IGNORED

Maltby or Snake Eyes Irons/Wedges

Note: This thread is 4282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First off, Happy 4th of July to the sandtrap community!

I just had my first clubmaking experience.  I blindly ordered a Snake Eyes putter head, and bought a shaft, grip, and some epoxy.  I made a belly putter and it was a great success!  I'm thinking of doing this as a hobby.

I want to try building some irons and wedges.  Could anyone who's built irons with Snake Eyes and/or Maltby components share their experiences?  Is one better than the other?  Unfortunately, my local Golfsmith doesn't carry Snake Eyes heads in the store, and my local Galaxy doesn't carry Maltby heads in the store.  This is going to be an internet purchase, so anyone who could give a little advice as to the aforementioned brands or any other brands I've missed, it would be greatly appreciated!

I can pick up shafts in the stores, so I don't really need any info about them.

Thanks all!

Tour Edge Exotics XCG-V 10.5*
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-6 15*
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-6 #4

Callaway Razr X Tour 5-AW
Nike VR Pro Forged Brushed Oxide 54-58
Yes! C-Groove Sally-12M Mid Counterbalance

My impression is that Wishon and Maltby are fairly far ahead of the other component brands in terms of both design and quality. The Maltby TE -- particularly -- is a great, classic iron head.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey,

Malty/Golfworks has a very diverse product line. Everything from the finest of forged irons to entry level cast clubs, to shafts and grips.

Great customer service to boot. The TE forged are indeed a fine clubhead. Honestly, you can't go wrong at Golfworks. Their KE4

line up is adjustable for any desired swingweight.

Good luck to you!

I like the Snake Eyes forged offerings but I really can't stand dealing with Golfsmith anymore. Every internet order is an adventure in delays and ineptitude. Golfworks makes some great stuff and I've never had an issue with an online order with them. The Maltby M Series Pro Milled forged wedges are nice heads with a lot of heel relief so they can be opened up  to play different shots. You might also want to look at Hireko golf as they have a lot of wedge offerings

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

Thanks for the responses.  I might be a little partial to Snake Eyes because I had good luck with that putter, and I think Snake Eyes heads are overall better looking.  That being said, I certainly haven't written off Maltby.  Prices seem comparable.

I've never heard of Hireko.  I'll check them out.

Originally Posted by CrazyHorsePete

Thanks for the responses.  I might be a little partial to Snake Eyes because I had good luck with that putter, and I think Snake Eyes heads are overall better looking.  That being said, I certainly haven't written off Maltby.  Prices seem comparable.

Hireko bought out Dynacraft several years ago, and before that UT Golf, I think.  They have some good stuff.

Be careful about going with off name companies. Some of them use very poor quality materials and designs. Maltby, Wishon & Golfsmith are all reliable. Tom Wishon has worked at both companies. That being said, I prefer golfsmith because of their high quality and experience (they invented the component indusfry almost 50 years ago). I currently have a set of snake eyes wedges and like them much better than the callaways i was playing.

My current bag is almost entirely Maltby clubs that I built.  For me, the fact that these clubs have remained in my bag since I built them is a testament to Maltby's design and quality.  Plus, they offer a huge variety of components.  Here's a pic of the clubs I built back when they were a bit newer.  The hybrids and fairway wood are no longer in my bag.

Driver - Cobra Amp Cell/Maltby KE4 V 10.5

FW - Maltby KE4 ST-F 3W

Hybrids - Cobra T-Rail+ 3H and 4H

Irons - Maltby KE4 SS1 4-GW

SW - Cleveland CG16 56*

Putter - Nike Method Core MC02W/Bobby Grace AMG Triumph

Maltby or Wishon or my top picks.  While I still like Maltby's woods and hybrids, I've come to like Wishon's offerings even more.  I personally think the 919THI is the best driver head I've ever swung.

You should be able to get The GolfWorks catalog at Golf Galaxy, although GG no longer stocks Maltby clubheads. (GG owns GW, and Dick's in turn owns GG).

The catalog gives you the details on the different Maltby golf club heads available. Plus, GolfWorks is a major distributor of shafts and golf grips for golfdom worldwide.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

Maltby or Wishon or my top picks.  While I still like Maltby's woods and hybrids, I've come to like Wishon's offerings even more.  I personally think the 919THI is the best driver head I've ever swung.

Wishon stuff is awesome. Currently gaming MC949 4wood and two 785HF hybrids. Unfortunately they only sell to select club builders and not the general public.

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

Originally Posted by 1puttit

Wishon stuff is awesome. Currently gaming MC949 4wood and two 785HF hybrids. Unfortunately they only sell to select club builders and not the general public.

Not totally true.  I am the general public.  I build clubs for myself, and for my family and close friends.  They just don't sell to anyone and everyone that can read a catalog.  I exchanged a few emails with Matt discussing my building experience and tools available.  Had an account set up the next day.   So definitely email or call Matt about getting an account set up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1puttit

Not totally true.  I am the general public.  I build clubs for myself, and for my family and close friends.  They just don't sell to anyone and everyone that can read a catalog.  I exchanged a few emails with Matt discussing my building experience and tools available.  Had an account set up the next day.   So definitely email or call Matt about getting an account set up.

I also have an account . If you are a club builder with some experience and equipment they will setup an account for you. They want to make sure you know what you're doing and have the tools and expertise to do it right. They do not want cut 'n glue guys slapping clubs together because they make high quality stuff and don't want crappy builds to reflect poorly on them. The OP just built his first club, a putter, and now wants to build a wedge. Wishon is not going to setup an account for them until they gain some more expertise.

~ Walter Hagen

Lol, gotcha.  I read the "they only sell to select club builders" the wrong way, thinking you were bummed that you couldn't buy from them.

I have a set of 752TC heads waiting to be put together.  Then the battle between the KE4's and the 752TC's will be on.

Lol, gotcha.  I read the "they only sell to select club builders" the wrong way, thinking you were bummed that you couldn't buy from them.

I have a set of 752TC heads waiting to be put together.  Then the battle between the KE4's and the 752TC's will be on.

I'm gaming Maltby M-05's at the moment. I've been lusting after some Wishon 560MC or maybe the 870Ti but will probably have to wait until next year to make the switch.   The 752TC looks sweet. Good luck with them. If they don't work out for some reason, send me a PM

~ Walter Hagen

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyHorsePete

Hireko bought out Dynacraft several years ago, and before that UT Golf, I think.  They have some good stuff.

Both the Acer XB and Acer XC wedges are very nice. http://www.hirekogolf.com/hireko/orderportal/catalog_presentation/by_catalog/Club+Components%3A+Golf+Wedges/0/1/16/1/0/0

Also check out the Karma grips.Very good (but not great) quality grips at a super low price. The black velvet grips are a lot like golf prides but only a buck a grip.

~ Walter Hagen

Update:  I've decided to take the plunge and bought a Snake Eyes Python XLD 4 iron head.  This thing has a crazy 20 degree loft, and if I like it, it will be replacing my hybrid, which I can't hit worth a damn.   Bought the head, shaft and ferrule for $7 on golfsmith.com.  Package should arrive later this week.  I'll keep everyone posted.

Note: This thread is 4282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!