IGNORED

New to golf. Any advice?

uclaball21
Note: This thread is 4262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11hr workdays.....I can't blame you for not playing more.  I used to go to local golf courses and chip-putt on the practice green.  Even if it's just 15- 30 minutes a couple times a week....it'll make a difference in your short game.  Good Luck...

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

There's been some great debates as to which to practice more, long-game or short-game (I'll put putting is a separate category).  While there's more than one way to "skin a cat"--sorry for the analogy to all the PETA supporters out there, confusion stems from the interpretation of what construes the long-game.  The association is that it's just about hitting the longer clubs (driver, woods, etc).  It's not.  Long-game is anything that involves a full swing.  So, a full swing SW that goes 90 yards or a full swing LW that goes 75 yards, can be considered part of the long-game.

The reason why I suggest spending the bulk of your practice time to learning the full swing is because it is more complicated, so it's more difficult to learn and master.  From there, once you have a fairly solid full swing, learning partial swings to become adept at the short-game becomes easier.  There are studies and statistics that show the major scoring differentials between the various levels of golfers (pro, scratch, mid, high) tends to be in the "long-game".  Now, I'm sure that there are those that feel their full swing is close to a single-digit player and the major reason why they have a 15 handicap is due to their lack of short-game and putting skills.  And, for some, that may very well be the case.  However, for the vast majority of golfers, it's not.  It's reversed.  Generally speaking, if you have 60 minutes a day to practice, spend 35 mins on the full swing, 15 mins on the short-game, and 10 mins on putting.

Lastly, while hitting balls is a requirement, don't fall under the illusion that it's simply about quantity.  Quality is every bit as important if not more.  For instance, going out to hit 200 balls with your 7 iron for an hour will not be as beneficial as say hitting 100 balls or less with a variety of clubs where you focus on the components of your swing so that each swing yields quality ballstriking (contact, direction and distance).  Too often, I'll go out with some buds and they'll hit bucket after bucket where they only remember the good shots.  Then, they go to the course and wonder how they just topped both their drive and approach shot.  Inevitably, they get upset because "they were hitting the ball so well at the range."  I usually reply, "You did hit some great shots at the range, but you also hit some stinkers.  So, if your swing is capable of producing a series of good shots and a series of bad shots, why does it surprise you when you hit a series of bad shots on the course?"

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

putt for show and drive for dough.

You can win a tournament with a bad putter, but you can't win a tournament with a bad driver. - Johnny Miller

I think all that short game hocus pocus is over used.

Never line up your puts.  Play fast.  Have fun.  repeat

Originally Posted by Fore Left

Play EARLY in the morning on the weekends when you can.....  peaceful,  and more importantly,  if you're not already,  walk the course, and leave the golf-carts to those who aren't athletic.

You'll find yourself playing better golf if you walk vs. ride.

That's a pretty ignorant statement. Have you ever played golf in Arizona? On desert courses, some of the holes can be 1/4 mile from green to next tee box. Plus the elevation changes. Plus the terrain, crossing desert washes that have jumping cholla and snakes. All this and 110 degree weather as well.

I like to walk too, but it isn't always feasible. And a lot of the courses here, you aren't allowed to walk. And I'm plenty athletic.

See the picture in my avatar.... go ahead and walk across that 150 yard carry to the fairway. Be sure and have hiking boots, heavy pants, and a first aid kit with you.

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Get off at 6, get home, eat, get to the course by 7, play 9 holes, even once a week, and watch your game improve steadily. It does take practice and hard work to get better though. I've worked harder at this than I did even Hockey growing up. And still, I have my bad days, very very bad. But I have a lot more good days. Practice makes perfect, and playing is practice.

What time does the sun go down in your part of Canada?  I live in Texas and get off of work at 7.  By the time I get home and eat the only place that I can go is the lighted driving range, with a truly horrible putting green.

I do agree with everyone who said to work on the short game.  I've been doing that for a while now and have lowered my scores by quite a bit, although overall my game is a lot better than it was when I restarted as a golfer a little more than a year ago.

What I think should be...
The First Fundamental Theorem of Golf:
The low point of the swing is underneath your target side armpit.
Corollary 1.1 Hit the little ball before the big ball. Hit ball, then ground.
Corollary 1.2 Divot is on target side of ball
Corollary 1.3 Hands are ahead of the ball at impact

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Play by the rules. Don't roll the ball. Don't take mulligans. Putt everything out. Don't develop bad habits that you'll have to break later on. The game is just as much fun, and a LOT more satisfying when played the way it's intended to be played.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Ya for sure. I'm going to putt everything out from now on. I play with a guy who tells me to pick up the ball when I'm close because it makes the game go quicker but I think you are right. If I were to shoot 100 of those I would miss at least one probably about 10 haha.

Something that is obvious, but very important, none the less, build your MENTAL GAME!  Engrave your routines, because once you have those stressful situations, having your routine saves you the time your sitting there thinking too much about the shot.  But, make sure that you are confident about the shot you want to make, block out the "BUT's" from your head as you go up to your ball.  And always be in the moment of the game.  Don't think about, "if I make this shot I'll break 100."  Your scorecard will tell you how you do.  You should be focusing on every shot you take, regardless what type of shot it is.  Every shot counts!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Here's the simple advice that knocked at least 15 strokes (probably more) off my game.. And sadly, I had already been playing for six years before someone said this to me.

"Stick your butt out when you hit. It aligns your spine and allows you to pivot around better."

I thought it was just the guy I was playing with trying to get a funny picture of me. As it turned out, he was being serious. My game got much more competitive after that.

Other than that,

Always use a tee. Even on a 90 yard par 3. If the rules allow for a perfect lie, why not take it?

All putts are one putts. There is no such thing as "I'll get it close with this one, and hit it in with the two putt." - No way! All putts are sinkable. Take your time and line every putt up like the masters depends on it!

Mallet putters are sledge hammers. Just a tap will send the ball sailing.

ALWAYS keep sunblock in your bag.

I'm sure I can think of more.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Originally Posted by uclaball21

Ya for sure. I'm going to putt everything out from now on. I play with a guy who tells me to pick up the ball when I'm close because it makes the game go quicker but I think you are right. If I were to shoot 100 of those I would miss at least one probably about 10 haha.

We do "in the leather" gimmies.
If the ball is closer to the hole than the grip of your putter, than, as far as we are concerned, you are so close that it's near impossible to miss. You still have to take the stroke, but we don't make you actually hit the ball.

For instance, if you are "in the leather" on your third shot, you pick up your ball and score a 4 for that hole. It's a little quicker and it saves on the old spine just a bit. (just a little less bending over)

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

We do "in the leather" gimmies. If the ball is closer to the hole than the grip of your putter, than, as far as we are concerned, you are so close that it's near impossible to miss. You still have to take the stroke, but we don't make you actually hit the ball. For instance, if you are "in the leather" on your third shot, you pick up your ball and score a 4 for that hole. It's a little quicker and it saves on the old spine just a bit. (just a little less bending over)

It's amazing how many of those "near impossible to miss" putts are actually missed when you putt them......

In David's bag....

I just try to play often, and don't get mad at the game.  I almost enjoy bad rounds (for me 105 or more) just as much as good rounds (90-104).  I play with a few people who get mad when they play bad (they are used to scoring in the 80s).  I don't see the fun in that.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

What time does the sun go down in your part of Canada?  I live in Texas and get off of work at 7.  By the time I get home and eat the only place that I can go is the lighted driving range, with a truly horrible putting green.

I do agree with everyone who said to work on the short game.  I've been doing that for a while now and have lowered my scores by quite a bit, although overall my game is a lot better than it was when I restarted as a golfer a little more than a year ago.

Summer, you can golf till about 9:15pm this time of year. If he is on the course by 7, you can get in 9. Obviously not every night, that would be ridiculous. Once a week shouldnt be a problem.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by uclaball21

Thanks for the advice guys. I think the worst part of my game is when I'm in distance of hitting the green like 150 and in. I seem to always push it right or miss the green on the left side.

I can't seem to hit my pitching wedge the right distance haha.

Also do you guys practice on grass at the driving range or hit off the mats. I see all the videos and whatnot all talk about hitting down on the ball and take a divot after the ball. But a lot of the time when I swing I hit the ball then the ground and it's hard for me to follow through. Anyone else have that problem?

I hate ranges with matts. Yes, there is a benefit to a grass range if you can find one. Hitting off a matt just feels different, acts differently, and imo, cuts distance a bit due to lack of compression.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Originally Posted by JerryTimes

I just try to play often, and don't get mad at the game.  I almost enjoy bad rounds (for me 105 or more) just as much as good rounds (90-104).  I play with a few people who get mad when they play bad (they are used to scoring in the 80s).  I don't see the fun in that.

I dunno, I hate playing badly. Not to the point im angry, but a bit upset for sure. below 80, im happy, 80-85, im ok, over 85, I start to get irritated.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Originally Posted by David in FL

It's amazing how many of those "near impossible to miss" putts are actually missed when you putt them......

Hey, leave that guy alone.  Otherwise he will be lining up those 15" putts slowly, as if the masters depended on it.  LOL

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by turtleback

Hey, leave that guy alone.  Otherwise he will be lining up those 15" putts slowly, as if the masters depended on it.  LOL

Not at all.......after all, those putts are nearly impossible to miss!

Funny story.....

A buddy of ours started this silly game 2 years ago.  He plays with me and another close friend, Daron, who plays off of 3.0 and is honestly, one of the best putters I've ever met.  We've taught Tony to play the game properly and his 24 hcp will beat most "bogey golfers" gross like a drum if they were forced to actually play by the rules.....

......we're out there about a year ago and Daron has a slimy little 3 footer with a just a little bit of break.  Not really hard, but the kind you really hope that your oppenent will tell you to pick up in match play.  Makes a good stroke but just a little too firm.  Knocks it through the break and lips out on the high side.  In all seriousness, Tony says, "yep, that's why we putt 'em all out...."

Thought Daron was gonna kill him!

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 4262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!