IGNORED

How "legit" is your best round?

trackster
Note: This thread is 4304 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since getting back into golf in February of this year my best score was an 87. I remember just writing down how many strokes I had on each hole, not even adding them up until I finished 18. I finished with the same ball I started with, played the ball right where it laid every time. When I added up the score at the end my first thought was that I added wrong so I added again, and again, reviewed each hole in my mind and yep 87. Good for me....

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

It just frustrates me (I started a whole thread on it awhile back - "Reverse Sandbagging", because I didn't yet know the term vanity cap) because he guarantees a bad day every time before we start.  Because he has this handicap that says 20, he expects that he should be shooting well enough to reach it.  Of course, he isn't a 20 - something closer to 35 if he played by the rules I would guess - and thus never plays up to the standard he sets for himself.  I have come to accept the fact that while we are golfing, he will be pissed most of the time and thats all there is to it.  I still just wish that he would learn to accept that he's a 35, and base his expectations off of that, because if he did, he might actually enjoy playing again.

Yeah sometimes people get too caught up in what they are shooting and forget to just have fun and enjoy it.  My Dad usually shoots right around 100 but can have some really off days where he will go up to 115+ every now and then.  He always starts getting frustrated but then by the end of the day he is usually laughing at his terrible shots just trying to have a good time.

I think golf gets the best of almost everyone's temper at some point especially when you have high expectations going into a round.  Your entire round can be ruined after hole number 1.

My best round ever was totally legit.  74, strictly by the book.  That was all because of my best 9 ever too, 33 on the back!  Was feeling good through 7, then bogeyed 8 and 9 to card a 41 on the front, feeling disappointed at having to shoot extra good on the back to break 80 for the first time, then proceed to slice a drive into the trees on the right on the short par 5 10th that I was hoping to birdie to make up a stroke.  Find my ball, have a super tight little window between two trees, hit a perfect 2h ~210 to 5 feet below the hole, make the eagle putt, on my way to a 33 back nine and a 74 total.

That was a few years ago and have only broken 80 a couple times since then, and never come close to 74 again!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My home course best was a 42, and it was in competition, so obviously it was 100% legit. 6 bogeys and 3 pars.... A pretty boring 42.

In my  taylormade.gif Stratus Stand bag

Driver:  taylormade.gif 10.5* 2009 Burner

3 Wood: taylormade.gif 2008 Burner

3 Hybrid: taylormade.gif 2008 Burner

Ironstaylormade.gif  Burner 1.0 4-AW

Wedge: Cleveland CG15  56*

Putter:  taylormade.gif Rossa Monza Spider Vicino

Ball Callaway HX Diablo Tour

You're not talking about the 6th hole at Rancho San Joaquin by any chance, are you?

I hate that 2nd lake on right side....keep eating my balls....

sorry, off topic

Driver: Mizuno MP-630 10.5* S-Flex

Irons: 4-6 Mizuno JPX 800 S-Flex, 7-P Mizuno MP-58 S-Flex

Wedge: Mizuno MP-10 56*

Putter: Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2

Ball: Gamer V2, Q-Star, e-6

Originally Posted by trackster

I am not sure why you are beating a dead horse, but I guess it floats your boat.  I can see why it says grumpy under your name.

It seems you don't get what I mean.

I don't like cheats and liars. Simple. But I don't mind people who are unknowingly unaware or have misunderstandings.

You started a thread asking how legitimate players' scores are.

You then say that you had a score of 84 but admit that it wasn't legitimate. You didn't say that you stupidly kidded yourself that you had had a best score of 84. You claimed it as a best score you have equalled legitimately. ???????How does that work? Like the 9.1 seconds I ran for the 100 metres that was really an 11.8 but beaten by a legitimate 13.5? Seriously. WTF?

My point is not a semantic one or a petulant one or a grumpy one.

I am merely asking how it is possible to say that you have had a score that you haven't had. Why not just count the strokes?

I don't care about beginners taking preferred lies or giving themselves putts or not knowing the rules. I don't care.

What I DO care about is people saying that have done somethingt that they haven't. I accept that you have changed your ways, but you are essentially asking if people cheat.

My position is and alkways has been the same: Do whatever you like on a golf cours. BUT IF you are scorig, you are scoring, not saying you had x when you had y. I still haven't had an explanation .

Why wouldn't someone say "I had a good round going bit I stuffed up the 17th. That ruined what might have been close to my PB." Instead, you are starting from a position where you assume that many "best scores" are illegitimate. You are right - it seems they aren't.

Maybe I am hung up on this because I only play golf where others are marking my card and I might play one round every three years which is not a competition. That's the way most club members play in Australia.

It peeves me that social golfers claim results they have not achieved almost as much as when they claim that it doesn't imply fundamental dishonesty.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're not a tournament you're only cheating yourself. Therefore, I do not fix my score.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

You're not talking about the 6th hole at Rancho San Joaquin by any chance, are you?

No Its like the 15th at los amigos in downey. Fun little course by my work when I wanna finish 18 and only 20 dollars to ride. I have been meaning to play rancho san Joaquin though. I have seen you mention it a few times and I keep meaning to play there. I live fairly close. Ill watch out for that 6th

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Originally Posted by Shorty

It seems you don't get what I mean.

I don't like cheats and liars. Simple. But I don't mind people who are unknowingly unaware or have misunderstandings.

You started a thread asking how legitimate players' scores are.

You then say that you had a score of 84 but admit that it wasn't legitimate. You didn't say that you stupidly kidded yourself that you had had a best score of 84. You claimed it as a best score you have equalled legitimately. ???????How does that work? Like the 9.1 seconds I ran for the 100 metres that was really an 11.8 but beaten by a legitimate 13.5? Seriously. WTF?

My point is not a semantic one or a petulant one or a grumpy one.

I am merely asking how it is possible to say that you have had a score that you haven't had. Why not just count the strokes?

I don't care about beginners taking preferred lies or giving themselves putts or not knowing the rules. I don't care.

What I DO care about is people saying that have done somethingt that they haven't. I accept that you have changed your ways, but you are essentially asking if people cheat.

My position is and alkways has been the same: Do whatever you like on a golf cours. BUT IF you are scorig, you are scoring, not saying you had x when you had y. I still haven't had an explanation .

Why wouldn't someone say "I had a good round going bit I stuffed up the 17th. That ruined what might have been close to my PB." Instead, you are starting from a position where you assume that many "best scores" are illegitimate. You are right - it seems they aren't.

Maybe I am hung up on this because I only play golf where others are marking my card and I might play one round every three years which is not a competition. That's the way most club members play in Australia.

It peeves me that social golfers claim results they have not achieved almost as much as when they claim that it doesn't imply fundamental dishonesty.

Considering you have been the only one to take this topic to heart I feel like others got the topic.  Anyways what don't you get?  I shot an 84 taking an OB as a lateral hazard.  It was my best 18 and a tainted one.  At that point in my golf career, I believe I honestly thought that was how you score OB.  A year later I shot 84 from the tips without any illegitimacy to it.  If you would read all of my post instead of what you want to read, you would notice that I said I am guessing that most scores are legit, however there might have been something (for example a ruling that you were unsure of) that caused it to be tainted.  Such as my 38 when I played a wrong ball that was the same brand as the one I was playing, that was laying in the same area.  Instead of being grumpy you could have committed a story to this topic like everyone else, or stayed out of it.

Considering you have been the only one to take this topic to heart I feel like others got the topic.  Anyways what don't you get?  I shot an 84 taking an OB as a lateral hazard.

The bit in bold is what I don't get.

There is no way that I can comprehend it.

You didn't shoot 84. Simple.

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

No Its like the 15th at los amigos in downey. Fun little course by my work when I wanna finish 18 and only 20 dollars to ride. I have been meaning to play rancho san Joaquin though. I have seen you mention it a few times and I keep meaning to play there. I live fairly close. Ill watch out for that 6th

Don't expect too much from it, it's just a cheap muni and you get what you pay for ... I just happen to play well there usually so I am particularly fond of it.

But that 6th hole is weird because its flat and wide open, yet has a big water hazard that is virtually invisible.  It's the only time I will offer unsolicited advice to people if I know they've never played there before.

Ohh I get what you are saying, I shouldn't even say I shot an 84 taking a lateral hazard.  I should say I took an incomplete round by playing a wrong ruling.

But if you read the next 3 sentences its pretty darn clear what his position is.  There is nothing not to get.  Simple.

Ohh I get what you are saying, I shouldn't even say I shot an 84 taking a lateral hazard.  I should say I took an incomplete round by playing a wrong ruling.

Probably something like that. I wouldn't claim any score at all.

My best round is 75 but I was by myself so I left the flag stick in and therefore technically I should have taken a penalty on almost every hole.

• Upvote 1

:whistle:

Probably something like that. I wouldn't claim any score at all.

This might not apply to you since you said that you play only tournaments, but I am pretty sure that everyone has hit an ugly shot and then proceeded to drop another ball and prove to themselves that they can make that shot, and then proceeded to play that ugly shot and pick up the good shot, kind of like a one shot practice.  Do you think that this is enough to where they should not post that round.

This might not apply to you since you said that you play only tournaments, but I am pretty sure that everyone has hit an ugly shot and then proceeded to drop another ball and prove to themselves that they can make that shot, and then proceeded to play that ugly shot and pick up the good shot, kind of like a one shot practice.  Do you think that this is enough to where they should not post that round.

I know what you mean, and in the average social game I understand it - but I think that a round has a beginning and an end and should not be interrupted by mulligans and gimmes and dropped balls. Practice is practice. If you are combining the two, you shouldn't score.

You might be surprised at how much more you enjoy your game if, even when playing socially you omnly hit one ball and don't replay shots except maybe a putt or two after you've holed out, which is permissable.  The whole round is an entity in itself and has a rhythm which should not be impeded by mulligans etc.

There is nothing in golf more satisfying than finishing a round where you had a decent score going and held it together over the last few holes without mucking up. You can't experience that unless you score properly.

There is nothing in golf more satisfying than finishing a round where you had a decent score going and held it together over the last few holes without mucking up. You can't experience that unless you score properly.

This is very true.

Note: This thread is 4304 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!