fours, belly putters, gloves, brush tees, and countless other things. What other people do though is up to them.,

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

How the hell could a cover slow anyone down? Be realistic.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

1) fair enough, he did set himself up for it, but you don't have to jump on him with both feet.

2) Iron covers are very metrosexual...;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

why does having clubs in your car mean you need iron covers?  cause they get tossed around?  i leave mine in my car exclusively and i never get any dings or anything from them riding in the trunk.  iron covers seem like a pain to me.  though i might change my mind if/when i get some nice mizuno's....

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Probably not at all for people with good etiquette but if your already not playing ready golf I can see it being a nightmare having to follow someone with 14 clubs and 14 head covers. I have head covers for my woods, hybrids and putter but I strip'em all on the first tee and don't put them back on until I'm headed for the parking lot.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I much prefer my long irons over comparable hybrids. I hit my 3 and 4 irons very well, and would hate to have to replace them with a hybrid. I used a 3 hybrid for a short time before I found my 3 iron (set came 4-GW), and hated the club. It seemed to produce inconsistent distances and high hooks, which I never do with any other club. I do still have a hybrid in the bag, however its an 18* Pro Black that I use as a 2 iron. It's not much bigger than an iron, has consistent 2 iron distance with a lowlaunch...great for those windy days. It is growing on me, but if there was a matching 2 iron for my set, the hybrid would be gone so quick.

As for others, some of these modern day sets are getting silly IMO. Hybrids up to the 6/7 iron, hybrid wedges (Cleveland Niblick), soon there won't be any irons left. But what others play, doesn't affect me, so I don't care...as long as I can still get the clubs I want to play.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

If you're surprised that having an extra couple of steps in a person's pre and post shot routine could delay the process, then I should introduce you to a couple turtles in our league.

Note: This thread is 4344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!