IGNORED

At what point do you begin to move back?

Chris Stewart
Note: This thread is 4322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I started playing from the back right off this year after a 12 plus year hiatus, mostly because I didn't know any better.  The course I play at is only a nine hole course.  If you're going to play 18 you play the first nine from the whites and the second from the blues.  With all the balls I've lost so far this year, however, maybe I should just play all 18 from up front.

Like most others have said, moving one tee back doesn't make that much difference in most cases - a 9i vs PW, or 6i vs 7i. Whatever. It's staying out of trouble that makes or breaks your scorecard.

As soon as I find myself striking the ball reasonably well, I move back (didn't happen until June this season, as I was pull-hooking during most of the spring). Also, it gives you a nice confidence boost when you put a good round together from the tips.

dak4n6

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart

I was talking to someone today about my round yesterday where I broke 90 for the first time. When I mentioned I played from the white tees, he suggested that I be moving back to get more accurate scores. I obviously realize an 87 from the white tees isn't an 87 from the blues or blacks. I also reminded him how the difference in tees is factored into the rating/slope for each set. I know I'll need to move back eventually, but as a 22 hcp I don't think I'm there yet.

When he said that, especially since I've been wondering when I should start moving back, I decided to go through the card from yesterday and evaluate the differences in par 3s and approach shots on 4s. Here's the card from yesterday: Providence Golf Club. Moving from the whites to the blues would go from 66.1/122 at 5,600 yards to 69.1/129 at 6,100 yards. The average par 4 approach shot would go from ~110-130 yards on the whites to ~125-150 yards on the blues. This assumes I get a solid drive and hit my distance of 250 yards (normal range of 220-250). The longer par 3s would put me in 4i and 5w range on the blues, from 5i and 6i on the whites. The par 5s wouldn't change at all really. I'm always playing those conservatively (except #8, which I get around the fringe in 2) and generally hit 1w, 7i/9i, and AW to the green.

I think in the case of this course, I'm going to play the blues next time and see how it goes. What would you do or suggest? Do you feel there's a clear point in which you begin moving back and eventually reach the back tees?

http://www.playgolfamerica.com/index.cfm?action=teeitforward

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[URL=http://www.playgolfamerica.com/index.cfm?action=teeitforward]http://www.playgolfamerica.com/index.cfm?action=teeitforward[/URL]

I've been playing by that concept and agree with it. I do want to start playing friendly tournaments around here at some point soon, and I'm assuming they'll force everyone to play from the back tees. Anyone know if that's correct, or if generally it's played from whatever you feel comfortable with?

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

At my course scrambles and other 'friendly' tournaments are played from the whites and reds, but member tourneys and of course the club championship are played from the tips.

dak4n6

Some courses suggest which tee boxes to play according to your HDCP. One course I play recommends this for male golfers:

• 0 - 7 Black  6787  72.2 / 126
  • 8 - 14 Blue  6407  70.3 / 124
  • 15 +  White 5782  67.3 / 114

Course is Par 72. Some have suggested a set between blue and white that would come in about 6,050 yards.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• Administrator

Here are a few ideas. Move back when:

• The yardage of your current tees is shorter than 36 * 5I Distance (the distance you hit your 5-iron, so if it goes 175, that's 36 * 175 = 6300 yards).
  • You can break 80 from the tees you're playing.
  • Your drives tend to fly all of the fairway hazards all the time.
  • You can score reasonably well hitting 3W and hybrid all day off the tee.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Here are a few ideas. Move back when:

The yardage of your current tees is shorter than 36 * 5I Distance (the distance you hit your 5-iron, so if it goes 175, that's 36 * 175 = 6300 yards).

You can break 80 from the tees you're playing.

Your drives tend to fly all of the fairway hazards all the time.

You can score reasonably well hitting 3W and hybrid all day off the tee.

I have heard that 36 x 5i before but that almost doesnt seem right. I hit my 5 about 190 and its something I feel should be a little longer and 175 seems really short.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Jimdangles

I have heard that 36 x 5i before but that almost doesnt seem right. I hit my 5 about 190 and its something I feel should be a little longer and 175 seems really short.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying.

36 * 190 = 6840... so if you're playing tees that are significantly shorter than 6840, move back.

175 was just an example. If someone hits their 5I 175 and is playing tees that are 5900, move back because 5900 << 6300.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

using the 5 iron theory may not work as well in todays world since some of the marketing geniuses for some of the manufacturers have made the modern day 5 iron the equivalent of yesterdays 3

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by iacas

I'm not sure I get what you're saying.

36 * 190 = 6840... so if you're playing tees that are significantly shorter than 6840, move back.

175 was just an example. If someone hits their 5I 175 and is playing tees that are 5900, move back because 5900 << 6300.

ya 6840 to me feels very long. most courses I play are about 6500 from the blues and most of the championship tees are around the 7000 range and that theory says that I am probably ready for that when I am not sure thats the case. IDK I just tend to question just about everything. Sounds about right I guess. Distance isn't really my problem as much as consistency.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

I was just about to make a topic on this same exact question... creepy.

I'm assuming I should be playing from the blues since I've broken 80 and drive the ball 260+ consistently?

You've broken 80 and drive 260+ and carry a 15 handicap?  Was it a 4500 yard par 64 or something?  Or do you really average around 90 and just had a ridiculous day?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

To the OP, you hit 5i 190 and only drive 220-250?  That seems weird to me. I hit my 5i (26˚) 190-195, and even my off the sweet spot drives carry 250.  Anyway, if your non mishit drive go 250 and your 5i goes 190 then those white tees are WAY too short for you.  You should be aiming for ~6500 yard tees at least.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

To the OP, you hit 5i 190 and only drive 220-250?  That seems weird to me. I hit my 5i (26˚) 190-195, and even my off the sweet spot drives carry 250.  Anyway, if your non mishit drive go 250 and your 5i goes 190 then those white tees are WAY too short for you.  You should be aiming for ~6500 yard tees at least.

Not sure where that 190 came from. I hit my 5i 155 yards.

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

220 - 250 off the tee? 6100 should be a fun distance for you. Unless there is some odd/crazy carry distance requirement, 6100-6300 plays fun and challenging for guys who drive it like you -- my Saturday group. We used to play 6500 but the par 3's were too long for some guys. I find the 6100 setup sporty and fun. I play both 6500 and 6100 when I play alone. ( of 18 holes play very different from the different tees. So it like have two courses.)

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

IMO it depends on how you drive. If you are long and consistent, moving back should'nt affect scores much unless you are also poor with 4-6 irons. If you absolutely cant drive past 220 or so, cant see how playing from the tips would ever be reasonable.

Originally Posted by mdl

You've broken 80 and drive 260+ and carry a 15 handicap?  Was it a 4500 yard par 64 or something?  Or do you really average around 90 and just had a ridiculous day?

No I really do. I just got my new driver a few weeks ago which I'm hitting very consistently. My highest score this year is a 93 (two of them).

My main problem is the first few holes... every time I go out the first few holes I'm +4 or +6 through. It really kills my round.

My previous best was an 86 (which I've shot three times). It was a good day, but it really wasn't all that good. I had a few doubles, but there were a few holes where I had great up and downs.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Note: This thread is 4322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!